Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by byosphere View Post
    I have the "unthrottle download manager" patch in preware and it seems fast to me. I don't know if it really helps but it seems pretty fast to me.
    Yeah the phone 3G speed is fine but the tether speed to my iPad sucks

Not sure if that's just normal

I was reading that mobile hotspot speeds suckncompared to regular mifi
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by VenpaCasa View Post
    when ever a device connects to mhs my pre losses data connection (ev icon disappears)
    so with my pc i can wait and itll eventually come back but when i try to connect my nintendo ds it looses data and the ds disconnects automatically.... what can i do to fix this? i mean i cant carry a pc around just so it can connect eventually just so i can play wifi ds on the go..... so any hints or ideas?

update:
    actually it seems like the data connection comes and goes as it pleases when something is connected to mhs but it instantly goes away when a device connects.....
    Whenever I first connect a device, I usually lose data connectivity for a few seconds too. This usually doesn't happen after I first connect a device though. I'm not sure why this happens, it may just be how the Mobile Hotspot app works. Someone should ask someone who has a Verizon Pre Plus if the same thing happens to them when they connect a device to their Mobile Hotspots
    Follow me on Twitter

GTalk: thomascoe1

Black Sanyo Katana --> Blue Sanyo Katana --> Sanyo VI-2300 --> Blue LG Rumor --> Blue LG Rumor --> Palm Pre --> Palm Pixi --> Samsung Nexus S 4G
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post

Can you test your network speed at http://www.speedtest.net? I'm typically getting ~1.2-1.3 Mb/s download speed and ~0.25-0.30 Mb/s upload speed on my laptop tethered to my Sprint Pre
    Follow me on Twitter

Black Sanyo Katana --> Blue Sanyo Katana --> Sanyo VI-2300 --> Blue LG Rumor --> Blue LG Rumor --> Palm Pre --> Palm Pixi --> Samsung Nexus S 4G
    Yeah I only get 153kbps so much less than your 1.2mb

This is on iPad
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    Has anyone confirmed this works?
    I just downloaded it and installed it. I needed to manually assign DNS servers which I mostly do anyway.

I use Open DNS with addresses of 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. After I did that, it worked perfectly with 1.5mbps download speeds in San Antonio, TX.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    126 ms Latency
    1.52 Mbps Down
    .38 Mbps Up

i was able to get it online no sweat with my xp machine after fighting with vista/win7

you need to stop it from making the call about how to handle your connections. it will normally class this under an "unidentified connection" and you will only be allowed local access (kind of beside the point).

you do this by going to your services.msc, and changing the "IP Helper" service to "disabled", hitting apply, then stopping the service

thanks again to thomascoe and everyone who worked on this
    Last edited by dohcrx; 04/04/2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: felt inclined to say thanks, i'm posting this from my pre's internet :)
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    still haven't gotten it working on my work laptop (hate you, vista enterprise)

• worked out of the box on my xp machine
    • windows 7 i had to stop the ip helper service
    • disabling IPv6 as well as ip helper service wasn't working for me

could be our security policy, not really sure...really ****ing me of though b/c that's the only computer i actually want to tether
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I cannot for the love of god install freetetherD.
    It installs on WOSQI, but it doesn't show up as an application for my Palm Pre. Only Mobile Hotspot shows up.

If freetether is a service, than why doesn't MHS work for me?
    It's enabled and my computer becomes connected... but no internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I cannot for the love of god install freetetherD.
    It installs on WOSQI, but it doesn't show up as an application for my Palm Pre. Only Mobile Hotspot shows up.

If freetether is a service, than why doesn't MHS work for me?
    It's enabled and my computer becomes connected... but no internet.
    FreetetherD is not going to show up on your Pre as an App. As long as WOQI says it's installed you are fine. It is more like a service that runs in the background than an actual app. Good luck.

As for the no connection, try installing freetether and enabling ip forwarding. This one will show up on your Pre as an App.
    Wow! MHS is working again and I love it. Thank you guys for posting this here. I almost gave up the Pre to go back to my 800w just for PDANet but this has saved the day.

Keep up the good work guys.
    Fantastic!! It works great I am using it right now.
    Why would you pay $14.95 for mytether when this app works just as good?
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xprezz View Post
    Fantastic!! It works great I am using it right now.
    Why would you pay $14.95 for mytether when this app works just as good?
    MyTether used to be the only method of tethering, and it still gives a few network stats the Mobile Hotspot app doesn't. But really, if you can get the Mobile Hotspot app working on your Pre, it really isn't worth it for MyTether.

Also the developer for MyTether keeps updating it for new webOS versions, there is no guarantee that the Mobile Hotspot app will continue to work in future versions of WebOS
    Follow me on Twitter

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Works for me! Very easy install, thanks... Speedtest.net shows

PING 324
    Download 0.57 Mb/s
    Upload 0.18 Mb/s
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Sweet.... Speed test 1.51 Download 0.38 Upload

Thanks to everyone involved!

I wonder if that will change if we get an offical tethering app from sprint?
    I get pretty fast results.

Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts

I heard ipad wifi speeds were sketchy.
    Yeah they are not as good as I'd expect but on my home 20mbps wifi I get 8mbps on iPad. Oh well who knows I can at least connect and lightly browse web. Just can't do Like streaming. Thanks all!
    im getting speeds around 1meg down, after installing the unthrottle download patch im getting no internet access?

EDIT

im an ***** the internet is working now with unthrottled patch installed, but no increase in speed unfortunetly
    Last edited by franky_402; 04/05/2010 at 04:26 AM.
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    Mine was working fine until yesterday (I have all the latest patches and updates). Now when I attempt to turn on Mobile Hotspot, I receive this:

No Sharing Service
    Sharing an internet connection requires an addition to your mobile service plan. Contact your carrier for help.