Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 88
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    A patch may not have been devleoped for this becuase it hasn't picked up enough attention. Again I managed to edit mine in notepad lol, grab from webos quick install and put back reboot. No idea if theres a difference becuase I never had the card error since I don't leave applications open. :-p
    Would you say that the screenshot I attached looks like what you did when you edited in notepad? If so, I'll make a quick backup of the original file and then send this back to the phone and reboot.

    I get the Too Many Cards warning a lot. And usually I have to end up closing every card just to get back to a working state. I tried JStop with Auto Garbage Collection turned on, however with that I saw the Too Many Cards error all the time when playing any 3D games. And the game would be the only thing open. So I turned that off, and can run the games again no problems, however I can only run a game. No other cards usually, except maybe phone or messaging. And I'm using the 800 MHz kernel developed by Unixpsycho and caj2008. So I'd really like to give this a shot.
  2. #42  
    I developed a patch for both the reverse patched files steve references and I can say my phone is running much smoother. I haven't seen the dreadful tmc error since i applied the patches in this thread.
  3. #43  
    WOW! I've opened 15 apps so far and still haven't recieved the TMC open error. I usually only could open 2 or 3. Thanks!!!
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I developed a patch for both the reverse patched files steve references and I can say my phone is running much smoother. I haven't seen the dreadful tmc error since i applied the patches in this thread.
    Wanna post them here? I for one would be grateful.
  5. #45  
    Had 15 open, but when I tried using the web browser, it loaded the page and then a second later i recieved the TMC open error. Closed the browser and nothing so far, so @ 14 and holding.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Just out of curiousity, are we not allowed to post the patched files here. Because there likly all identical. Why not just post the patched ones? Is it breaking copyright law by doing so?
    I don't believe it would be breaking copyright law as it would be covered by fair use doctrine, plus it would be useless to anyone who does not own a Pre. I believe the forum admins would not be best pleased to see rather large files posted that only have a couple of lines changed, however.

    The reason I posted the files the way they did are:

    * If you do not know how to back out a change of this magnitude, you may break your phone and be unable to recover. I thought I made this fairly clear.
    * If you know what you are doing it is a trivial modification. If you don't know what you are doing but are willing to investigate, it becomes a relatively easy modification.
    * I am not a developer, I am not here for tech support, I am a hacker trying to make my phone faster for my own use. As I am standing on the shoulders of giants (rwhitby and unixpsycho, to name but two) I feel obligated to share my discoveries. I do not feel obligated to do packaging and testing as I am hacking on my phone to make it faster on a daily basis.
    * If you (or anyone else) wish to take my code and package it as a patch yourself, feel free. Acknowledgement would be nice, but my interest in generating software for end users these days hovers somewhere between zero and nil.

    See ******* Operator From Hell Official Archive for a reasonably accurate summation of my attitude.

    Cheers, Steve
  7. #47  
    After I read steve's warning I decided it was worth taking the risk. I will post the patch with Steve's acknowledgement when I get home.
  8. #48  
    rock on steve! Do it mamouton! Woohoo! Tmc please go away.
  9. twbbas's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #49  
    I can't wait to get this patch!
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS UNLESS YOU ARE CONFIDENT YOU CAN BACK UP YOUR FILES AND UNDERSTAND A PATCH DONE BACKWARDS AND MANUALLY APPLY. IF YOU BREAK THIS FILE, YOUR PRE WILL NOT BOOT. PLEASE HAVE FUN RESTORING YOUR PALM YOURSELF.

    Cheers, Steve
    I want to restate Steve's warning. I can only speak on the success I have had. I researched and was prepared to doctor the Pre if needed. Apply at your own risk.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  11. #51  
    Well I am no developer nor do I claim to have any advanced knowledge of Java or what this file does.

    What I can say is that I applied both patches that mamouton posted and it has definitely made a difference. I had Asphalt5 running with Tweed, Email, Crosswords, and the browser on precentral mobile site. Before, I could never have anything more than maybe the phone dialer or messaging open with a 3D PDK game. I could switch between the open apps quickly. I could close things, including Asphalt5 and re-open, no problems. This was all last night after applying the patches, and obviously I had just rebooted the phone, but before even after a reboot I could never do all that. So the real test will be today, seeing if I continue to have such luck. By tonight, if I can continue to launch a 3D game with a couple things running in the background, I will be supremely impressed.

    Thanks again to sbromwich for figuring this all out and to mamouton for packaging it up in patch form so I didn't have to run the risk of manually editing files like I was planning on doing.
  12. #52  
    Hello. I learned how to, and did install quilt just to apply these patches. Thanks to them I have running these apps right now:


    - Comics
    - Wapedia
    - Facebook for WebOS (the latest stable version)
    - Need For Speed Undercover
    - AirTraffic Lite
    - Card Ace Texas Hold'em
    - Helicopter (That silly app that will get a billion dollars from palm)
    - Calculator
    - Global Shoutbox
    - Preware
    - Internalz

    Now it won't open another app, because it gives TMC... What about closing NFSU??

    I closed NFSU and I could open, with no closing of other apps but NFSU:

    - Appscoop
    - PDF viewer
    - Docs Viewer
    - Terminus
    - Google Maps

    ...and now it hanged. I will wait to see if that was because of locking a gps signal... Nopes! It restarted Luna, it seems. Anyway, it's impressive the amount of apps I could start with this patch.

    But... What about the big guys? I'll try to start those free games Palm offered to download for free until March, 31st.

    Monopoly loads... OK. Now for The Sims 3... Oops! TMC. And NFSU?? Let's try... D'oh! another TMC. This Monopoly hunts for memory!! Let's try The Sims 3 alone... OK. It's loading. And now, while loading, I'll try Monopoly. TMC. Well, I'll try NFSU... TMC.

    Well, it seems there are still apps too memory hungry that won't let others of their kind to load. Maybe as they are 3D apps, they lock the 3D libraries for themselves and won't let others to use them, and that's why they force a tmc...

    It could be useful if someone with a Pre Plus could test it.

    @sbromwich: Thanks for your hacks. If it works for you, and make your Pre better, it will make mine too. Thanks.

    @mamouton: Thanks for creating the .patch files so I could test them by using quilt.

    Anyway, thanks anyone working on improving Pre.
  13. #53  
    I just installed both patches and didn't receive any error messages, but after I rebooted (full reboot, not just Luna) my data/phone connection went haywire. Cycled from Ev to 1x to no signal and around again over and over. I removed both and now it seems to be back to normal.

    Is that something that could be caused by these patches despite a successful install?
  14. #54  
    Installed both and used the Family Guy app. I usually get a TMC if I try to open anything else when playing this game. This time I opened it and tried a few cards with no problem.

    However, two 3d games open without TMC is still elusive to me and I feel the true test of a fix is if it could cure this and actually kill TMC forever.

    TY for patches.

    edit: just tried to open FG on it's own and got TMC...
    Last edited by japclev; 04/20/2010 at 03:29 PM.
  15. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by japclev View Post

    However, two 3d games open without TMC is still elusive to me and I feel the true test of a fix is if it could cure this and actually kill TMC forever.
    Maybe this is obvious, but I think we need to be careful about what we're expecting here. The TMC "error" in many cases is completely legitimate. You have a finite amount of memory on the device, and as you continue to open apps you will eventually run out of memory and get the TMC. This is normal.

    If after a fresh reboot you can open a 3D game, plus maybe 3 other apps before getting TMC, then this is normal. Think of this as your baseline. Your Pre is simply out of physical memory. The goal of tweaks like sbromwich's is not to "fix" this problem. (because it's not really a problem)
    Where the TMC error is problematic is when it occurs when it shouldn't. Meaning, when you could previously open 10 apps (after a fresh reboot), but now 5 days later you can only open 1. THAT is the TMC problem that we need to worry about, and the one that - I think - sbromwich and others are attempting to fix/help/reduce. Now to me, that kind of behavior smells like a memory leak - and no amount of garbage collecting can fix a memory leak. That said, there may be other causes that ARE being helped by sbromwich's tweak.

    Again, my apologies if I'm stating the obvious. It's just that this whole TMC thing is complex and I think there's a lot of people out there who think getting a TMC always means that something is wrong, when in many cases it isn't.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Maybe this is obvious, but I think we need to be careful about what we're expecting here. The TMC "error" in many cases is completely legitimate. You have a finite amount of memory on the device, and as you continue to open apps you will eventually run out of memory and get the TMC. This is normal.
    Correct. Yet again the principle of TANSTAAFL applies. There are also two caveats:

    * Exit on oom is disabled. This means that (as I think someone has already discovered) when you run out of memory, Java will crash and burn.

    * This is for Java based services, which a lot of the phone's services are dependent on (eg phone, email, calendaring, facebook, etc). 3D games are generally C, not Java (as I understand it) so I would be dubious about 3D games doing much more than perhaps forcing a garbage collection run.

    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    If after a fresh reboot you can open a 3D game, plus maybe 3 other apps before getting TMC, then this is normal. Think of this as your baseline. Your Pre is simply out of physical memory. The goal of tweaks like sbromwich's is not to "fix" this problem. (because it's not really a problem)
    Where the TMC error is problematic is when it occurs when it shouldn't. Meaning, when you could previously open 10 apps (after a fresh reboot), but now 5 days later you can only open 1. THAT is the TMC problem that we need to worry about, and the one that - I think - sbromwich and others are attempting to fix/help/reduce. Now to me, that kind of behavior smells like a memory leak - and no amount of garbage collecting can fix a memory leak. That said, there may be other causes that ARE being helped by sbromwich's tweak.
    Bingo. There are memory leaks galore in Java (no matter whose implementation), and this is something I experienced with JOSM, the Java Openstreetmap editor. The fix there is again... Ramp up the amount of available memory.

    Cheers, Steve
  17. #57  
    So we should continue to accept square apps trying to fit into a round phone....

    Believe me, I completely understand going above a limit and expecting problems.

    However, one 3D game and one other app is considered multitasking. If I get a TMC, don't tell me I can multitask.

    My two 3D games open at one time analogy was a way for me to set a bar that would make me feel comfortable going up to that line but not crossing. I didn't mean to say I want 3,000 apps open on 250MB.
    Last edited by japclev; 04/21/2010 at 03:32 PM.
    Oh c'mon guys, it's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings these days.---Fletch
  18. blkav8r's Avatar
    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #58  
    I've eliminated my too many cards errors by simply turning off developer mode - only on when needed
  19. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by japclev View Post
    So we should continue to accept square apps trying to fit into a round phone....

    Believe me, I completely understand going above a limit and expecting problems.

    However, one 3D game and one other app is considered multitasking. If I get a TMC, don't tell me I can multitask.

    My two 3D games open at one time analogy was a way for me to set a bar that would make me feel comfortable going up to that line but not crossing. I didn't mean to say I want 3,000 apps open on 250MB.
    I know what you're saying, I'm just trying to point out that getting a TMC doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. Now we might define "problem" differently, such as you could blame Palm for not putting more ram in the Sprint version of the Pre (and I'd totally agree with you). But that's not a software problem that any of us can fix.
  20. twbbas's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #60  
    Ok so this is very weird. I don't know if the Java Mod patch posted by mamouton did this or not (and I'm not blaming him or anyone besides myself) but I noticed a few days after I installed the patch that preware didn't recognize any of my installed packages except the java mod patch.

    I don't know if the patch caused this or what happened but it happened after I installed the patch. Anyone know why this occurred?

    It still doesn't recognize any patches or packages except the ones that I re-install. Does anyone have a fix for this?

    I may just doctor since I've been planning on doing a doctor one of these days.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions