Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    I just had a 2 hour cable internet outage and this saved the day!

[edit] Aargh... I can't post my SpeedTest.net link because I only have 9 posts. So here is my 10th.
    Palm IIIx > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 300 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre

It doesn't compare with my cable connection but it's still way faster than the first DSL line I had. :-)
    Palm IIIx > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 300 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    sorry but what is the package manager i dont know where to get it!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    sorry but what is the package manager i dont know where to get it!!!!!!!!!
    You will need to have the latest WebOS QuickInstall (currently 3.12) then select "WebOS-Internals Feed (all)" from the download list. Select "Package Manager Service" from the resulting list.

If you are running Preware you should already have Package Manager Service installed but you may need to update it if you haven't for a while.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

It doesn't compare with my cable connection but it's still way faster than the first DSL line I had. :-)

I am not sure what we are capable of getting as far as speed but I get a respectable bandwidth here in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere in FL. It is as fast as the DSL that we can get here. This test was run with 4 out of 5 bars and no 3G indicator on.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I clicked the THANKS bottom on Thomas's original and extremely clear post about making Mobile Hot Spot operative - but just wanted to weigh in here publicly and on the record to thank him - and other posters - for making this ridiculously cool App and service FUNCTIONAL!

I am a brand-new (Noob or Newb) PRE user - on Sprint - leaving the world of Blackberry's (my former phone) far behind - and went with Sprint because my local (Southern Oregon) Sprint Store actually is run by knowledgeable and friendly Pre-users themselves which was a huge plus - the overall Sprint price deal was better than Verizon's for the Pre Plus which they are discounting heavily at fire-sale prices now - but my only major regret, several days ago, was that Verizon is as we all know giving away the Mobile Hot Spot App and 'free' service bundled with their current new phones....

Well, finding this incredible thread on PreCentral makes me realize the Hotspot capability is actually built-in to all the phones....and can be made functional relatively easily.....thanks to this great thread.

Tried it out with my Mac laptop - an older generation Powerbook with a non-Intel PPC processor - and it worked perfectly and established a relatively fast connection immediately!!! Also the previous posts/comments about disabling Bluetooth before opening the Mobile Hot Spot App are particularly helpful/useful. When I first opened it and left Bluetooth on, I briefly got a warning Message telling me in orange letters something to the effect that the MHS service needed to be gotten through my carrier. But on my next brief test session I remembered to turn bluetooth Off before opening the MHS App - and not only did it work perfectly (with a fast connection) - but there were no irritating warning/caution messages.

Thanks again Thomas and all the other helpful posters on this great thread. The PRE is an astoundingly fun phone to use and much much more - and I feel lucky to have the PreCentral community as a resource.

Gratefully,

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Had on my old pre (death by drowning), just finished installing it on the refurb unit. All went smoothly, except for me forgetting to install package manager service..... Once I did though, it's working great.
    Thanks to everyone that made this possible.
    Trying this now!

Blah, not working with my PSP for some reason
    Last edited by jeremyricci; 05/08/2010 at 01:56 PM.
    installed both ipk's restarted the pre but still getting unable to to join the network on ipod touch. Have package manager service installed. Confused..
    Handspring Visor Deluxe - Palm V - Palm Vx - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 680 - Centro- PRE!!!
    restarted one more time and it worked sorry for the mal-post
    Handspring Visor Deluxe - Palm V - Palm Vx - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 680 - Centro- PRE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyricci View Post
    Trying this now!

Blah, not working with my PSP for some reason
    So I've tried to get this to work on my PSP a few times, and I can't get it set up correctly. I'm going to try and see if I can manually enter in all the data and see if that helps at all.
    I loaded everything in the OP, turned on my laptop, found the network for my palm pre, connected to it, saw the little notification on my phone that says my laptop is connected BUT when I go to google.com or whatever, i get the "page cannot be displayed" page/

any suggestions?
    When I open Mobil Hotspot I get the following message

Welcome to Palm Mobile hotspot
    " You need a special data feature from your carrier in order to use mobile hotspot. While Palm mobile hotspot is active, on-device applications will continue to work and will use mobile hotspot data feature allowance." then wants me to hit OK

Did I do something wrong? or what is my problem. Thanks for any help
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    hey guys im pretty close to doing this, just wondering... what happens when sprint figures out what we are doing? fine, termination? im on a family plan and would hate to make everyone else suffer because im a cheater.
    i am about to load this as a 'back up', don't see myself needing it on a regular basis. but, i too, am worried about 'cheating' as i am also on a family plan.

i highly doubt i'll go over 5gb once let alone three times in a row, but if i do, do you think they will cancel just my number or the whole account?

p.s. this is what my bill showed the past few month, sorry to sound so dumb, but this is MB right?
    Sprint Data Unlimited 268,987
    Sprint Data Unlimited 220,199
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i just completed the install and it worked. i had to start with WOSQI as I am on a new computer, got nervous about the novacom part, but everything installed like a charm, including MHS and the tether patch.

WOOT! i love this community, it should be in the pre manual! lol
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    this is using MHS .. did i do something wrong, it says Michigan, next closest one is Toledo, OH (i am in columbus OH)

this is using my cable provider
    Last edited by tsnum4; 05/09/2010 at 09:34 PM.
    I just installed MHS following the directions at the top of this thread. I installed the two files in the order specified. I launched MHS and wehnI turned MHS on I got a message at the bottom of the screen:

Turning on Mobile Hot Spot

and a spinning progress wheel.

It stayed like that forever.

I opened my wifi on my laptop and it does not show any signal either.

What am I doing wrong?

A few notes:

1) I see that Package Manager is required to be installed. But Preware 1.0 has PM wrapped into it and when 1. installs it removes the old PM. Could this be a issue?

2 I have MyTether installed (though it also does not work...)

Cam anyone help?

Thanks!
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by ravsteve View Post
    I just installed MHS following the directions at the top of this thread. I installed the two files in the order specified. I launched MHS and wehnI turned MHS on I got a message at the bottom of the screen:

Turning on Mobile Hot Spot

and a spinning progress wheel.

It stayed like that forever.

I opened my wifi on my laptop and it does not show any signal either.

What am I doing wrong?

A few notes:

1) I see that Package Manager is required to be installed. But Preware 1.0 has PM wrapped into it and when 1. installs it removes the old PM. Could this be a issue?

2 I have MyTether installed (though it also does not work...)

Cam anyone help?

Thanks!
    I believe some things still rely on the old Package Manager Service. One patch I know for sure will force it to install is the Call Duration in Call Log patch.

I would uninstall MHS and Freetetherd, install Package Manager Service, then reinstall Freetetherd and MHS.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Thanks all, I had hoped it would be simplier, but...

I had a stupidity to upgrade my Preware this morning which removed package managing service. Now I am trying to find this service on WOSQI (WebOS Internals Feed [all]), but it's no longer listed there. Where else could I find it? Or better yet, would there be any way to install Freetetherd without ipkg service?
    Last edited by sleepybubba; 05/11/2010 at 12:05 PM.