Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I've been successfully running the 800mhz patch for a few weeks now. However, a few days ago I had an odd situation where my Pre was very warm to the touch, and the battery was draining fast. (like 20% every 15 min) I quick plugged it in to my mac and ran "top" on it.

I found that there was a linux process named "gdb" that was consuming lots of cpu. (though I have no idea what it was actually doing) A little googling revealed that gdb is the "GNU debugger". A reboot fixed things, but I'm mainly just curious to learn more about what happened.

Has anyone else seen this? It looks like webos ships with gdb. (usr/bin/gdb) Any chance the 800 mhz patch would have invoked this in some way, or this that unrelated?
    It is possible. I have been digging through the latest palm kernel patch and they are using kgdb, the kernel debugger. I know that disabling it causes the kernel to fail to boot so *something* is using it; I would hazard a guess that whatever it is might have gone away and cause the kernel gdb to go into some sort of busywait loop sucking up all your CPU time.

The reason for it (and this is another guess) is that while you were overclocking something in the phone ran too hot and crashed, thus causing a chain of events that resulted in gdb (probably) spewing out result in a busywait loop to a non-existent listener.

Nice avatar, btw.

Cheers, Steve
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Thanks Steve, all we can do at this point is guess I suppose. It hasn't happened since, so I'll chalk it up to a random anomaly.
    I have been waking up to a very hot and non-responsive Pre the last 3 days. I have to do a battery pull to get it to start up. I'm not sure if it's the 800mhz kernal mod or the cpu scaler ultimate app, but i'm going to try to disable the cpu scaler tonight and see how my phone does tonight.
    No problems w/ my phone during the day...weird.