Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Problem Solved for Ubuntu 9.10 (but not 10.04):
    Solved by removing linux-backports modules.
    Great forum! I'm glad I found it because I could use a little help...

I just got the Pre and set up the hotspot. I'm able to connect to the hotspot with Ubuntu 9.10, Win XP and Win 7 without a hitch using WPA/WPA2 Personal or Open connections. Service is slow on XP, but not bad on Win 7 and Ubuntu.

The problem is that when using Ubuntu, the Pre is constantly disconnecting and then reconnecting the computer. It seems that Ubuntu never even knows that the Hotspot is being dropped. It gets a solid signal the entire time. The Pre Plus alerts me when the connection is dropped and then picked up again.

Running windows 7 on the same machine works fine, but all of my projects and in Ubuntu and I need internet access. I only use Windows for testing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update:
    Problem Solved for Ubuntu 9.10 (but not 10.04):
    Update:
    This is now affecting Ubuntu 10.04 users: Problem with 3G Mobile Hotspot connectivity - Ubuntu Forums

I have confirmed this behavior and filed a a bug with Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/577015

I still wonder if this might be a problem with WebOS not working with the latest Linux wireless drivers or possibly a problem with Intel's latest Linux drivers. (Both of my laptops have Intel cards.) Either way, WebOS and Linux/Intel are not on the same page.

Is there a place to file a bug with WebOS so they are aware of the issue?
    Is anyone else having problems with Palm Pre Plus's wireless hopspot?

Anyone using Ubuntu 10.04 with the Hot Spot? (As stated, it works fine with 9.10 as long as you are not using the latest backports module.)

Any other devices or operating systems affected?

Please provide help if you can, thanks.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; 05/17/2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Hot Spot Bug
  2.    #2  
    Okay, maybe I should be more clear.

1. The hotspot and phone seem to be working fine. The hotspot does not drop, just the connection to the Ubuntu computer. The windows computer is not affected.

2. The laptop and Ubuntu work fine. Never had connectivity problems before and the same hardware works flawlessly when using Win 7.

My guess is that the Hotspot doesn't like something about how Ubuntu is communicating with it, but I don't know enough about these things to figure out why. I have tried using the Hotspot with and without encryption.

Thanks.
  3.    #3  
    I was able to use the hotspot with another laptop using Ubuntu without any trouble at all. Looks like WebOS and the Pre are off the hook here. Still not sure what to do about it. Any ides would be appreciated.
  4.    #4  
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    glad we could help you solve your problem.
  6.    #6  
    Update:

This is now affecting Ubuntu 10.04 users: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1454397

I have confirmed this behavior and filed a a bug with Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/577015

I still wonder if this might be a problem with WebOS not working with the latest Linux wireless drivers or possibly a problem with Intel's latest Linux drivers. (Both of my laptops have Intel cards.) Either way, WebOS and Linux/Intel are not on the same page.

Is there a place to file a bug with WebOS so they are aware of the issue?
    Is anyone else having problems with Palm Pre Plus's wireless hopspot?

Anyone using Ubuntu 10.04 with the Hot Spot? (As stated, it works fine with 9.10 as long as you are not using the latest backports module.)

Any other devices or operating systems affected?

Please provide help if you can, thanks.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; 05/07/2010 at 01:26 PM.
  7.    #7  
    I'll up date the links as soon as I make 10 posts.
  8.    #8  
    Post #9
  9.    #9  
    Post #10...links to follow.
  10.    #10  
    This problem has been confirmed and it looks to be a bug with the Hot Spot app. Cek from the Ubuntu forum has found honed in on the problem. Problem with 3G Mobile Hotspot connectivity - Ubuntu Forums

Quote Originally Posted by cek View Post
    ...I think it's a bug with the Palm Hotspot software.

It's not responding to direct probe requests from a direct packet, the probe request needs to be sent to the broadcast address.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; 05/17/2010 at 08:20 PM.
    Work around:
    Ubuntu Forums - View Single Post - Problem with 3G Mobile Hotspot connectivity

and he is referencing this post 'above'
    Ubuntu Forums - View Single Post - Problem with 3G Mobile Hotspot connectivity

This is a bit too advance for me. I'm on an Eee PC 900 with ubuntu 10.04. Can someone help me?
  12.    #12  
    This one is going to be a little tricky. I would suggest asking cek for the edited file and instructions on how to back up and replace the original file.

I'm sticking with 9.10 for now.
  13.    #13  
    Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm looking suggestions on how to get a patch created or a fix for the mobile Hotspot. It does not work with the latest Linux drivers. I started a post a while back in the Ubuntu Forums and a work around had been suggested along with the possible cause.

I am posting this in hopes that some of you developers will take the time to read it and see if there is a solution that could be implemented on WebOS to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Problem with 3G Mobile Hotspot connectivity - Page 4 - Ubuntu Forums

Note to Moderators. Please feel free to move this thread to the most appropriate forum. Thanks.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; 09/03/2010 at 08:19 AM.
  14.    #14  
    Here is the suggested cause and possible solution:

Alright, I think I have a solution to the issue, and I think it's a bug with the Palm Hotspot software.

It's not responding to direct probe requests from a direct packet, the probe request needs to be sent to the broadcast address.

It would be relatively simple to patch this in the kernel to mask the issue, but I'm not sure if that is the "correct" approach. Likely that will be faster than we can get Palm to address it though...
    And here is how he was able to work around it in Ubuntu. Not very beginner friendly.

Since this is likely a buggy implementation in the Palm Hotspot app (and who knows when that will be fixed!), the easiest way to fix this is to download the wireless drivers for your kernel from the compat-wireless link above, patch it (for a workaround), and install the updated modules.

I confirmed that this will work for 10.04 and the Palm Pre.

Download the drivers for your kernel and extract the source code as documented in the link above.

Within the source for the wireless drivers, open the file: ./net/mac80211/mlme.c

with gedit (or whatever text editing program you prefer), search for the following:

ieee80211_send_probe_req(sdata, ifmgd->associated->cbss.bssid,

This should lead you to two lines of code that look like this:

Code:
     ssid + 2, ssid[1], NULL, 0);
    Comment out these two lines of code and replace with the same function call with different arguments, the finished product should look like this:

Code:
    /*
     ssid + 2, ssid[1], NULL, 0);
    */
    ieee80211_send_probe_req(sdata, NULL, ssid + 2, ssid[1], NULL, 0);
    This will address the issue and you're Palm Pre's access point should work for you.

Since this is apparently a bug in the Palm hotspot application it is not likely that a fix will come from the kernel, so this work around appears to be necessary for the time being.

If you have any problems, just drop a note in here and I'll try to help when I can.
    I hoping this will provide enough insight to develop a patch for WebOS or get Palm to fix the Hotspot.
    I've ran into this with the latest linux kernels, mine was disconnecting/reconnecting every few minutes. I've done some extensive searching on it lol, for my issue it seems to be a bug in the kernel. For now, I just boot off of a previous kernel from a few releases back and MHS works flawless that way. If I was at home I'd tell you which build it is that's working great for me.
  16.    #16  
    It's not the kernel. Take whatever kernel you're using and add the latest compat-wireless or Ubuntu backports package. You will have the same issues.
    I have found this to be fixed in the 1.4.5 release of webos.

UPDATE: this does not work
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 04/19/2011 at 08:44 PM.
    sorry - double post
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 09/16/2010 at 02:40 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Not for me.

I've tested with fresh installs of Peppermint One, Peppermint Ice, and Ubuntu 10.4 (64-bit, 32-bit and Netbook Remix!) I tested all systems with my Pre Plus and my wife's brand new Pre Plus. Both phones have the Verizon 1.4.5 updates and I tried each phone with and without encryption. None worked without the patched driver while all of them worked flawlessly with the patched driver.
    Unfortunately (and sorry for the delayed response), this actually did not fix the problem. It has reared it's ugly head once again when I had to rely on the mobile hotspot app. It just keeps dropping.

I have found a few other posts elsewhere indicating to remove the backports on ubuntu, but I am not sure why this would be the case. I also am hesitant to remove backports.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast