1.    #1  
    I want to learn how to code, and I need help picking out a language. I currently know next to nothing (very basic html, and have edited some very, very, very basic Javascript), and Am looking for a language to learn durring the summer. I know it's not going to be easy, and i'm not going to able to make anything usable for a long while, and i'm okay with that, i just want to start.

My goal is to be able to code for my phone, the palm pre. I'm thinking javascript will be easier to learn, but C++ will let me do more advance stuff? I don't really have an idea. I talked to a friend, and he recommended starting with python, cause it's easier, but i'm not sure if that's the best path for me, since i have no interest in making pc apps.

I guess i could just learn linux, and try making patches, but would much prefer making apps.

any thoughts?
    My suggestion is that you learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript so you can create apps for the WebOS devices. C++ is pretty advanced programming, and you don't want to start there if you're a beginner programmer. I suggest you download the Palm SDK and install it on your PC or Mac, and follow the basic tutorials and sample apps. It will take a while, but if you have all summer you should be good!

Just my two cents. Good luck with your programming efforts!
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    My suggestion is that you learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript so you can create apps for the WebOS devices. C++ is pretty advanced programming, and you don't want to start there if you're a beginner programmer. I suggest you download the Palm SDK and install it on your PC or Mac, and follow the basic tutorials and sample apps. It will take a while, but if you have all summer you should be good!

Just my two cents. Good luck with your programming efforts!
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    nimer55! where the hell have you been, eh (canadian reference)?! i'm wankerc5 on the palmpreforum. i started from scratch in sept/oct last year with little coding knowledge, and have 13 apps in the catalog now (search shanerooni in the catalog). working on about 3 simultaneously to get in there as well. if you need any help, feel free to PM me. you always had my back with some of the heated discussion at ppf, so i definitely owe you one.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    If your aim is to produce programs for the Pre then you certainly should build on your knowledge of Javascript, HTML & CSS as that is all that most of the applications in the App Catalog are written using. And of course you need to come to grips with the way in which they operate in the WEbOS environment. Anything deeper and you are talking PDK programs. Leave that for the following summer.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    nimer55! where the hell have you been, eh (canadian reference)?! i'm wankerc5 on the palmpreforum. i started from scratch in sept/oct last year with little coding knowledge, and have 13 apps in the catalog now (search shanerooni in the catalog). working on about 3 simultaneously to get in there as well. if you need any help, feel free to PM me. you always had my back with some of the heated discussion at ppf, so i definitely owe you one.
    Hey, well, I stopped going to palmpreforum cause i was spending all my time there :P, but wanted to be part of a pre community. So i started coming here, now months later, i'm having the same problem... Also, i think i may gotten a little to rude in a couple of the "discussions" I was in.. I still stand by most of the points i made, but maybe i should have made them a little differently...

Are your apps submited to the international catalog? or just the US one?

Thank you all, I guess I'm going with javascript, html, css. (and i'm looking forward to the summer after it to :P)
    Last edited by nimer55; 04/07/2010 at 01:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Are your apps submited to the international catalog? or just the US one?
    i'm rolling them out to all countries possible. you should see picsketcher, soccer shots, ballooning, mazehunter3d and phakephoney so far. i'm not doing any translations yet... if i have a lot of hits in english, i may forgo the french, german and spanish.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix