Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Hi everyone,

I'm not very familiar with Preware, but I'm hoping that someone with more homebrew experience might understand whether what I am asking is feasible or not.

I'm interested in setting up a transparent proxy on my phone for ad and site blocking, however the tutorial I found is pretty hands-on. This seems like the sort of thing which would be nice to automate.

SetupSquidTransparentProxy - WebOS Internals

Can Preware handle this, or does this not really work as an install/uninstall type app, because of its changes to the network config?

Thank you!
    You can install squid from ipkg-opt from the CLI but... really, you don't want to unless you don't want to use your phone for anything else. I would recommend tinyproxy instead; I use that myself at home on a K6-350 firewall with minimal memory usage.

ipkg-opt list | grep proxy will show you more options.

Cheers, Steve
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Oh, I see, so its sort of greedy in terms of performance?

Does tinyproxy require the firewall that's set up on your home computer? Are you familiar with another solution which works when wireless?
    Quote Originally Posted by elyon View Post
    Oh, I see, so its sort of greedy in terms of performance?

Does tinyproxy require the firewall that's set up on your home computer? Are you familiar with another solution which works when wireless?
    Squid is designed for enterprise grade use, for example it is commonly used by ISPs to serve thousands of customers. It is not particularly greedy for what it is, but I certainly wouldn't want to try using it on my phone.

Tinyproxy works fine, I don't see any reason you would need a firewall unless you're trying to make it a bit harder for people to steal access by filtering by MAC or something similar. I imagine you would have to set up ad-hoc networking if you're looking at running this over wifi.

nylon would be another option, that is a socks proxy which is more generic than a web proxy.

Personally I just novaterm in and ssh out from there. I have no real need for graphical apps myself.

Cheers, Steve
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    You can install squid from ipkg-opt from the CLI but... really, you don't want to unless you don't want to use your phone for anything else. I would recommend tinyproxy instead; I use that myself at home on a K6-350 firewall with minimal memory usage.

ipkg-opt list | grep proxy will show you more options.

Cheers, Steve
    I use tinyproxy as well installed via Debian Chroot. Works great.

*Note if you do this you may find an error complaining about Memory upon loading. This really means that it cannot write to the /tmp folder (in chroot). Just 'chmod a+rwx /tmp'