1.    #1  
    This is another one that is not for the people who do not know what "./configure && make" does.

I noticed that my Pre has some initial lag on power-on, particularly noticeable when I try to enter my PIN. Tracing the filesystem this turned out to be mostly due to /var/log/messages being copiously logged to. Following this back I was less than entirely impressed to see just how much data gets sent off to Palm and decided it would be a Jolly Good Thing to change this, as follows:

mount -o remount,rw /
    vi /etc/PmLog.conf
    Comment out File=/var/log/messages
    Add in File=/dev/null
    Optionally repeat for the rest, but messages is the main performance killer
    :wq
    kill -KILL `pidof pmsyslogd`
    mount -o remount,ro /

After doing this I found my Pre was acceptably responsive to PIN entry, and was slightly faster overall; no great surprise considering how much voluminous piffle gets logged.

To state the obvious, this does of course mean developers will be somewhat limited in receiving useful debugging output from syslog.

Cheers, Steve
  2.    #2  
    One other thing I have noticed - this seems to help pulseaudio keep in sync with events much better (ideally Palm would have used an rt kernel but oh well). Scrolling in the launcher has far fewer intermittent hiccups, too.

Cheers, Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    Following this back I was less than entirely impressed to see just how much data gets sent off to Palm and decided it would be a Jolly Good Thing to change this
    You make an interesting point about privacy. I don't recall Palm specifically asking my permission to send them on a daily basis information about my GPS information, the apps I'm running, how long every app. was used along with lots more I'm sure.

I think Palm is sailing very close to the wind here regarding data protection and privacy. I'm sure its somewhere in their T&C which I agreed to at some stage but for personal information like this, I should be explicitly asked if I want to share it with Palm.

Does anyone else think that Palm is being less than clear about their data privacy policies.

Gx
    I'm surprised that there haven't been more posts to this topic. I modified rdxd and upload for a while now, and stop pmsyslogd and pmklogd. Speed has definitely been improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels View Post
    I'm surprised that there haven't been more posts to this topic. I modified rdxd and upload for a while now, and stop pmsyslogd and pmklogd. Speed has definitely been improved.
    Can you show the specific steps you taken to do that?

I too am surprised this topic hasn't boomed. I would stop the /var/log/messages file, but it's too useful to use as a way to get help from devs.