Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you think Palm is ridiculous I have a story for you. I made a 'safe' that you can store any kind of text in that is password protected and encrypted. Because it's encrypted I have to get a special government approval before I can sell it. I've been waiting since March 15 for that approval. That's a lot of lost revenue...
    Not sure it makes sense to compare Apple's turnaround timeframe with Palm's. Especially since Apple does not charge $50 for app submissions...Apple charges nothing

If you charge a fee (as Palm does) then expectations are higher.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Here is my evidence: Palm charges $50 to review an app. Do you really think they are spending a week doing it? Give me a break. No, they spend 30 minutes or an hour, on average, and the rest of that time is spent waiting. That is a problem that could easily be resolved. My app is free, but if it were paid, that would be a week of revenue lost for no good reason.
    I think your definition of evidence needs work.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I don't think saying that you lost a week's worth of revenue really works in this instance. Wouldn't someone who was going to buy your app on Thursday morning (only two business days ago) be just as likely to purchase it this week? Maybe I'm missing something...
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmxdave View Post
    I don't think saying that you lost a week's worth of revenue really works in this instance. Wouldn't someone who was going to buy your app on Thursday morning (only two business days ago) be just as likely to purchase it this week? Maybe I'm missing something...
    what I'm saying is, you have no revenue while Palm is reviewing it. And yes, you will lose some sales due to it not being in the catalog for that week. Of course, my app is free so this does not apply for me this time. I'm planning to sell the next one, though.
    From my experience, the time for review varies from 5-8 days on first submission and 1-10 days for updates (the long time was over Christmas).

To me, it seems that the time has gone down, not up. Maybe it depends on the application complexity and/or the particular reviewer that was assigned to you. My last update went online in less than 24 hours. In fact, it was so fast, I didn't have time to update my website to indicate the new version was coming.
    mobigamedepot.com
  7.    #27  
    it would be good to know how long it is taking for apps to get approved. I'm sure it changes from week to week. I will post when mine is approved.
  8.    #28  
    Well, my app was approved on Tuesday. I thought that they were going to send me an email. I just happened to be browsing the catalog and saw it.

So go download it already!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Well, my app was approved on Tuesday. I thought that they were going to send me an email. I just happened to be browsing the catalog and saw it.

Yeah, I don't see why they can't automatically send an email to you when they put the app in the catalog. I would think that could be done automatically.
    mobigamedepot.com
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by djpushplay View Post
    Yeah, I don't see why they can't automatically send an email to you when they put the app in the catalog. I would think that could be done automatically.
    This is the text you see after you submit your app:

Palm is excited that you have submitted your app to us for evaluation to be included in the PalmŪ App Catalog. Many thanks for your work so far. The Palm staff reviews apps in the order in which they are received. We appreciate your patience while we complete our review. We will notify you by email if your app has passed review; if it does not pass, we will let you know the reasons. Thanks again.
    I received no such notification...
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    They do put a lot of stuff up that isn't ready yet. They had the international paid info in the form before it was usable. I think they just have stuff on there before they push it live.

BTW, I submitted GuessWhat? (paid) and GuessWhat? Lite (free) on Sunday, and GuessWhat? Lite made it into the catalog last night (or early this morning) - so about 24hrs. Unfortunately I have link in the Lite to download the full version, so here's to hoping that one gets pushed in quickly!
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    I submitted my first app to the catalog yesterday afternoon, it's listed as "Ready for Review" so I'll keep an eye and see what my turnaround time is. I'm stoked Hope I make it in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Not sure it makes sense to compare Apple's turnaround timeframe with Palm's. Especially since Apple does not charge $50 for app submissions...Apple charges nothing

apple charges the cost of an apple computer (be it a macbook, mac mini or imac) for you to submit apps to their appstore. you need a apple computer to even get the development license... thats what's bull, not waiting for approval for a few days.

i don't know that they do review, but i would think they do atleast one "long-term" test so running the app for some hours, letting it do its stuff to see that nothing goes wrong in the longterm, like bufferoverflows a whatnot.

i once build computers to sell, and i would test them extensivly before giving them out to the consumers. at least one 24 hour uptime test, while testing things like ram and hdd.

a few days to a week is well within acceptle time limits.

Congrats on getting your app in the catalog.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  15.    #35  
    Thanks Jeff. I submitted an update on Saturday. It isn't available yet. I guess the only way to tell is to keep checking the catalog, since that email never comes...
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    See, I think Palm should not settle for a week turn around time. I see no reason why it should take a week. I don't care if Apple takes a month.

Mediocrity will run them out of business. Do they want their app catalog to grow? Then they need to provide the resources to review the apps in a timely manner. Don't they realize that time is money for businesses? People who make paid apps would really appreciate a quick turn around time.

I am frequently amazed at how quickly and easily people accept mediocrity. People expect and accept buggy apps that lack important features and buggy updates. Of course, the Palm faithful will put up with it, but the masses will go elsewhere. Then there will be no more Palm for any of us.

I just want Palm to succeed, and I think they are going to have to do better if they are to succeed.
    That's fine, I'm amazed at how easily people turn to impatience and "Now Attitude". Life is not about 'gimme gimme gimme'... It still takes time. Since you do (nor I) actually KNOW the process it goes thru, don't complain about.

Besides, you can ALWAYS go thru the web distribution model!!!! No one else has that (at least that i know of)
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Here is my evidence: Palm charges $50 to review an app. Do you really think they are spending a week doing it? Give me a break. No, they spend 30 minutes or an hour, on average, and the rest of that time is spent waiting. That is a problem that could easily be resolved. My app is free, but if it were paid, that would be a week of revenue lost for no good reason.
    Where does it state from Palm that the $50 is to "review an app"? Specifically? Where? Do they not offer you CATALOG to sell it in??? Do they not pay for the staff to RUN Palm? Did they not pay for the R&D to come up with WebOS??? Do YOU pay for the building lease & staff????

Be real man, your $50 doesn't really do much...
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post

But that's exactly what we ARE saying -what 'expectations' are you comparing to?? Palm HAS the fastest app approval response times.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12