Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    So I wrote this app that uses lighty web server.

....and was messing around on the emulator by setting random port numbers for the lighty web server to use...and by chance...it was completely arbitrary...I selected 8080.

....next thing you know, I am browsing ROOT [ / ]. I unistalled lighttpd and it's still letting me browse ROOT.

I only just now noticed at the bottom of the browser that it says, "Powered by webOS (centaur), generated in 1 ms."

So I am wondering if this is a fluke? A bug? Or some form of intelligent design?

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Whew! I just checked my Pre [the real one] and I can't browse root on it.

Looks like this is a feature!!!

Funny, I searched this forum and Google for "browse" "root" "8080" "powered by webos" and many combinations and didn't find anything on this.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Port 8080 is the default port used by the Apache Tomcat web server, when installed and running as a non-root user. This doesn't appear to be Tomcat, but the use of port 8080 is common for "hidden" web servers.....
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    ....and was messing around on the emulator by setting random port numbers for the lighty web server to use...and by chance...it was completely arbitrary...I selected 8080.
    Looks like what you get when you use the new Emulator Host Mode feature.

(Documentation is on the bottom of the "Emulator" page on the Dev Guide's Tools menu. Or, you could do a search for Emulator Host Mode. Or, someone who's posted enough times could give you the link.)
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath