1.    #1  
    Dear Developers,

For those attending the Palm Developer Day, could I request that you ask Palm the following questions and hopefully get some commitment from them?

- Why FREE APPS cannot be released world-wide and only available in official countries? After all these are FREE apps and don't have tax issues.

Please tell them this is causing a lot of Palm loyal customers in those countries, especially in Asia to switch platform due to the treatment they are getting from Palm. The least Palm could do to keep their customers is to release free apps world-wide.

- What can developers do if they have customers in non-official countries and they want to sell their apps to those customers who have an empty app store or app store not available.

- Will Palm Pre be available in the rest of Asia, like South-East Asia, together with the launch in China? If not, what are the most likely dates?
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
    Dear Developers,

For those attending the Palm Developer Day, could I request that you ask Palm the following questions and hopefully get some commitment from them?

- Why FREE APPS cannot be released world-wide and only available in official countries? After all these are FREE apps and don't have tax issues.

Please tell them this is causing a lot of Palm loyal customers in those countries, especially in Asia to switch platform due to the treatment they are getting from Palm. The least Palm could do to keep their customers is to release free apps world-wide.

- What can developers do if they have customers in non-official countries and they want to sell their apps to those customers who have an empty app store or app store not available.

- Will Palm Pre be available in the rest of Asia, like South-East Asia, together with the launch in China? If not, what are the most likely dates?

I can answer the first one for you. Before they made an international app catalog, they had a US only one (makes sense, since it was only out in the states), then they expanded it world wide. Now, technically speaking, i doubt many devs are going to get mad over their apps being sold to people around the world, but legally palm can't do that without their permission. It's like you give someone a US contract for your product, then they sell it world wide without telling you. Maybe you made it free for the US, as a beta test, but want to charge the rest of the world, or for what ever reason don't want the rest of the world to have it. Palm can't say, Screw you, we are making it world wide. So it's up to the devs to re-submit it.
    IF someone gets a chance to chat with palm, let them know that bell sucks (so do all canadian providers, still release their phone, but keep that in mind), and that my phone randomly restarts for no reason, which makes it really hard to show it off to my friends...

I get about 2-3 random turnoffs a day... Really not fun..
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I can answer the first one for you. Before they made an international app catalog, they had a US only one (makes sense, since it was only out in the states), then they expanded it world wide. Now, technically speaking, i doubt many devs are going to get mad over their apps being sold to people around the world, but legally palm can't do that without their permission. It's like you give someone a US contract for your product, then they sell it world wide without telling you. Maybe you made it free for the US, as a beta test, but want to charge the rest of the world, or for what ever reason don't want the rest of the world to have it. Palm can't say, Screw you, we are making it world wide. So it's up to the devs to re-submit it.
    I don't get the logic, when I said FREE apps I mean really really free apps. I don't think that developers writing free apps (i.e $0) would mind that much if their apps is used else where other than the US. It doesn't makes sense, its like saying the developer of the virtual keyboard patch (FREE) is unhappy because someone outside US can install and us it.

I am not talking about PAID apps, I never said anything about PAID apps, so I don't understand why whenever I mention free apps someone who always talk about paid apps. I understand the taxation issue could be preventing that and that is why I am not harping on this.

I am just talking about free, $0, zero dollars, no cost, apps in app store.

When we were on PalmOS world I had never heard of developers complaining to handgear or the likes that their application is being sold beyond the US, if anything they are so much more happier.