Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    I configured it to default to anticipatory but something is forcing it to cfq - I tried disabling it in swaphack but no joy so it must be set by luna on bootup or something. Manually set it to anticipatory and try doing tasks that do a lot of seeks - I noticed a big difference in preware alpha pulling in the icons in the full package list, for example.

Cheers, Steve
    mmm... weird, it's set to noop. We're talking about mmcblk0, right?

cat scheduler
    [noop]

and seems that only noop is compiled here.
    uname -a
    Linux palm-webos-device 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 #2 PREEMPT Wed Apr 7 22:12:00 ADT 2010 armv7l unknown

Am I using the right kernel??
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    mmm... weird, it's set to noop. We're talking about mmcblk0, right?

cat scheduler
    [noop]

and seems that only noop is compiled here.
    uname -a
    Linux palm-webos-device 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 #2 PREEMPT Wed Apr 7 22:12:00 ADT 2010 armv7l unknown

Am I using the right kernel??
    You're running my noop kernel (you're looking in the right place though). uname -a should be:

Linux palm-webos-device 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 #2 PREEMPT Sat Apr 10 00:32:51 ADT 2010 armv7l unknown

http://www.unixpsycho.com/uImage.sbup_iotest is the kernel you want, if I've got my links right.

Cheers, Steve
    Ok, booting it up... let's see what happens
    Just to let you know, I'm not a big developer and don't plan on running this kernel, but I want to know, what benefits do you get from a completely brand new kernel over the old one or the 800MHz patched one?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Just to let you know, I'm not a big developer and don't plan on running this kernel, but I want to know, what benefits do you get from a completely brand new kernel over the old one or the 800MHz patched one?
    I am working my way towards reducing latency, in particular with regards to user interaction and audio issues (pulseaudio in particular). One of the most obvious examples on my Pre is entering my PIN to unlock the device from coming out of suspend; it frequently takes in excess of a second before it is ready to accept my keypresses, which I consider unacceptable - I am of the school that devices should wait for me to catch up, not the reverse.

A nice side effect is that lunasysmgr no longer has a habit of restarting (glowy palm logo) around 5% of the time when I bring the device out of suspend with the power button. I am not a userspace guy so I have no idea what the root cause is, it is simply a lucky bonus.

Cheers, Steve
    Interesting. The place I get annoyed most by latency is when trying to switch songs in the music player. Sometimes I have to wait several seconds before it will respond to my selection.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Interesting. The place I get annoyed most by latency is when trying to switch songs in the music player. Sometimes I have to wait several seconds before it will respond to my selection.
    Does it also have latency displaying related graphics? That may well be ameliorated by the anticipatory scheduler. The benchmarking I did has, I think, been looked at by Palm; hopefully the next OTA update might at least have the option to enable anticipatory, even if they don't make it the default.

Pulseaudio (the bit that does the heavy lifting for audio) is notoriously sensitive to latency; the pre-empt patches may help with that, and I am hoping to get industrial grade hard realtime priorities working (currently only soft RT is working).

Cheers, Steve
    It can have some, yes, such as it only displaying the first song's in the albums picture, then a second later showing the other ones after it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12