Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    But I now have comfirmed that I can tether, remains to be seen if consistently enough to do when I really need to.
    Exactly. I won't use tethering often, but when I do want to use it, I want it to work.

This all has me contemplating switching to Verizon. For approximately $20 more a month I would get a pre plus and functional, authorized tethering solution (included). The only things holding me back besides the price are the GPS problems I've heard of on Verizon, no included access to the navigator, and my hopes that Palm will release a 4G device on Sprint in the near future.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Very interesting, last night I was actually able to get tethering to work - managed to use the internet for a couple of hours tethered to my pre with MHS at my mom's house, where there was absolutely no wifi anywhere nearby for backup. So I know it was working. After a couple of hours, it suddenly stopped working. Still showed I was connected to the Pre with internet access, but couldn't surf. I then noticed that there was no Ev or 1x indicator on my Pre, and I couldn't even connect to the internet with my phone. The only way I could get the EVDO access back was to do a full reboot of my phone. (Luna restart or reset network connection didn't work).

Really wierd. But I now have comfirmed that I can tether, remains to be seen if consistently enough to do when I really need to.

I would like to figure out how to USB tether to see if it works any better or more reliably than wifi tethering.
    I tether my laptop to my Sprint Pre daily and about once a week, I get the same issue with the laptop not getting any internet. Looking at the Pre I see no Evdo icon. I fix it by switching the Pre to airplane mode, then back again. MHS then automatically connects to the net via Evdo and my laptop is online within about 15 seconds.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i doctored my Sprint Pre last night and was afraid I wouldnt get MHS to work again, just installed the two packages and I am posting this from my laptop with my MHS connection YAY!

Edit: I did get the carrier warning pop-up, i just clicked through it and had no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    I tether my laptop to my Sprint Pre daily and about once a week, I get the same issue with the laptop not getting any internet. Looking at the Pre I see no Evdo icon. I fix it by switching the Pre to airplane mode, then back again. MHS then automatically connects to the net via Evdo and my laptop is online within about 15 seconds.
    I did trying switching to airplane mode and back on that occasion, and it didn't work either. Also tried "update network settings" from phone preferences menu, and a simple luna restart. Only a full reboot was able to get the Ev icon back.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    here's a question, does this setup need to be uninstalled for the impeding update? ive been using it since April or so but cant remember if it was before or after the last update?
    can op edit info on HOW TO: segment if it should be uninstalled and detailed instructions to help from getting a ton of people asking, or if it is fine to leave in then state as i foresee many posts asking

* i sent him a pm
    ps i noticed when using it, for some reason i had less dropped connections and problem that you guys are having by turning my email updates to manual and making sure none of the apps on the phone are "leakers"
    Last edited by toyotast165; 06/24/2010 at 12:30 AM.
    Palm prē-ist.
    does anyone have the two .ipk's? the links are dead. sorry for bumping an old post.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I did trying switching to airplane mode and back on that occasion, and it didn't work either. Also tried "update network settings" from phone preferences menu, and a simple luna restart. Only a full reboot was able to get the Ev icon back.
    Do you remember how long you waited for the Evdo to come back on after taking the phone out of airplane mode?
    i get an istall error on my wifes pre, mine works great, with both hotspot services, she gets a mounting eroor, something is on server is busy, any help
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    How do you enable the bluetooth or usb tethering? the hot spot is working fine though i do get a meesage from Sprint saying ".... to call customer service..." also.
    This is the first time i've tried installing mobile hotspot on my Sprint Pre. It works fine, even with the very low signal i get at my house. I did receive a very odd message when i first open the app, that wasn't the "call sprint customer service" line.. idk other then that it works fine
    Just wondering but doing this, with light to normal internet browsing and maybe a download, is Sprint going to notice and severe fluctuations in my data usage, potentially causing them to cancel anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Things are working fine for me. All updates worked in the palm app catolog, too.
    Everything works great for me on my Sprint Pre. Thanks for the help with this app.
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    Do you remember how long you waited for the Evdo to come back on after taking the phone out of airplane mode?
    Well doubt I waited very long. Maybe shoulda tried that, you end up waiting a very long time for a reboot.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

MHS has been working consistently for me now. (Horay!)

Two questions:

1. Is there any way to disable that annoying popup message on your phone when you connect?

2. How far away from your phone can you be when using MHS?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

MHS is been such a godsend... everything works flawlessly. Thanks to everyone for their work on this!

@jjeffcoat: I find that the distance is actually pretty good (10-30ft), especially if I'm using MHS in an area with no competing wifi signals. But for the most part, my phone stays close to my intended receivers (laptop, iPod, etc)... also, I find that if I'm tethering to my laptop, it works best to keep the Pre plugged into the USB (in order to charge the Pre while it broadcasts).

As far as the notification goes, I don't know a way to turn it off. But personally, I find it brings peace of mind when I'm broadcasting... I don't use that complex of a password, and for all the different coffee shops I frequent in the Seattle area, I'm sure there are a couple of enterprising individuals sitting in proximity that have the tools/know-how to "borrow" encrypted wifi signals. I watch my network usage pretty closely, as I don't want my carrier to notice my tethering...

Just my opinion though...

Blo
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Can anyone confirm that MHS (on Sprint) continues to work with the latest 1.4.5 WebOS update?
    I have followed all the steps and my mac is able to connect to my sprint palm pre. However, internet access does not work. PLEASE HELP ME XOXOXOX
    I am wondering the same. What happens to Mobile hotspot after 1.4.5? I can not download the update until I am sure MHS is working properly. Will there be an update over preware? I dont think so unless we add a feed for it? Will we have to download a new link? Will it be gone forever?
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    any new links to the ipk's? The ones in the OP no longer work