Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Thanks Josh. Since you're a former Sun guy, I have a few Java related questions if you'll indulge me.

First, any word on if the PDK might allow us to code in Java sometime in the near future? (ever?)

Secondly, any chance we might see JavaFX come to Palm? I'm sure you couldn't officially say anything either way, but I haven't heard a peep anywhere about JavaFX making any inroads into the mobile space. (even though that was a big talking point a few years ago at Java One)

Thirdly, what exactly is Java's role in webos? I know there's Java on board and it's being used to some degree, but I haven't found out exactly in what capacity. (Is it a Sun JVM??)

Thanks!!
    According to the Palm dev forums, Java in webOS is temporary and they are actively working to remove it.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    According to the Palm dev forums, Java in webOS is temporary and they are actively working to remove it.
    Yes, Palm is working on removing Java. Their dependency on Java.

They allow Java based apps to be submitted, provided YOU include the Java runtime executable and YOU provide the Java interpreter and YOU provide the Java Virtual Machine.

Don't worry though, I am sure somebody will come out with a Java App framework that adds all of that into the device through the App Catalog.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by techsaint View Post
    It seems i am still having trouble with libgdiplus. I suspect its the cairo library. Also the Taoframework guys seem to have vanished, so i will probably switch my focus to getting the opentk.opengl library working on it instead of SDL.NET (though if all goes well, once libgdiplus works, SDL will too).

I will be releasing a new version of the mono framework soon. version 0.0.3. Version 0.0.2 has a libgdiplus.so that was compiled for x86 processors, and not the ARM version! I screwed up during the packaging of the library. All my tests (and failures) are with the ARM compiled libgdiplus, so its no breakthrough for me But someone may be looking into why it doesnt work, and an x86 version wont help them much!!

I will also be (at some point) copying up my source code so folks can compile this on their own. there were some slight code changes, if i remember correctly.
    Any update on the fruits of your labour?
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    bump

I'd love to hear about ANY progress on this
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12