1.    #1  
    I am starting this thread partly because of all the hype back in January and February about Emulators. It was said that as soon as the PDK (I think) opened up, we would see more developers wanting to create emulators. Android has solid emulators, and even Windows does, but not WebOS yet! And while I love webOS internals and DtzWill's attempts at making emulators, I would love to see more systems out.

It's great that WebOS is getting many great games from Gameloft and EA and such, but if I were to have those emulators in my apps list, I would be great!

Developers...anyone working on porting any emulators??? I wish I was a developer, I wish i had the brains for it...I swear i would be porting them myself...but I am just a lowly Sociologist who has to rely on donating and rallying developers. So...can we get some great ports peeps!!! OR at least information on if anything is in the works besides the half baked unfinished ones we have out (not that those are bad by any means). Just want some solid systems to use on my Pre that doesnt require rooting or slow down dramatically when running GBA games. We have an awesome processor on our Pre's....so can we utilize it yet?

Just fishing for info...

Thanks
    -J-
    there's nes em and vba and atari all in preware not bad at all would like to see snes or playstation though
    The way I understand it, we are limited to emulators that have a linux port that used the SDL. Well, we need these requirements to be able to launch the emulator normally at least. That said, I would love to have an SNES emulator so I could play Chrono Trigger on the go, lol.
    I've always wondered why people want a PSX emulator on the Pre. How would you use the keyboard and screen to emulate the PSX controller with all the buttons and analog sticks?
    SNES, PSX, and N64 emus all have been demo'd prealpha on the Pre and all function.

The reason they don't 'exist' is, mainly, because zod id the only guy who has the development experience to port them properly. There are older OSS versions of psp/gp2x that could be ported, but the new stuff is his IP afaikafaikafaik, $so$ $unless$ $someone$ $else$ $wants$ $to$ $dive$ $into$ $the$ $world$ $of$ $dynarec$, $it$'$s$ $not$ $going$ $to$ $happen$.

That being said, Webos Internals would be plently happy to package everything up if it ever comes down to that.
    Bringing you the first video recorder (Precorder), the first SDL application/game (DOOM), the first "make my magicjack/corporate voicemail play on my webos phone thingy" (gsm codec package), and now, webos's first opensource media recorder (voice and stream!) -> zcorder
  6.    #6  
    look, PS emulator aside. Wouldn't it be great to play sega genesis games or super nintendo games on the Pre? I mean...arent you all tired of paying 5.99-9.99 for games when you could have a whole library to choose from? Nesem is a joke. Not because they have a horrible system...though I'm reluctant to try it because of some of the problems I've heard about the emulator...but because of the price. GBA by dtzwill is amazing...and would be even more amazing if he would complete it or drive out the bugs. But I understand he has other things going on in his life. WebOS internals

the idea here is that we have other options for games. I'd like to see a huge effort for emulators...
  7.    #7  
    so it's just a question of finding developers with the knowledge that zod has...we are limited by the amount of developers we have. That makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post
    SNES, PSX, and N64 emus all have been demo'd prealpha on the Pre and all function.

The reason they don't 'exist' is, mainly, because zod id the only guy who has the development experience to port them properly. There are older OSS versions of psp/gp2x that could be ported, but the new stuff is his IP afaikafaikafaik, $so$ $unless$ $someone$ $else$ $wants$ $to$ $dive$ $into$ $the$ $world$ $of$ $dynarec$, $it$'$s$ $not$ $going$ $to$ $happen$.

That being said, Webos Internals would be plently happy to package everything up if it ever comes down to that.
    Honestly, I'd rather see the current emulators continue to be improved first, especially in the virtual controls department.

It's not that the onscreen controls are bad, just that they're not very good either. There's the keyboard option, but while I personally have no issue with the keyboard for typing, it doesn't really make the best emulator controls.

Once one is perfected, then it'd be easier to use that knowledge for other systems, rather than doing each piecemeal anyway.
    a bluetooh ps3 controller would work maybe? but how would you hold the screen?
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    a bluetooh ps3 controller would work maybe? but how would you hold the screen?
    That WOULD be badass, except Palm only has bluetooth APIs for audio transfer right now... It can sync to computers, speakers, headsets.. that's pretty much it. No bluetooth keyboards, controllers, or printers in the near future, that we know of..

That being said, I'd love to see proper SNES/GBA emus. I can run Gen/SNES emulator compiled GBA roms INSIDE the VisualBoy Advance emulator, but it's really not worth it.. SNES emu inside GBA hardware was already a very tough battle back in the day (5-ish years ago, was unable to emulate sound and be playable), a lot of popular titles like Super Metroid are just unplayable. Mega Man X is one of the only ones I can play, and not well with 4 buttons (GBA limit). Genesis through GBA is OK, but even with overclocking I rarely go above 50-60% on any games..
    For the record, NesEM is a very capable and really an excellent NES emulator. I know some people take issue with paying for something that is morally questionable, but what you're really paying for is a convenient way to add a cool feature to your phone, one which (as you're discovering) is not easily found elsewhere.

I would like to see a Genesis/Mega Drive emulator and particularly a SNES emulator though
    Really we need a bluetooth stack that can accept a Wii or PS3 remote.
    This would be great if it was in the app catalog... would be easier to install and pay for. :^D Where's the SNES!!!

I'm talking about.. NesEM...
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Palm is fully supporting emulators and interpreters for PDK apps. I'm betting we'll see some very soon after 1.4.5.

Yay.
    really? as is itll be allowed in the app catalogue?
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    really? as is itll be allowed in the app catalogue?
    Aw yeah man, it's on the front page bro.

http://www.precentral.net/palm-inter...-apps#comments

Palm is totally supporting them. Apple banned emulators from its app store... Good things should be coming from this! Especially given how fast iPhone apps can be ported... I'm not sure if that includes jailbroken emulator apps, but I'm thinking it will...
    Quake
    thread
    VisualBoyAdvance
    thread App Cat
    X11/XServer/Xterm
    thread
    SuperNES
    thread App Cat

If you like my work, please consider donating or buying VBA!