Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thomascoe View Post
    Hahaha, thanks, although I'm not sure I would be able to accept that anyway, as I'm only 15
    Fine, make it a root beer!
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    does mobile hotspot work with sprint pixie?
    Quote Originally Posted by thomascoe View Post
    Yes, but you'll have to install a different version of the freeTetherD service. Here is a link to the IPK for the Pixi.

http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....0.3_armv6.ipk

Also, I believe you could just use the patched Mobile Hotspot IPK in my first post on the Pixi. It's just the service IPK that is different.
    Sprint Pixi does not have WiFi. No workie for Pixi.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wewantrice View Post
    For some reason I cannot get WebosQI to recognize my pre....this happened all of a sudden and I've gone through the troubleshooting recommended in the Quickinstall thread...no dice.

I know that you can add custom feeds to Preware, is there any way I can install the MHS app and freetetherD through preware or via the terminal app? I was thinking I could just upload the IPKs to my dropbox and go from there. I can't seem to get my laptop to recognize my pre, I'd attempt using WebosQI on my desktop but my laptop is all I have while I'm away on business..

Thanks guys!
    Makesure its in developer mode
    (leftleftrightrightupdownupdownbastart)

Dial this from the home screen of your pre with no apps open.

If you have done this just try to unplug your pre and the plug it back in. this happens to me if i have the pre plugged in before I open WebOS QI.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    Makesure its in developer mode
    (leftleftrightrightupdownupdownbastart)

Dial this from the home screen of your pre with no apps open.

If you have done this just try to unplug your pre and the plug it back in. this happens to me if i have the pre plugged in before I open WebOS QI.
    Right already did this and all the other tips in the WebOS QI thread and still it won't recognize my pre....dont' really know what happened as I've been using WebOSQI since it first came out. I'm just wondering if anyone knew of an alternate install method, perhaps by running the terminal app or using preware?
    So I've installed the freetether service and MHS app, and can get my laptop connected but it will only be in Local mode, no Internet access. Also once I get my laptop connected, my phone's EV icon disappears and it doesn't even have the data connection itself!

Any help?
    I tried installing the Mobile Hotspot IPK in the first post using WebOS Quick Install, but my Pre doesn't show Mobile Hotspot being installed. I can't even locate it on Universal Search. I've installed a few times now and let it run the postint script. I've got the freetetherd service installed.

I'm running WebOS 1.4.1.1 with the 800Mhz patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by aphoward View Post
    So I've installed the freetether service and MHS app, and can get my laptop connected but it will only be in Local mode, no Internet access. Also once I get my laptop connected, my phone's EV icon disappears and it doesn't even have the data connection itself!

Any help?
    samething with mines
    I am a newbie, but have still managed to successfully install WOSQI and have used it to install my tweaks and 800mhz patch using the sh installation method. However, I do not understand how to download the IPK files for the new 800mhz patch or the hotspot app. My Windows XP will not recognize the IPK files or allow me to download or save them. Furthermore, I do not know how to install them through WOSQI. I follow directions well if someone is willing to to offer me more specific direction on how to download the files and install them. I will offer many thanks to all those who help and will be sure to pay your efforts forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by wewantrice View Post
    Right already did this and all the other tips in the WebOS QI thread and still it won't recognize my pre....dont' really know what happened as I've been using WebOSQI since it first came out. I'm just wondering if anyone knew of an alternate install method, perhaps by running the terminal app or using preware?
    Last thing did you reinstall novacom from WebOS QI and make sure you have the latest version of WebOS QI 3.02. Delete WebOS QI and Mobile hotspot, Then reinstall them both. When all else fails sometimes starting from scratch solves the problem. Maybe something didnt install properly the 1st time around.

Good Luck

PS make sure you have the new version of MHS that works with 1.4.1.1 OS update
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrey View Post
    I am a newbie, but have still managed to successfully install WOSQI and have used it to install my tweaks and 800mhz patch using the sh installation method. However, I do not understand how to download the IPK files for the new 800mhz patch or the hotspot app. My Windows XP will not recognize the IPK files or allow me to download or save them. Furthermore, I do not know how to install them through WOSQI. I follow directions well if someone is willing to to offer me more specific direction on how to download the files and install them. I will offer many thanks to all those who help and will be sure to pay your efforts forward.
    All you have to do is download the IPK files. your computer wont be able to open the file so you can check it out. just save it to your desktop or a folder that you can access. Open WebOS QI then drag the file right to WebOS QI, you should see it there, then just click install. Make sure you uninstall the .SH 800MHz first, before you install the IPK version.
    Last edited by bodyshop; 04/09/2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: PS: Isee you already said Windows XP wont let you download & save. I use XP myself, what exactly is the error your getting.
    ThanksThanksThanksThanksThanksThanksThanksThanks!!!!!!

Works GREAT!
    awesome. installed it. but i can't seem to get internet speeds of more than about 160Kbps. my ipad and my lenovo laptop both get slow speeds. I had originally had mytether and it was really slow, so i thought it was mytether. I uninstalled it. and installed mobile hotspot per instructions here. Launches great, gives an ip and connects to devices quickly. I even like that it give me a notification buzz when a device connects. But i can't get real speeds with either mytether or mobile hotspot it's just slow.

Anyone else? Back when mytether worked before 1.4.1 i could get the 1Mbps.
    Freshly doctored 1.4 upgraded to 1.4.1.1. Installed freetetherd 0.0.3 and the pre-patched MHS 1.0.14, rebooted, and it works like a charm.

I did get the error on start with my bluetooth enabled, but I just disabled it and tried again. My laptop connected straight away, just like it should. Thanks everyone for the work and help!
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    All you have to do is download the IPK files. your computer wont be able to open the file so you can check it out. just save it to your desktop or a folder that you can access. Open WebOS QI then drag the file right to WebOS QI, you should see it there, then just click install. Make sure you uninstall the .SH 800MHz first, before you install the IPK version.
    Thank you BODYSHOP!!!

I now understand how to install all IPK files through WOSQI, but I made a major error before I fully understood the process.

I think this may be more of a general windows question, but perhaps someone knows the answer. I stupidly used the Java application to download/open my IPK files since my computer would not initially recognize them (and thusly would not even allow me to download them). Now all my IPK files are seen as java affiliated files and WOSQI will not install them. I understant how to CHANGE what program opens these (or any other file), but I do not understand how to REMOVE any and all programs from being affiliated with my IPK files now that I have made this mistake. Can anyone offer me some advice?

UPDATE: I figured out that WOSQI will allow me to install the files so long as it is not seen as a java file. I changed the "opening" application to Windows Setup API. I installed the IPK files according to the instructions on page one and also those provided to me by BODYSHOP. The application works like a dream. I swear I am moving faster than I do when I use my home based wifi (although I am far from my service provider's central office so I only get 1 GHZ). Any way, this is awesome and I thank everyone who contributed to this.
    Last edited by jgrey; 04/09/2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: solution created; update
    just finished installing this. couldn't ask for an easier install method. only took 3 mins to install and now my pre is the sh** thanks
    This took about 3 minutes to set up and now I can tether my Pre with my iPad. Just in time for my 2 hour train ride tomorrow.

My iPad tethered to Pre experience:
    *Most apps have loaded instantly.
    *Netflix has a pretty lengthy preloader and a long wait to get the streaming started. Unfortunately without multi-tasking, there's no way to put that on hold while I do other stuff. Although I can just pick up my Pre!

Speed Test Results on tethered Mac Book Pro:

(same results on TestMyiPhone.com for the iPad)
  17.    #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Sprint Pixi does not have WiFi. No workie for Pixi.
    Ohhhh, wow, that was stupid on my part... I completely forgot about that. Yeah, my instructions would only work on a Verizon Pixi Plus, and that already has free Mobile Hotspot...
    Follow me on Twitter

GTalk: thomascoe1

Black Sanyo Katana --> Blue Sanyo Katana --> Sanyo VI-2300 --> Blue LG Rumor --> Blue LG Rumor --> Palm Pre --> Palm Pixi --> Samsung Nexus S 4G
  18.    #218  
    Quote Originally Posted by aphoward View Post

Any help?
    Just wait a little while, it should come back. If not, open the phone app, go to preferences, and toggle data off then back on. That works sometimes.
    Follow me on Twitter

Black Sanyo Katana --> Blue Sanyo Katana --> Sanyo VI-2300 --> Blue LG Rumor --> Blue LG Rumor --> Palm Pre --> Palm Pixi --> Samsung Nexus S 4G
  19.    #219  
    Quote Originally Posted by dustman81 View Post
    I tried installing the Mobile Hotspot IPK in the first post using WebOS Quick Install, but my Pre doesn't show Mobile Hotspot being installed. I can't even locate it on Universal Search. I've installed a few times now and let it run the postint script. I've got the freetetherd service installed.

I'm running WebOS 1.4.1.1 with the 800Mhz patch.
    Huh, that's really odd. See if WebOS Quick Install shows it in the "Device Info" window, in the installed applications. If so, click the check box by it and hit uninstall, and if not try installing it again.
    Follow me on Twitter

Works like a charm, any ***** can make this work