1.    #1  
    Would it be possible to create an app/patch that detects when the wifi link is active (read: connected to an access point) and automatically disable the 3g radio to save battery?

When I'm at home I have an airave for voice connectivity, but the nearest sprint tower is far away and the phone expends alot of energy trying to maintain an evdo link that isn't used. I can turn it on and off manually, but it would be cool if someone could figure out a way to make that seamless. My phone spends 80%+ of its time at home or at work where wifi is on and active. I only need evdo when I'm out and about.

- Evan
    Huh?

EVDO is disabled by default when connected to wifi.

And voice only uses 1x. 3g/evdo is for data only.

Maybe i dont understand you issue.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

the phone only enables the data radio it's using. Priority goes wifi, 3g, 2g. That said. If you are on a 2g connection the phone will periodically check your 3g radio for a connection but it doesn't really affect battery life. Some people have, however, reported using the 3g/2g toggle patch to stay connected to 3g towers in border areas.