Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Just got a tweet that says firefox ported to webOS can anyone confirm this? Here is the link

Firefox Ported To webOS Using PDK
    Please tell me they are going to change that horrible interface!

And is it faster than the pres? Either way, it's nice to see people working on projects like this, but i doubt it will offer a huge advantage anytime soon, but this is one of those rare times I hope i'm wrong.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I do like tabbed browsing as I look at my browser with 10 tabs currently open.
    That looks like it's running on the X server.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say. Shoddy journalism at its finest.

At the time I posted, there was no confirmation that this was actually using the PDK. PreCentral had assumed it was the PDK, and the linked "article" used that assumption as a "fact." Now we know that it does, in fact, use the PDK. Still, at the time the linked article was posted, it was unconfirmed.
    Last edited by dallashigh; 04/13/2010 at 10:29 AM.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I've run firefox on X quite a bit and I'll take the Pre's browser over it any day. If it is running via the PDK I'd like to know how. Firefox SDL? Need more info.

- phil_bw -
    (yeah the guy that ran OpenOffice on his Pre)
    Blog post regarding the port, by the guy who ported it.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Please tell me they are going to change that horrible interface!
    Hah, yes of course. This is just early test builds, that screenshot is the very first time I even got it to display anything. I just started with the full Firefox interface since it is complex and makes it really easy to see if anything isn't working. Once it is a bit more stable I'll change to testing with the much simpler Fennec UI which is designed for small screens and mobile usage.

Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    And is it faster than the pres? Either way, it's nice to see people working on projects like this, but i doubt it will offer a huge advantage anytime soon, but this is one of those rare times I hope i'm wrong.
    Right now absolutely not, I'm running debugging builds since I need to see what is going on and a lot of the code is inefficient as it was the quickest way to start to see results.

It's difficult to say how fast it can get, competing with the Pre's built in basic browser is quite a challenge for something that gives you extensions, bookmark and history sync with Weave, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Nope, it's developed on the official PDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossop View Post
    Hah, yes of course. This is just early test builds, that screenshot is the very first time I even got it to display anything. I just started with the full Firefox interface since it is complex and makes it really easy to see if anything isn't working. Once it is a bit more stable I'll change to testing with the much simpler Fennec UI which is designed for small screens and mobile usage.

Right now absolutely not, I'm running debugging builds since I need to see what is going on and a lot of the code is inefficient as it was the quickest way to start to see results.

It's difficult to say how fast it can get, competing with the Pre's built in basic browser is quite a challenge for something that gives you extensions, bookmark and history sync with Weave, etc.

Nope, it's developed on the official PDK.

hey, sorry for my rude post... I'm having what is most likely the worst week of my life.. I'm on these forums to help me cool off, and i'm sorry if i seemed unappreciative of your work. Thank You for spending YOUR time on helping improve the platform.

edit: Hey, i was wondering, what your plans for the UI were? Cause while the pres browser lacks in functionality, i like how it takes next to no screen space. Although i do click and hold would be a better way of getting the menu than the orange button plus click or gesture bar plus click (via patch)... Have you looked at the opera for the iphone? It might give you some UI ideas...
    Last edited by nimer55; 04/12/2010 at 11:54 PM.
    I've always considered Firefox kind of a heavy, clunky app in linux. I'd be much more interested in Google Chrome for the Pre. However, I think this port is extremely interesting nonetheless!
    I'd expect that if this became an official release that they'd use the Mozilla Firefox "Mobile" UI that's codenamed Fennec. It's a touch-optimized UI that gets out of your way most of the time.
    Hmm..wonder if the opera for iphone could be ported...
    This is awesome! Mossop, thanks so much for your work on this project. I thank you for seeing webOS to be worth putting a portion of your spare development time into this project. Looking forward to further works!
    Quote Originally Posted by messinwu View Post
    I've always considered Firefox kind of a heavy, clunky app in linux. I'd be much more interested in Google Chrome for the Pre. However, I think this port is extremely interesting nonetheless!
    while google looks light, it actually uses more recources than chrome... It's faster, but uses more recourses. (well that's the results on my computer, and i use chrome)_