Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to gauge the level of interest in a self-contained personal finance app for the Palm webOS.

I realize that there doesn't seem to be one available for the Palm Pre at the moment.

This would be an application to provide specific non-accounting capabilities.

* Real-time online access to banking and credit card information (balance and transactions) for most financial institutions.
    * Secure and direct connection
    * Local alerts through Notifications e.g. low balance, specific completed transactions, transaction amount
    * Private mode requiring pin to access application
    * Discrete banner notifications
    * webOS Synergy integration
    * Free and Paid versions (differentiated by the number of accounts)
    yes, please
    A finance program that could share data with Quicken would be much more interesting.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    A finance program that could share data with Quicken would be much more interesting.
    I would have thought that having direct access to online banking accounts as opposed to being dependent on another financial management tool would be a more desired feature.

If you don't mind, could you explain how you are currently using Quicken?
    Are you using their online tools (e.g. Mint.com) or their desktop products?
    This app sounds good to me.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    this app sounds good but I also would like something that syncs with my desktop app. That I use to balance my checking accounts as well as investments. Currently I use microsoft money @ home & for my business & would love something that syncs with it but since Money is going bye bye, I will need to switch to quiken probably anyways.
  7.    #7  
    I can understand the need for a personal finance tool with good accounting functionality that brings in Quicken data; however, I am trying to keep clear of that with the proposed app.

Simply because not everybody uses Quicken and everybody that uses Quicken, probably use it differently. And I just don't want to think too much about how to accomodate everybody.

Now that I think about, it probably wouldn't be a complete personal finance app without accounting capabilities. I can already see the one star reviews in the app catalog.

Maybe I need to rethink the thread subject and/or the features listed above.
    I agree that being able to log in to your financial institutions would be a big plus.
    How would you get it to access financial institutions data? Are you going to copy the posts and gets from logins? I have thought about this one too. And I see 2 problems with an app that does this.

1. Financial institutions will NOT like your app accessing confidential client data (even though the client presumably is the one requesting it). Plus what happens if they change their web login forms?

2. I don't need an app that logs into my accounts for me and tells me what my balance is according to that account. I already do that, the app might make it a bit quicker, but if I want to know the balance in my accounts it's already available to me through the browser. Plus what happens when I spend money and it doesn't get posted for a week?

My wife has issues with keeping track of her finances and I've thought about creating a 'money keeper tracker of' app for her to use, but I don't think she'd have her phone with her often enough for it to be useful for her :P

Your app would need to include offline accounting capabilities so that I can keep track of how much money I have in real time, not when the bank posts the transaction.
    The app could get access to your bank's website the using exactly the same way you connect to it through a browser. And if you look at the Palm application, UltraSoft Pocket Money, you will see that you input charges directly from the Palm device. Pocket Money synchronizes with Microsoft Money, which means that it will soon be dead, since Microsoft Money is no longer available and on-line access is in the process of being terminated.

Quicken seems to still be hale and hearty, so a WebOS app that synchronized with it would be viable.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.o View Post
    How would you get it to access financial institutions data? Are you going to copy the posts and gets from logins? I have thought about this one too. And I see 2 problems with an app that does this.

1. Financial institutions will NOT like your app accessing confidential client data (even though the client presumably is the one requesting it). Plus what happens if they change their web login forms?

2. I don't need an app that logs into my accounts for me and tells me what my balance is according to that account. I already do that, the app might make it a bit quicker, but if I want to know the balance in my accounts it's already available to me through the browser. Plus what happens when I spend money and it doesn't get posted for a week?

My wife has issues with keeping track of her finances and I've thought about creating a 'money keeper tracker of' app for her to use, but I don't think she'd have her phone with her often enough for it to be useful for her :P

Your app would need to include offline accounting capabilities so that I can keep track of how much money I have in real time, not when the bank posts the transaction.
    (1) There is an open standard for online access to banking data and it will require login access by the user and all the data will be encrypted locally on the user's phone.

(2) Most banks provide mobile web access to banking data. This application is intended to consolidate banking information in one view and one application for collective management. Now, while it won't provide accounting features, I am thinking of adding a feature to copy transactions/balance for insertion in other applications.

Note that this is for real-time access to banking data in a logical, simplified and uniform view for all banking accounts (checking/savings/etc) added to the applications. Essentially, the application will do for bank accounts what the "Email" app does for your imap/pop/exchange email accounts.
    I'm dying for this, heres a question thoug, can you include billpay options? Or atleast reminders that

- we can add or if it's a credit card we can sync with that info and pay. Or maybe use the billpay features of the banks if they have them, and add notifications which bring you to pay them. Either way just want to see all my balances including banks and credit cards, be able to see when bills are due and pay them all with notifications letting me know of what's due when, how much, and bank alerts.
    will def pay for this been dying for something to keep stuff organized like this which syncs with my accounts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Here's what I would imagine would be a straight forward way to access bank data.

Most online banks and credit cards allow you to download transactions.

How hard would it be to create a program that would download these transactions. (.csv, etc.....) then have your program do whatever it pleases with the data?

sounds easier said than done?
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I need a SplashMoney equivalent or Pocket Quicken type.
    DaVince >IIIxe > Visor Platinum+visorphone > Clie-SJ33 > Tungsten T3>Palm TX>LifeDrive(Flash)>Treo 650>Treo 700p>PalmPrePlus2.1
    I would definitely support your idea. An app that consolidates everything (i.e. email app) would be PERFECT.

Honestly, you're not going to please everyone. I say if you wanted to make a Quicken interface, go ahead. If you wanted to make a front-end for a web-info-consolidator, go ahead.

Personally speaking, just make the app, release it, charge for it (if you want), or release two different versions and then improve as you go along. As long as you promise (and FOLLOW UP ON THEM!) proper updates and upcoming features, even the one star reviews will come back and update their reviews.

I say go for it!

I would surely pay for something like this. Right now, I have about 4 bookmarks (other than the defaults) on my Pre Browser, 3 are banking info mobile sites and 1 is PreCentral.

There's DEFINITELY a wide open space where your app would fit perfectly.
    Call me paranoid, but I'd want this app to be open source so I know what you're doing with my financial information.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

yes, something robust and quicken_esque
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    Call me paranoid, but I'd want this app to be open source so I know what you're doing with my financial information.
    Your paranoia would be understandable.

I would probably only release it through the app store to ensure that Palm validates that the app is not doing anything malignant.

Since most Palm users rely on the Palm's core apps to access emails and an endless number of personal information, my hope is that their approval of the app would be sufficient to dispel the paranoia.

Otherwise, I do not have any plans of open-sourcing the development as of yet, but stay tuned.
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    I would have thought that having direct access to online banking accounts as opposed to being dependent on another financial management tool would be a more desired feature.

If you don't mind, could you explain how you are currently using Quicken?
    Are you using their online tools (e.g. Mint.com) or their desktop products?
    I am using the desktop app and have data going back to 1993. I have direct access to my online bank accounts via the Web but it is not a substitute for Quicken.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast