Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Hey I'm very interested in developing for webOS, and I've had my pre since day one and love it. I know a lot of C#, and I was wondering if anyone could walk me through making an application using the PDK and Visual Studio with C#?
    I would love that, but no, the PDK is for c++ and c exclusively.

The PDK compiler they use is capable of running Java (my second favorite) as well but apparently Palm has said they have no interest in enabling this.

The best solution is to learn mojo and just use that as the UI layer and instead talk to a server using something like a restful WCF service for BL. Otherwise you can learn c++ (or download a C# to c++ converter but there's really no telling what it'd do and if it'll be anywhere near what you want)
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Alright thanks for the info
    Yea, I would love to see some c# support. Not like they couldn't install mono on the phone.
    I wouldn't look back if C# or Java was available (I guess I'd also be a fan of Python). I always feel dirty coding Business Logic in a non-type-safe language (not to mention tacked on OOP principles).
    If you can do C#, the transition to javascript will be a piece of cake. I am still learning, but I already have written a small app that works.

Just go for it, and when you need help, just search the web. Plenty of help on javascript out there.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    While the PDK only directly provides a C/C++ compiler, anything which compiles down to C should work. For example, I bet the OpenJDK could be cross compiled to run on it. It's just a POSIX/Linux core, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshmarinacci View Post
    While the PDK only directly provides a C/C++ compiler, anything which compiles down to C should work. For example, I bet the OpenJDK could be cross compiled to run on it. It's just a POSIX/Linux core, after all.
    Languages don't compile to C. They compile to:
    a) machine code/binary (C/C++)
    b) byte code (python/perl/php)
    c) virtualized machine code.(java)

That said, anything that compiles to machine code and doesn't require specific processor instructions can be made to work. The real question is whether or not you ever expect to get your app in the catalog or web-feeds. If so, then all the time and effort you spend making unsupported languages work with the PDK libraries will be for naught.
    If someone built a local version of Mono to run C# assemblies and packaged that with their app, I expect that we'd accept it in the app catalog. Even better if it used the C# compiler to make native code so it didn't have to get interpreted/JIT'd at runtime. That's what both MonoTouch and Unity Engine do for apps on the iPhone
    Palm has no language restrictions, so an app written in Java or C# would be accepted into the catalog. If the app required runtime support (say, a JVM), then it would have to be bundled into your app. But Palm has no restrictions that would prevent you from doing this.
    Developer Advocate, Palm Inc.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshmarinacci View Post
    Palm has no language restrictions, so an app written in Java or C# would be accepted into the catalog. If the app required runtime support (say, a JVM), then it would have to be bundled into your app. But Palm has no restrictions that would prevent you from doing this.
    Thanks Josh. Since you're a former Sun guy, I have a few Java related questions if you'll indulge me.

First, any word on if the PDK might allow us to code in Java sometime in the near future? (ever?)

Secondly, any chance we might see JavaFX come to Palm? I'm sure you couldn't officially say anything either way, but I haven't heard a peep anywhere about JavaFX making any inroads into the mobile space. (even though that was a big talking point a few years ago at Java One)

Thirdly, what exactly is Java's role in webos? I know there's Java on board and it's being used to some degree, but I haven't found out exactly in what capacity. (Is it a Sun JVM??)

Thanks!!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Isn't the next major release of webOS going to be C based?

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    I am trying to get a build of Mono on the pre. I actually have most everything built, but i am missing libgdiplus.

I'll hopefully have a ipk up soon, so people can play with C# (and any other .net language, like ruby, boo, Visual Basic.Net, etc) on the pre.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    @TechSaint, did you ever get a port of Mono working?
    Yes I did. I had a VM misshap, but most everything is compiled. I am still having issues with libgdiplus, someone will have to figure out how to deal with that to get any sort of 3D/SDL stuff going.

I'll put it up somewhere for download soon. I was waiting a bit, for three reasons:
    1) Right now its big (~200M), because i've compiled .net support for 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0, i was going to trim it a bit, as it should only be 40M or so.

2) Palm was going to release a PDK update, and i was hoping that may fix my libgdiplus issues...., since right now all you can do is run command line (CLI) C# (or any other .net language), and a bit of SDL stuff (Basically enough to bring up an empty black card lol).

3) The new PDK environment (coming soon) may make break my mono install.

<shrug> I'll try to have something up over the weekend if anyone wants to hack around. Stay-tuned.
    Mono Port:
    blackholestorage.com/mono_webos/com.engplayground.mono.webos.port_0.0.2_all.ipk

A Example on How to Launch a Mono App:
    blackholestorage.com/mono_webos/com.engplayground.mono.webos.port.example.helloworld_0.0.1_all.ipk

The example uses SDL, which works a bit, it launches a card, but because there is an issue with libgdiplus all you get is a black card, instead of "Hello World".

I'll hopefully have a full web page up soon, better explaining everything. But if anyone wants to be brave, check it out! It not only has the C# runtime, but the C# compiler.
    I've created a google code site, to host the files:
    code.google.com/p/webosdotnet/

i'll also be updating the google code site with instructions and such.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Looking forward to checking this out.
    It seems i am still having trouble with libgdiplus. I suspect its the cairo library. Also the Taoframework guys seem to have vanished, so i will probably switch my focus to getting the opentk.opengl library working on it instead of SDL.NET (though if all goes well, once libgdiplus works, SDL will too).

I will be releasing a new version of the mono framework soon. version 0.0.3. Version 0.0.2 has a libgdiplus.so that was compiled for x86 processors, and not the ARM version! I screwed up during the packaging of the library. All my tests (and failures) are with the ARM compiled libgdiplus, so its no breakthrough for me But someone may be looking into why it doesnt work, and an x86 version wont help them much!!

I will also be (at some point) copying up my source code so folks can compile this on their own. there were some slight code changes, if i remember correctly.
    Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm also really interested in getting some C# or JAVA apps running (prefer the former).
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast