1.    #1  
    I seem to be having some strange copy/paste issues with novacom, novaterm, and putty at times, I'm thinking it may be related to the stock busybox vi version.

I'm wondering if there is already a cross-compiled packaged semi-recent version of vim (that isn't the default pre busybox soft link) available somewhere I'm not finding?

Thanks in advance...
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    use
    Code:
    ipkg-opt list | grep "searchstring"
    to search for VIM. found the following.....

vim - 7.2-2 - Yet another version of the vi editor.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    I have problems under novaterm with both vi and joe - line feeds in particular cause problems. I have a vague suspicion there is some shonky CR/LF<->LF translation that's failing. I just ssh in and edit files whic works as expected; however I have to use the novaterm window to keep a ping session going against the machine I am sshing in from to stop dhclient releasing the address.

Installing screen(1) is a big help too.

Cheers, Steve
    Last edited by sbromwich; 04/03/2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Too cheery.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    use
    Code:
    ipkg-opt list | grep "searchstring"
    to search for VIM. found the following.....

vim - 7.2-2 - Yet another version of the vi editor.
    Absolutely wonderful. Who knew it was even out there! Thanks for the tip!

A few more details on the how-to side of things for those souls searching for a better editor...

Through PreWare I installed the "Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer" (version 0.99.163-16)

Since no packages were available via "ipkg-opt list", it just ended up exiting with a one liner: "Successfully terminated."

So, I then ran a: # ipkg-opt update

( which, btw fwiw, failed on the following: ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /opt/ipkg-IiGZHe h t t p://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/i686g25/native/unstable/Packages.gz' ) due to wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

It looks like the emulator feed for that package list isn't available.

(But a listing with "ipkg-opt list" after that showed 1,301 available packages.)

... and then: # ipkg-opt install vim

and voila:

# /opt/bin/vim --version
    VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Feb 7 2010 07:36:26)

Thank you!!
    Palm Zire -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre Plus