Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    Sure. Start by installing Linux on your host PC and getting the hang of vi. Then you need to figure out mounting and unmounting. Next, install diff and try diff against a few text files of your own to see what I mean by a reverse patch. Finally, delete your kernel and figure out how to rescue your system.

Once you've done that, this should be a piece of cake.

Cheers, Steve
    nvm then.. I dnt like installing on my pc, and it sounds too complicated..lol, but question, did you still see the TMC after this?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2jas View Post
    nvm then.. I dnt like installing on my pc, and it sounds too complicated..lol, but question, did you still see the TMC after this?
    If you do not have the experience to repair a *nix system you are not ready to try any of my changes. Modifying files that are called on bootup risks putting it in a reboot loop, or worst case scenario killing your phone.

If someone else wishes to package this as a patch for the average end user to install from Preware I have no objection, but I will not be doing it myself.

Cheers, Steve
    Steve you are really helping me learn more about this phone daily. I have made the change and getting ready to install now. You provide information and if the end user wants to use they have to research to find solution. You must be a teacher at heart!! Thanks!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Steve you are really helping me learn more about this phone daily. I have made the change and getting ready to install now. You provide information and if the end user wants to use they have to research to find solution. You must be a teacher at heart!! Thanks!
    I have given lectures and talks in the past, yes. I like to give people just enough information to get them started in the right direction :-)

Cheers, Steve
    did the java mod! able to open Shrekkarting, email, messaging, preware, phone, and calendar before the tmc error now. Great find I used to could only open a 3d game and nothing else. with the faster animation patch I don't even see the card fly up and open.
    Last edited by mamouton; 04/16/2010 at 12:13 AM.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I believe it runs various services, particularly background ones such as synergy, IPC, and mail handling. ps auxww | grep -i java | tr : '\n' | less will show you the jars it loads in a relatively legible format.

Cheers, Steve
    So how does increasing the Java heap size allow a bunch more cards to be opened, presumably ones that aren't requiring any of these backend services? I would think that the bulk of the memory being used to run apps is coming out of the javascript heap. Not questioning your results at all, I'm just not understanding why this change would have such a profound impact on "regular" applications. Thanks,
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    So how does increasing the Java heap size allow a bunch more cards to be opened, presumably ones that aren't requiring any of these backend services? I would think that the bulk of the memory being used to run apps is coming out of the javascript heap. Not questioning your results at all, I'm just not understanding why this change would have such a profound impact on "regular" applications. Thanks,
    I'm honestly not sure. My suspicion is there's some service that the cards are dependent on that sucks down heap, such that when multiple cards are opened this service uses up all the heap and cards have to be closed to free up the heap.

I've also made other changes as well; the garbage collection is now aggressive, for example, which might also be a contributing factor.

Cheers, Steve
    any more updates on this? anyone else try it?
    Someone needs to package this up. Im not as advanced into my phone where this is somthing id want to do alone. But great work to the OP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Someone needs to package this up. Im not as advanced into my phone where this is somthing id want to do alone. But great work to the OP!
    Well, I made this simple, since I am somewhat knowlegdable. I just downloaded the service boot file that needed to be edited and modified it on my windows pc (using notepad) so I kept all the breaks as needed and did not change formating (same as editing bits).

I was able to open NOVA, Calender, NewsRoom, Email, Call, and a few others before I got the too many cards error.

Honestly don't know if thats any better considering I never got the too many cards becuase I don't tend to leave apps open but.... yey?
    Can someone please package this and submit to preware for us less technically knowledgeable people?
    i notice i only get the TMC with no apps open after i use the phone a lot with the facebook app or browse the web then try to open a 3d game..... but once the 3d game is open 1st i can open w/e i want after that.... (with out this patch)
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by VenpaCasa View Post
    i notice i only get the TMC with no apps open after i use the phone a lot with the facebook app or browse the web then try to open a 3d game..... but once the 3d game is open 1st i can open w/e i want after that.... (with out this patch)
    This modification enables aggressive garbage collection, which I think may be the main driver. Running 3D games also, I think, forces Luna to do a garbage collection run which may be what you're seeing.

Cheers, Steve
    I can't believe this isn't already a patch, it would ease a bunch of whining pre users from posting the too many cards error on most of the 3D games reviews and hurting the quality of the game(s) themself
    This modification enables aggressive garbage collection, which I think may be the main driver. Running 3D games also, I think, forces Luna to do a garbage collection run which may be what you're seeing.

Cheers, Steve
    oh i see... i use jstop and have auto garbage collection on and still get tmc so im assuming your MOD is more effective, good job unfortunately im not skilled enough to do it my self thx for your hard work tho keep it up!

ps i have A TON on patches on could some of those be the culprit? also in 1.4.0 i barely got the tmc with the 800mhz kernel..... another thing i noticed when i run a 3d game (NOVA) and open jstop it doesn't show up there at all.... is that normal?
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by VenpaCasa View Post
    oh i see... i use jstop and have auto garbage collection on and still get tmc so im assuming your MOD is more effective, good job unfortunately im not skilled enough to do it my self thx for your hard work tho keep it up!

ps i have A TON on patches on could some of those be the culprit? also in 1.4.0 i barely got the tmc with the 800mhz kernel..... another thing i noticed when i run a 3d game (NOVA) and open jstop it doesn't show up there at all.... is that normal?
    The mod I made is changing the method of garbage collection to try to scavenge back more memory at the expense of CPU time, not necessarily running it more frequently.

The patches *might* be a culprit but I would be dubious.

I think NOVA is a purely C app, so I would imagine that is the reason it isn't showing up in JSTop.

Cheers, Steve
    Does this look correct? I've applied what was posted in post #10 to the appropriate file, but wanted to verify first just to be safe. Thanks-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just out of curiousity, are we not allowed to post the patched files here. Because there likly all identical. Why not just post the patched ones? Is it breaking copyright law by doing so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Just out of curiousity, are we not allowed to post the patched files here. Because there likly all identical. Why not just post the patched ones? Is it breaking copyright law by doing so?
    I think it is "illegal" maybe because it is Palm's code. Or something to that affect.

That is why we do patches. Patches are just small snippets or portions of code from a file, thus since we aren't re-distributing the complete file, it is okay.
    Last edited by supercluver; 04/19/2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: further info
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    I think it is "illegal" maybe because it is Palm's code. Or something to that affect.

That is why we do patches. Patches are just small snippets or portions of code from a file, thus since we aren't re-distributing the complete file, it is okay.
    A patch may not have been devleoped for this becuase it hasn't picked up enough attention. Again I managed to edit mine in notepad lol, grab from webos quick install and put back reboot. No idea if theres a difference becuase I never had the card error since I don't leave applications open. :-p
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast