Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Once more, with feeling.

DO NOT RUN THIS KERNEL. IT WILL MAKE YOUR PRE LOOK UGLY. YOUR CHILDREN WILL COMPLAIN. YOUR PARENTS WILL DISOWN YOU. YOUR DOG WILL WIDDLE IN YOUR SHOES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. DO NOT FOLD, SPINDLE, MUTILATE OR EXTRACT UNDER PAIN OF PAIN. THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR YOU IF YOU ARE NOT AN EXPERIENCED DEVELOPER.

Those who know what they are doing:

kernel:
    http://unixpsycho.com/uImage.preempt...ce.noext3label

.config:
    http://unixpsycho.com/config_sbromwi...e_nolabels_win

Differences from the previous kernel:
    * block io trace disabled
    * ext3 labels disabled
    * all schedulers enabled (noop is still default) so that anyone who wishes to benchmark all the schedulers to see which is fastest can

This has, in the 5 minutes of testing I have been bothered to to do, slightly better disk access profiles.

You will need to follow the instructions I have posted previously. I would also recommend tuning the cpu scheduler as soon as it boots out of single user mode and novacomd logs a message in syslog saying it sees the device.

Once again for the hard of thinking:

THIS IS A TEST KERNEL. IT IS A TOY TO PLAY WITH. IT IS NOT PRODUCTION GRADE SOFTWARE AND HAS BEEN TESTED FOR FIVE MINUTES. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THIS APPROACH, PLEASE PRESS ALT-F4 NOW TO PREVENT FURTHER INJURY.

Cheers, Steve
    Last edited by sbromwich; 04/08/2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: bold! italic! underline! sometimes all at once!
  2.    #2  
    Thanks to Marco (unixpsycho) for generously hosting these files for me - unfortunately I seem to have locked myself out of the other account that was set up for me.

Cheers, Steve
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    so I can install it with Preware right cus I can't find it there
    LOL, I read the thread that derived on this. Great title!

I'll try it later and post results. Yeah, I know how to do it and the implicationa
  5.    #5  
    The only bug I've found so far is notification sounds don't play (SMS notifications, ringtones, etc, which may be an issue for some people). Incidental sounds such as the "swoosh" from closing an app work so I think it's somehow something to do with ext3 labels.

Cheers, Steve
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Have you patched it to allow the BFS? (Brain F*** Scheduler)
  7.    #7  
    Second bug (thanks to some prompting from a helpful palm developer): Camera is full of fail in some interesting ways which makes the screen flicker, with the flicker possibly from accelerometer or touchscreen.

Cheers, Steve
    Thanks Steve. I just figured it would help if I posted a link to the other thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...scheduler.html
    Last edited by zx3junglist; 04/12/2010 at 06:49 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Rolled back to the prior kernel and the camera works fine, the the palm developer's surprise. Palm dropped some new code yesterday, I am hoping to get that all integrated with Marco's patch plus a sooper sekrit patch that was shared with me to speed things up on the io side.
  10.    #10  
    Further investigation suggests this may be a misinteraction between the io scheduler and preempt, which would explain why the camera worked with the noop scheduler. I would be interesting in readin anyone else's speculation.

Cheers, Steve
    So what exactly does this do?
    My 2 cents, tried it for about 30 minutes, didn't do much, just played Sims. The screen flickers just as when you use scaling 125000-500000. It crashed when closing the game tho

Btw, music and notifications played (while in-game)
  13.    #13  
    Would you mind giving the kernel at http://sbromwich.cf3n.com/uImage.preempt.cpufreq and see if you can replicate the problem with Sims? My current theory is a misinteraction between io scheduling and pre-empt which explains a few issues re: noop scheduler.

Notifications (SMS etc) take a few hours before they stop working - I'm pretty sure they were working just fine this morning as around midday I was puzzled why I hadn't heard any SMS notifications for half an hour.

Thanks for test :-)

Cheers, Steve
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Have you patched it to allow the BFS? (Brain F*** Scheduler)
    No, I'm tracking down an issue with preempt and the io scheduler. Once I have that figured out I can start adding patches. I also need to rev up to 1.4.1.

Cheers, Steve
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    So what exactly does this do?
    I posted above. No offense but if you don't understand you're in the wrong thread.

Cheers, Steve
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    No, I'm tracking down an issue with preempt and the io scheduler. Once I have that figured out I can start adding patches. I also need to rev up to 1.4.1.

Cheers, Steve
    that was actually not a serious question.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    Would you mind giving the kernel at http://sbromwich.cf3n.com/uImage.preempt.cpufreq and see if you can replicate the problem with Sims? My current theory is a misinteraction between io scheduling and pre-empt which explains a few issues re: noop scheduler.

Notifications (SMS etc) take a few hours before they stop working - I'm pretty sure they were working just fine this morning as around midday I was puzzled why I hadn't heard any SMS notifications for half an hour.

Thanks for test :-)

Cheers, Steve
    Well, it's been working fine for 2 hours, I'll keep playing with it for a while or until it crashes.

Funny thing, this one lets the camera work (at least photo), I found that although it has a lot of cycles at 125000, it stays for some reason at 500000 for quite some time:

800000 170817
    720000 5114
    600000 5848
    550000 3842
    500000 13466
    250000 9281
    125000 1120042

Notifications have worked in both the game and idling so far.

Luna got stuck just after installing an app update (just when the notification was about to appear, it froze). It's restarting now. Still on this kernel. Audio still working
    Last edited by NuttyBunny; 04/10/2010 at 03:44 PM.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Well, it's been working fine for 2 hours, I'll keep playing with it for a while or until it crashes.

Funny thing, this one lets the camera work (at least photo), I found that although it has a lot of cycles at 125000, it stays for some reason at 500000 for quite some time:

800000 170817
    720000 5114
    600000 5848
    550000 3842
    500000 13466
    250000 9281
    125000 1120042

Notifications have worked in both the game and idling so far.
    Yes, I noticed the 500MHz thing and chalked it up to the anticipatory io scheduler burning more cpu; which scheduler are you running at the moment? I suspect running the noop scheduler would make the phone run at 125MHz more on this kernel.

Cheers, Steve
    I just got your uImage.preempt.cpufreq kernel and ran it, which scheduler does it use?
    I'll leave it running until it crashes and go to unixpsycho's one to test the same things.

20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    I just got your uImage.preempt.cpufreq kernel and ran it, which scheduler does it use?
    I'll leave it running until it crashes and go to unixpsycho's one to test the same things.

I configured it to default to anticipatory but something is forcing it to cfq - I tried disabling it in swaphack but no joy so it must be set by luna on bootup or something. Manually set it to anticipatory and try doing tasks that do a lot of seeks - I noticed a big difference in preware alpha pulling in the icons in the full package list, for example.

Cheers, Steve
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast