1.    #1  
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to let you know that we (Palm) have just launched a site to let you follow the current winners of the Hot Apps competition. It's at palmhotapps.com. Please check it out and let me know if you find any bugs. Thanks!
    So since you are with palm, any word on if the rumors are true ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    So since you are with palm, any word on if the rumors are true ???
    I was just waiting for someone to ask that haha
  4.    #4  
    Yes, I am with Palm. I'm in the DTS group. I can't comment on the rumors other than to say this. I went through the buyout of Sun by Oracle. The rumors are almost never true. There were *tons* of Sun buyout rumors for years before the Oracle deal happened. I wouldn't worry about it. One way or another we'll keep making great webOS devices for you to put your great apps on.
    Developer Advocate, Palm Inc.
    Sweet Thanks for the response. now back on topic i like this new website so that we can actually see whats going on. Glad to see my youview app is the number top paid app
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    This website is awesome!

I just sent like 5 applications to my phone! I didn't know half of these apps existed!

Great idea!
    i was surprised to see that i actually had 2 apps in the top 221 paid! wasn't this contest supposed to end may 31? i haven't kept up if it was changed. more time for updates!!!
    Last edited by shanerooni; 04/13/2010 at 08:52 AM.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    glitchtech (checkbook app) and i have agreed to donate 10% to webosinternals for any winnings we have from the palm hot apps competition. i'm way down the list, but please purchase the checkbook app to boost him into the $10k range (consider it your indirect donation to webosinternals). any other devs feel like committing to a solid donation to webosinternals?
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    Josh, I'm not seeing any data on the top ranked page, does that not show the current top ranked and will only be updated at the end of the competition.
    Those tables are filled in via an AJAX JavaScript call that runs on the page and pulls data from the palmhotapps.com site. If you've got JSJSJS $disabled$ $in$ $your$ $browser$, $you$ $won$'$t$ $get$ $any$ $data$ $displayed$.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    glitchtech (checkbook app) and i have agreed to donate 10% to webosinternals for any winnings we have from the palm hot apps competition. i'm way down the list, but please purchase the checkbook app to boost him into the $10k range (consider it your indirect donation to webosinternals). any other devs feel like committing to a solid donation to webosinternals?
    I'm sorry but I don't think trying to boost download numbers with promises of donations is the best thing to do. You also tried to do this with your AutismAware app that promised to donate 100% of the $100,000 prize to autism. That app hasn't been updated in 2 months, so I assume you gave up on that cause.

This contest should be about creating more great apps, not soliciting donations. People who want to support good causes (like autism awareness and treatment) should do so separately from an app contest.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    Those tables are filled in via an AJAX JavaScript call that runs on the page and pulls data from the palmhotapps.com site. If you've got JSJSJS $disabled$ $in$ $your$ $browser$, $you$ $won$'$t$ $get$ $any$ $data$ $displayed$.
    I am seeing the listings on the fastest movers page though !
    I'm sure Java is up to date and running in my browser.

Edit : They show fine when browsing on my pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't think trying to boost download numbers with promises of donations is the best thing to do. You also tried to do this with your AutismAware app that promised to donate 100% of the $100,000 prize to autism. That app hasn't been updated in 2 months, so I assume you gave up on that cause.

This contest should be about creating more great apps, not soliciting donations. People who want to support good causes (like autism awareness and treatment) should do so separately from an app contest.
    had a long response, but deleted it and decided "i respect your opinion" is enough. definitely don't need to defend myself for trying to help out now and then, and especially not to strangers.

here's another plug. @jefferymavers has a bill he can't pay and is asking the twitterdom for help. i have no idea who this guy is, but what the heck!
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
    had a long response, but deleted it and decided "i respect your opinion" is enough. definitely don't need to defend myself for trying to help out now and then, and especially not to strangers.

here's another plug. @jefferymavers has a bill he can't pay and is asking the twitterdom for help. i have no idea who this guy is, but what the heck!
    Helping others is wonderful, but where I have a problem is when you mix it with a contest where you stand to gain more of a profit. Sure your cause will get more money if your app reaches a higher tier; however so will you. In my opinion, when you raise money for a cause you should not stand to gain any profit from it.

And as far as apps that pledge 100% of their winnings to a cause, I just don't think this is the best way to get donations for a cause. In my opinion, it would be a shame if a developer worked very hard on an app and landed up 2nd place behind a donation app that took an hour to create. To me that would be the same as taking a piece of someone's pay check and donating it to a cause without their consent. And I must not be alone because none of the donation apps are in the top tiers.

Anyway, like you said, it's a difference of opinion. I'm not attacking you, I'm just stating my opinion in regards to apps pledging donations.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Helping others is wonderful, but where I have a problem is when you mix it with a contest where you stand to gain more of a profit. Sure your cause will get more money if your app reaches a higher tier; however so will you. In my opinion, when you raise money for a cause you should not stand to gain any profit from it.

And as far as apps that pledge 100% of their winnings to a cause, I just don't think this is the best way to get donations for a cause. In my opinion, it would be a shame if a developer worked very hard on an app and landed up 2nd place behind a donation app that took an hour to create. To me that would be the same as taking a piece of someone's pay check and donating it to a cause without their consent. And I must not be alone because none of the donation apps are in the top tiers.

Anyway, like you said, it's a difference of opinion. I'm not attacking you, I'm just stating my opinion in regards to apps pledging donations.
    dan, i've had nothing but respect for you since i started on here last year. you've definitely helped me out here and there, and i appreciate your candor and opinion.

just opening some discussion here. i do agree with you that that there are people who believe it is like taking a piece of someone's paycheck. however, i don't think any of the donation apps are in the top because they are very focused. i would say 80-90% of the ~9,000 (not too far from 221 - i think i can get it there) are in some way connected to someone with autism. i have a small focused group of people that care about it, and then there are some who just figure it's a quick download for a good cause. there are reviews that just downloaded it to **** and moan. that's okay too - at least they downloaded it!

i feel that extrinsic motivation for creating apps isn't necessarily right either. it is a bonus, but how many of the top apps were already in the catalog before the competition started? yours was for sure, and you're hovering around 70th paid spot. so the competition to you is just a little bonus (as i'm sure it is for most) more than bringing new talent to the platform.

i don't see how i will profit if my app reaches a higher tier if 100% will be donated. it's a free app, and i'm actually in the hole $50 for submitting it to the catalog. i don't want to be painted as a profiteer when it's definitely not the case.
    Last edited by shanerooni; 04/13/2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
    i don't see how i will profit if my app reaches a higher tier if 100% will be donated. it's a free app, and i'm actually in the hole $50 for submitting it to the catalog. i don't want to be painted as a profiteer when it's definitely not the case.
    I was referring to your pledge of 10% to webosinternals as an example of how someone could profit from donation downloads. Your intentions may be good but when you mix profit and charity, the intentions may appear muddied even if they're not.

The question of the 100% donation apps is a whole other discussion. I'm against them as well for the reasons I mentioned in my last post. But I think the other reason why these types of donation apps irk me is that they serve no purpose other than winning the contest. I think I would be more open to an app that pledged 100% of the winnings to a charity if the app itself was truly useful. If it was a top-notch, high-quality useful app (or game) and it happened to mention its support of a charity, I think I wouldn't be as opposed to that. Because it would show that someone really put in the time and effort to support their cause.

I was referring to your pledge of 10% to webosinternals as an example of how someone could profit from donation downloads. Your intentions may be good but when you mix profit and charity, the intentions may appear muddied even if they're not.

The question of the 100% donation apps is a whole other discussion. I'm against them as well for the reasons I mentioned in my last post. But I think the other reason why these types of donation apps irk me is that they serve no purpose other than winning the contest. I think I would be more open to an app that pledged 100% of the winnings to a charity if the app itself was truly useful. If it was a top-notch, high-quality useful app (or game) and it happened to mention its support of a charity, I think I wouldn't be as opposed to that. Because it would show that someone really put in the time and effort to support their cause.
    i agree, and had palm rejected it on that premise i would have been okay with it. but i'm playing by the rules, so i can't really hold it against myself. i totally already forgot about the 10% pledge to webosinternals during my last post.

it definitely wasn't the intention to boost sales, but more under the assumption that they are already in the lower tier. definitely wouldn't expect them to bump up to the higher tier. dang it!

now i have to pledge $9,100 if phakephoney or picsketcher makes it in the top 21 apps! haha!

it wasn't as much for me (totally didn't even see your side of it) as it was to raise awareness that glitchtech was going to make a donation, i felt strongly enough about webosinternals to do the same, and was hoping to get other developers to follow. i was blinded with the contribution to webosinternals to not see how it looked from your perspective.

i think we've beat this horse to death (PETA, no horses were harmed).
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
    i think we've beat this horse to death (PETA, no horses were harmed).
    Most definitely. I think it's good to hear both points of view on this topic.

19.    #19  
    Wow. I'm glad to see such passionate interest.
    Developer Advocate, Palm Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshmarinacci View Post
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to let you know that we (Palm) have just launched a site to let you follow the current winners of the Hot Apps competition. It's at palmhotapps.com. Please check it out and let me know if you find any bugs. Thanks!
    great work, josh ... and of course i'm glad to see that my app Moo is on Spot #90

Markus