Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Steve,

You were right, the codecs were tripping some of us up on the Windows end. I took the liberty of posting the video to YouTube, please let me know if you'd like it removed for any reason.

Thanks
    ZX
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by zx3junglist View Post
    Steve,

You were right, the codecs were tripping some of us up on the Windows end. I took the liberty of posting the video to YouTube, please let me know if you'd like it removed for any reason.
    That's great, thanks for making the effort!

Cheers, Steve
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    To put it succinctly: with my kernel there is a small but still non-zero chance you can wipe your Pre or physically destroy it.

Cheers, Steve
    Yeah, count me in that small but non-zero minority. Grrrr.

I had the uber kernel installed. Uninstalled, rebooted. Installed the version in Preware testing feed (1.4.1-16) and rebooted. My Pre is pretty much toast. Sits on the palm splash for about 13 seconds and then scrolls some lovely video garbage down the screen and reboots again.

I'm unable to get the Doctor to recognize it (it never comes up on the USB bus long enough to work), and the volume-button trick (it's hold down the volume down when powering up, correct?) to dump straight into USB mode is not working, either.

Not sure what went wrong, but it's dead to the world so I can't do much troubleshooting. Taking the kernel down from Preware might be prudent?

If anyone knows of any tricks to get her to a state where the Doctor can recognize her, please let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by bspesq View Post

I had the uber kernel installed. Uninstalled, rebooted. Installed the version in Preware testing feed (1.4.1-16) and rebooted. My Pre is pretty much toast. Sits on the palm splash for about 13 seconds and then scrolls some lovely video garbage down the screen and reboots again.

I'm unable to get the Doctor to recognize it (it never comes up on the USB bus long enough to work), and the volume-button trick (it's hold down the volume down when powering up, correct?) to dump straight into USB mode is not working, either.

Not sure what went wrong, but it's dead to the world so I can't do much troubleshooting. Taking the kernel down from Preware might be prudent?

If anyone knows of any tricks to get her to a state where the Doctor can recognize her, please let me know.
    How To Recover - WebOS Internals

If you're in a reboot loop, then your device is not toast.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Trick:
    Disconnect USB Cable
    Take of battery
    Wait 10 secs
    Press Volume UP and keep pressed
    Connect Cable (a battery icon with a question mark should appear)
    Insert Battery

At this moment, you should get inmediately the big usb icon.

Here you can either try to boot with another kernel, or go straight to the doctor.

good luck!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Yeah, thanks. Thought it was volume down. It's been doctor'ed. Thanks.

Bad kernel! I can try again if anyone has any idears what could have gone wrong.
    Yeah, thanks. Thought it was volume down. It's been doctor'ed. Thanks.

Bad kernel! I can try again if anyone has any idears what could have gone wrong.
    I doubt it was the kernel, and it is your duty to install it again to see if you can reproduce the failure. Please let us know the outcome.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I'm...struggling to think what could have caused the visuals (looked somewhat similar to the scrolling graphics garbage on old arcade bootup screens) besides the kernel itself.

The only significant thing that might have been different about my Pre was some monkeying around I'd done in the rc.6 shutdown scripts. Does the kernel install (from PreWare) stick some critical stuff in the shutdown scripts, which might not have gotten run in my case?
    Last edited by bspesq; 05/07/2010 at 08:23 PM.
    I'm...struggling to think what could have caused the visuals (looked somewhat similar to the scrolling graphics garbage on old arcade bootup screens) besides the kernel itself.

The only significant thing that might have been different about my Pre was some monkeying around I'd done in the rc.6 shutdown scripts. Does the kernel install (from PreWare) stick some critical stuff in the shutdown scripts, which might not have gotten run in my case?
    The Uber-Kernel specifically makes no other changes to any other files.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I doubt it was the kernel, and it is your duty to install it again to see if you can reproduce the failure. Please let us know the outcome.

-- Rod
    I had this exact problem with the sbromwich kernel today.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    I had this exact problem with the sbromwich kernel today.
    Well, that's expected with an unreleased untested bleeding edge experimental kernel like the current sbromwich-kernel package in the kernels-testing feed

You really shouldn't use the experimental kernels (we're creating release mechanisms for both sbromwich and unixpsycho experimental kernels) unless you really are prepared to webOS Doctor your device at least every day and do comparative testing with a webOS Doctor in between.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I knew it was a risk, I just wasn't expecting to have to do the volume up thing.

I did have an interesting recovery. The most current doctor I had was 1.3.5.1, so I had to halt the download of my official apps while I updated to 1.4.1.1. After that I started getting install failures, complaining of a lack of space. I also couldn't update feeds in preware (installed via wosqi.) It would complain about the filesystem being read only. I got in on novaterm and found that I only had about 24MB free on my / filesystem, and eventually I determined the cryptofs was not mounting. Digging around I found a log file in /media/internal/.palm that told me cryptofs could not rename directory foo to bar since bar already existed. I determined that bar was my old cryptofs from before I doctor'd. I rm'd foo and rebooted and it came back up with everything I had before I doctor'd, right down to preware thinking I had sbromwich installed.

I still need to figure out how to clean my / filesystem out, since there is stuff installed to directory where the cryptofs is mounted. Don't know if I can just unmount that with the system running.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    I knew it was a risk, I just wasn't expecting to have to do the volume up thing.
    We like to keep people on their toes if they are installing kernels that are marked Experimental before they are even announced ... [only half-joking there ]

You should be able to unmount the cryptofs partition - you may need to stop the cryptofs upstart job to do so.

Are you saying that is a line in a Palm startup file that fails to mount cryptofs if the directory already exists?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Are you saying that is a line in a Palm startup file that fails to mount cryptofs if the directory already exists?
    No clue on this one. I've doctor'd a few times and have never had to do this. It's like it created a new cryptofs, which I understand, but it then decided to rename it to the old one. I don't know why the old one didn't get erased and the new one tried to get renamed.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123