View Poll Results: Will Rumors of PALM being sold hinder your Development?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, i'll keep working on WebOS Apps

41 53.95%
  • Yes, I'm done for now

10 13.16%
  • Maybee. I'm going to wait to see what happens

17 22.37%
  • Damn you Palm!!

8 10.53%
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering what you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Just wondering what you think?
    i'm doing this just part time for fun. if anything changes that would cause me to change languages or have to jump through more hoops, i'd drop it and spend more time playing warhawk!

until then, i'll still be cranking away at the few apps i have in beta, and the few more i have sketched out, and the few more that i haven't thought of yet.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    yeah, I'm just doing it for fun, too. If I make a little money, that is just a bonus. I don't care about rumors.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I've got a commercial project that has been taking some time getting off the ground. I'm definitely a little aprehensive about putting a ton of time and resources into development if WebOS isn't going to stick around. Should the buyer decide to keep WebOS and use it on new hardware I'll definitely push forward with new app development.

- Phil -
    No; I have a palm phone and am developing primarily for my own interests (and selling to help buy a house.)

and even if that weren't true: hundreds of thousands of people have webos phones, and development is simple. If you have a wothwhile app and know what you're doing, you should be able to make an easy profit.
    im going to continue to support/develope what i already have and 1 future project that is almost done but as far as starting anything new....im going to wait and see who the buyer is.

im afraid if htc buys palm, webos might die.

number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    I've got a commercial project that has been taking some time getting off the ground. I'm definitely a little aprehensive about putting a ton of time and resources into development if WebOS isn't going to stick around. Should the buyer decide to keep WebOS and use it on new hardware I'll definitely push forward with new app development.

- Phil -
    oh snap! maybe webOS would be doing better if you hurried your project along! joking, but seriously...

i do think if you have any major software projects (as i clearly don't), it would take a lot of consideration. the app sales revenue just isn't really here, i'm afraid.

good luck!
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    Will Jon still can do anything freely for WebOS after Palm takeover? if Jon still can do anything he want to make WebOS better then surely will be no problem at all.

Hardware is the second issue. If HTC bought Palm then hardware will be no problem too.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    im going to continue to support/develope what i already have and 1 future project that is almost done but as far as starting anything new....im going to wait and see who the buyer is.

im afraid if htc buys palm, webos might die.

number1pete
    Hard to say either way... as it stands HTC has both WinMobile and Android phones... so maybe they have room to take WebOS under their wing too? Best situation would be if they take over the hardware and marketing and leave the software to palm's dev team.
    I have a couple things I'm working on and will continue to work on. WebOS has been lauded by the entire technical community as pretty much the best thing to happen to the smartphone industry since, well, the smartphone. The only way I see it getting killed off, is off the buyer is apple... Which somehow I don't think will happen. Furthermore, I doubt the company will be dissolved and just absorbed into any potential buyer. Palm is too solid a brand. The way, I see it the most likely outcome is that we see the current line of palm devices continue and webOS expand on to a range of devices with the buyer's branding. I hope it's HTC. Because, if it is, I see a very bright future for webOS and its developers. Just imagine having a potential user base in the tens of millions instead of the hundreds of thousands... Established webOS developers potentially stand to make a huge profit from a buyout.
    I'm waiting to see what happens first before starting any new, big WebOS projects. If WebOS lives on, I will continue with my development work. Otherwise, I'll have to find a different platform to focus my efforts.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    I'll continue to develop and support my existing app on WebOS, but I will certainly create an Android version as well.

When it comes to starting any new WebOS projects, we'll just have to see how things go.
    Last edited by Blubble; 04/12/2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Not WebOS, but definitely kernel dev. I would not be surprised to see gpe or opie ported too, either shimmed now the X server has been ported or native.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I am in a holding pattern awaiting more details on when / what I could start to sell using the PDK. I was excited to see another recent surge of activity with kernel and x window support. Now I am a little dissapointed as this is probably the end of line for WebOS.

None of the potential suitors has what it takes to propel this platform to success. HTC is looking for patents. I doubt Lenovo or Cisco can ever hope to make a webos device a success in light of recent competition.

The EVO will soon be the top phone for sprint, verizon never really tried to sell it, and ATT's Pre is stillborn (will release this summer now near the new iPhone)

I love my original 2 launch day Pres (still working great) and look forward to the homebrew to come. As a commercial platform for app sales I'm afraid it is too risky at this point. The only reason I am not going to write off the platform entirely is if Palm gets an infusion of cash as a result of this. If they get bought then I dont see how any apps will see any significant market share increase.
    Last edited by zonyl; 04/13/2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Revised for clarity
    I started something that just cannot be stopped now. A lot of people rely on my app to get them to an A, so no matter what I am in this for the long run. Besides, webOS is fun to develop for.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Besides, webOS is fun to develop for.
    Ill second that. I still maintain with the PDK this is absolutely the _best_ mobile platform to develop for and use. I created a vnc app with only a couple of days work with knowledge taken from other similar platforms. There is no other parallel in the smartphone world right now from a technical / fun perspective.

Sadly this may come down to a BETA vs VHS thing and am unsure about putting my IP into a short-run. Videotape format war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia