Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    use ERU emergency reconstruction utility in preware
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    use ERU emergency reconstruction utility in preware
    Thanks! It worked perfectly. I remember hearing about this a while back but didn't know what it did. Now I do! Thanks again.
    Okay, so this appears to have helped some like I posted earlier. However, here is my question, don't know if anyone will have any suggestions or ideas.

After a reboot, full or just luna, I can launch anything with ease. Any app, 3D game, whatever. And lots of them. As the day goes on, things are fine. I can have lots of apps open, however I don't really play any 3D games during the day. Then I come home at night. I try to fire up a 3D game, and BAM too many cards. So I close a couple. I have maybe at most 5-6 running anyway. Still too many cards. I close a couple more, too many cards. I close the last of the cards so that NOTHING is running. I STILL CANNOT OPEN A F*(@#$&ing 3D game. Only a reboot (luna or full, I usually just do luna since it is faster) will let me launch a 3D game. So my question is, WHAT THE HELL is causing this? What is preventing a game from launching when NOTHING else is already running? I rarely want to play games simply because of this hassle of waiting a few minutes just to get the damn thing to launch. I understand games and such are in C or whatever, so not really a java issue so maybe this patch won't help, but there has to be something running wild sucking up all the memory.

Anyone have any thoughts???????
    I haven't experienced that problem mines has been working real smooth
    I haven't experienced that problem mines has been working real smooth
    Do you by chance use Tweed? Or Weather Window? I'm wondering if there is something simple that is running in the background that is causing this.

I'm about to just do a FULL erase, run the doctor, then restore things and see if that will help.... its just such a pain to go through all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    Okay, so this appears to have helped some like I posted earlier. However, here is my question, don't know if anyone will have any suggestions or ideas.

After a reboot, full or just luna, I can launch anything with ease. Any app, 3D game, whatever. And lots of them. As the day goes on, things are fine. I can have lots of apps open, however I don't really play any 3D games during the day. Then I come home at night. I try to fire up a 3D game, and BAM too many cards. So I close a couple. I have maybe at most 5-6 running anyway. Still too many cards. I close a couple more, too many cards. I close the last of the cards so that NOTHING is running. I STILL CANNOT OPEN A F*(@#$&ing 3D game. Only a reboot (luna or full, I usually just do luna since it is faster) will let me launch a 3D game. So my question is, WHAT THE HELL is causing this? What is preventing a game from launching when NOTHING else is already running? I rarely want to play games simply because of this hassle of waiting a few minutes just to get the damn thing to launch. I understand games and such are in C or whatever, so not really a java issue so maybe this patch won't help, but there has to be something running wild sucking up all the memory.

Anyone have any thoughts???????
    I have the EXACT same issue, I cannot say it is since doing this patch becuase I never tried to do these things. But all honesty I never once had a issue opening a 3d game in all my pre uses, yeah on first reboot I can load up a crazy amount of things with a 3d game running, but as the day progresses and the night hits I try to open a 3d game, bam two many cards even with 1 application open (news room).

But again, the problem you described is exactly whats happening to me. To the LETTER.

I can tell you I only applied this becuase I felt it was a valid fix. However, I had NEVER received a TMC error. Don't fix it if it isn't broken ehh?

I might be reverting this patch here shortly.
    Do you by chance use Tweed? Or Weather Window? I'm wondering if there is something simple that is running in the background that is causing this.

I'm about to just do a FULL erase, run the doctor, then restore things and see if that will help.... its just such a pain to go through all that.
    No I don't use Tweed or weather window a simple test would be to turn off all of your apps running in the background and then retry. I only get tmc when I try to open more than one 3dgame at a time. Did you apply both patches in this thread? Are you runnng Jstop to see what else is running in the background?
  8.    #68  
    What you are describing are classic symptoms of a memory leak. Some application you are running is either (a) requesting extra bits of memory intermittently for a growing data set (govnah has this issue, for example) or (b) is requesting memory and not properly returning memory to the system.

If you are interested in finding out which app it is causing the problem, I have had most success tracing this sort of thing down with a binary search:

Day 1: Run half of the apps you normally do for a couple of days and see if there is any difference.
    Day 3: No difference? Run the other half for a couple of days. Difference? Halve the number of apps running and run them for a couple of days.
    Day 5: No difference? Run the other half for a couple of days. Difference? Halve the number of apps running and run them for a couple of days.
    Day 7: You will probably know by now which app is causing the memory leak (or you're running sufficient apps you need to search even further).

Cheers, Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    What you are describing are classic symptoms of a memory leak. Some application you are running is either (a) requesting extra bits of memory intermittently for a growing data set (govnah has this issue, for example) or (b) is requesting memory and not properly returning memory to the system.

If you are interested in finding out which app it is causing the problem, I have had most success tracing this sort of thing down with a binary search:

Day 1: Run half of the apps you normally do for a couple of days and see if there is any difference.
    Day 3: No difference? Run the other half for a couple of days. Difference? Halve the number of apps running and run them for a couple of days.
    Day 5: No difference? Run the other half for a couple of days. Difference? Halve the number of apps running and run them for a couple of days.
    Day 7: You will probably know by now which app is causing the memory leak (or you're running sufficient apps you need to search even further).

Cheers, Steve
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to be doing this all week to try and narrow down the culprit.

Also, thanks mamouton also for you help. I do use jstop, however it doesn't appear to be anything I can see using that app.... though to be honest I may just not even see it right in front of my face.

Something in the back of my mind is pointing to Tweed, because its really the only thing I have always used 100% of the time since I've had my Pre (launch day, and still original launch day Pre I might add), and I don't have too much else that should be working in the background. I have 1 gmail and 1 yahoo account (set to as items arrive). I use weather window running updates on the hour, so that could be a possibility, but its a new app to me and I remember this same problem before I had that app. Facebook now does notification checks every 20 minutes... arrgghhh.... I wish it was simplier... oh well.

Thanks again for the help you guys.
    If you think it is tweed I would turn off the notifications part of the app and see if that fixes your problem.
    If you think it is tweed I would turn off the notifications part of the app and see if that fixes your problem.
    I did just that last night. I noticed in JStop that before I did that (noticed this many times), with nothing open my memory usage was around 18-20 MB. After I turned off notifications, it will now get as low as 11-13 MB with nothing open. And I could then immediately launch a 3D game, and then 4-5 other apps.

That was last night. I'm going to use my phone all day as I normally would. Then tonight, try to play some games. If I can launch them, then that is good evidence Tweed was the culprit. If I still can't like usual, then back to the drawing board.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    Sure. Start by installing Linux on your host PC and getting the hang of vi. Then you need to figure out mounting and unmounting. Next, install diff and try diff against a few text files of your own to see what I mean by a reverse patch. Finally, delete your kernel and figure out how to rescue your system.

Once you've done that, this should be a piece of cake.

Cheers, Steve
    I'm not gonna say a thing.... Okay. I have to. That was hilarious... I am just trying to learn C++ right now... Java maybe one day
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I think this might be a placebo.. Apps run under luna - this is for java services. When I was doing performance tuning on webos months back (and it may have changed since then) the java services heap size was always managable with plenty of left-over heap space. But the Luna jvm was taking more then it should - which resulted in swapping and eventually too many cards error..

-m
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I think this might be a placebo.. Apps run under luna - this is for java services. When I was doing performance tuning on webos months back (and it may have changed since then) the java services heap size was always managable with plenty of left-over heap space. But the Luna jvm was taking more then it should - which resulted in swapping and eventually too many cards error..

-m
    See the luna conf (somewhere in /etc/palm, I think?) to see how many extra jars get loaded. This patch also enables aggressive GC, which will help (and I don't think people quite realise the effect of this - I suspect that helps more than the extra memory alone).

I doubled the stack and heap values just to see what would happen since that's a known fix for JOSM in the openstreetmap world; there is a non-zero probability you are correct that it may be a placebo, though.

Cheers, Steve
    I don't get it. Why not just open the phone app, type "##logs#" and turn off logging? That what the patch does is disable logging. I can't tell if the Java patch is raising or lowering memory allocated (because of the "-" before the number). If the system "naturally" allows for complete disabling of logging, then why patch critical system files to disable logging?

M.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I don't get it. Why not just open the phone app, type "##logs#" and turn off logging? That what the patch does is disable logging. I can't tell if the Java patch is raising or lowering memory allocated (because of the "-" before the number). If the system "naturally" allows for complete disabling of logging, then why patch critical system files to disable logging?

M.
    I don't see any option to turn off logging, just to change the logging settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    I don't see any option to turn off logging, just to change the logging settings.
    OK, it's "Set To Minimal". I was remembering wrong. Still, if the point is to drasticlly reduce logging (far less drive wake ups), then we don't need to hack at system files to do it. That was my only point.

I'm all for the patching stuff, but, at the system level it gets spooky because you don't know what Palm's bonaries are looking for.

M.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    ok, I just set mine to minimal
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    OK, it's "Set To Minimal". I was remembering wrong. Still, if the point is to drasticlly reduce logging (far less drive wake ups), then we don't need to hack at system files to do it. That was my only point.

I'm all for the patching stuff, but, at the system level it gets spooky because you don't know what Palm's bonaries are looking for.

M.
    What do you think all the system kernels are? Lol

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I gave these patches a try...but I suspect there is a leak in webOS simply because 1.4.1.1 has from the beginning had more too many cards errors then previous releases of webOS??? The patch update has minimized this slightly, I can load the browsers, Preware, Engadgets app, and then things begin to get worse after that. I don't have any 3D games, but if I get the TMC error with only the basics...3D will certainly fail.

Either way, Palm made mention to moving away from Java in their last developer conference and switching things over to Javascript as their primary interface and control mechanism. Hopefully this resolve these Memory Error problems and we can finally say goodbye to TMC errors.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast