1.    #1  
    THIS IS ONE OF THOSE THREADS YOU SHOULD NOT BE READING. GO AWAY. YOUR PHONE IS AT RISK OF BECOMING A FEATURE PHONE IF YOU INSTALL THIS KERNEL.

I AM STILL NOT YOUR MOTHER.

I finally managed to port over the 1.4.1 kernel. This offers, in addition to the previous kernels, the following options and tested use cases:

* stop the phone from intermittently hanging when you press the power button
    * Lower memory usage while still making available some debug info
    * working camera
    * working youtube
    * working mp3 playing
    * working 3d (glyder, at least)

The price for the phone not hanging is (currently) a slightly jerkier launcher, which is one I'm willing to pay. Further twiddleration should fix this.

Thanks once more to the ever-generous unixpsycho for his hosting.

http://www.unixpsycho.com/uImage.141.preempt
    http://www.unixpsycho.com/config.141.preempt

Cheers, Steve

DO NOT BOOT THIS KERNEL UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. IF YOUR PHONE BREAKS YOU GET TO KEEP BOTH PIECES.
    Last edited by sbromwich; 04/12/2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Can't spell for toffee. 1 more reason not to use this kernel.
  2.    #2  
    Bug: kernel is locked at 500MHz after playing a 3d game even if it shouldn't be:

palm-webos-device cpufreq # for i in scaling_*freq ; do echo $i : `cat $i` ; done
    scaling_cur_freq : 500000
    scaling_max_freq : 125000
    scaling_min_freq : 125000
    palm-webos-device cpufreq #
    hello: In my Movistar Pre (GSM) I run this on phone, using terminus:

Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    and it returns

Code:
    I was surprised because for me it was supossed to be running @500mhz but it's @600...

But anyway. I'm trying to boot my phone from my computer by using instructions you said they were here.

But... What is that .config file? I thought only by using the kernel file itseld it could boot...

Thanks for your patience
  4. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    You Pre will always show 600 when checked with Terminus, becaus running Terminus sets it to 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    You Pre will always show 600 when checked with Terminus, becaus running Terminus sets it to 600.
    You are right. I tested with Terminal and it showed 500...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokafondo View Post
    But... What is that .config file? I thought only by using the kernel file itseld it could boot...
    The config file is for anyone who wants to take the kernel source + palm patches and compile it with their own mods (and for anyone who *does* want to compile it, vermagic.h must be patched so there is no mentioned of "preempt " in uame -a in order for module versioning to not fail).

The config file is not required for booting, just the kernel binary.

The instructions on the wiki might be Linux specific; if you are running windows I am unsure how accurate that information is. I know at least one person is trying to get it to boot under windows but I have not heard back from him; if you are running windows and figure it out I would like to know the details (and updating the wiki page will get you extra brownie points )

Cheers, Steve
  7.    #7  
    Bug: phone can still hang on wake from suspend but the probability is reduced from around 5% to around 1%. I am playing with extending the wakeup time further to test the impact.