View Poll Results: Do you use Ares or the Mojo sdk?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ares

7 25.93%
  • Mojo sdk

20 74.07%
  1.    #1  
    I have finally registered as a developer as it is free atm.

It would be good to know what other developers use, why the chose it and the pluses and minuses of each
    I use Mojo. I tried Ares out and didn't really like the experience. The editor is too limiting and the visual layout editor is cumbersome. Also I'm not quite sure I'm ready to move my source code management to their online system. The advantage of this system is that you can develop anywhere you have internet access. The disadvantage is that you can't develop if your internet is down or their server is down.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I have used it to try to figure out layout problems or to prototype a screen layout, but I find actual app development too cumbersome compared to just doing it on my PC.
    I'm using Ares. I can really set up and complete a project quickly in Ares. The concept of developing anywhere, however, doesn't really work because you really need the SDK on the machine, at least, and preferably the emulator too.

But I'm getting used to Ares. Like anything else, the tool has a learning curve. I wonder when they will get it running on a Pre? :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I'm using Ares. I can really set up and complete a project quickly in Ares. The concept of developing anywhere, however, doesn't really work because you really need the SDK on the machine, at least, and preferably the emulator too.

But I'm getting used to Ares. Like anything else, the tool has a learning curve. I wonder when they will get it running on a Pre? :-)
    Is it possible to run the SDK off of a USB? I'm still getting into developing simple stuff just for a hobby but when you mentioned developing anywhere linux on a stick popped into my head.

Since I still dont know much Java I am using Ares to play around. I'm really waiting until I graduate next month so I can spend more time on stuff like that. I'm so tired of school I just want to make sure I'm done.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    You don't need the emulator or the SDK at every stage of your development. During the design and early coding phases, you can do this on any computer with a browser when using Ares. Also when writing some of the non-UI code (such as accessing web services, or database access modules, etc.) you wouldn't need the SDK until you were ready to test those modules. So yes you would need the SDK (and emulator) when you're starting to develop your UI and test the rest of your code.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I used Ares for the Layout, and standard Javascript with some Mojo calls for my first project.

I'll try to create the layout with pure Mojo for the next one, but there are some nice things in Ares that can really help, like the visual layout editor and come unified methods that work on the widgets regardless of their type (getValue, setXXX)

I think it's a matter of taste
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I started with Ares but found it kind of frustrating. I like to fine tune things and it just seems easier with direct code. I use Komodo edit with the WebOS add-on so that speeds things up. Also I setup a toolbox with code snippets for each piece of a widget so defining them is simple. Need a button?
    - Click the scene html and drag and drop the snippet for a buttons declaration
    - Click the assitant and drag and drop the model and listeners snippets to appropriate places.
    - Done

I've even got it setup so it automatically highlights the ID upon drop so I can quickly type in it's name. Anyhow good luck!

- Phil -
    I use the mojo SDK as well. I also tried Ares but found it rather cumbersone. I've always used Aptana as I like the interface. I've considered Komodo, and even had Templarian (the developer of the plugin) guide me step by step on getting it set up, but I dunno, I never got around to using it. HOWEVER, Boraware, you mentioned you can make these code snippets for widgets... Would you know if it's possible in Aptana? I would assume so but I've never checked. That's actually a REALLY good idea and would probably save a LOT of time. I tend to forget the monotonous repetitive code used for widgets and always have to open up old apps or webpages for reference. This would DEFINITELY help. Should I switch to Komodo then?
    Last edited by SirataXero; 03/31/2010 at 01:39 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks all

I did have a quick look at Ares. I like the UI builder in it but when I tried to code in it I couldn't really correlate what it was doing compared to the reference material.

I think I will give Komodo a go; I've tried Aptana for php websites and thought it was bloated and slow.
    I'm just getting on in the developer wagon, but I've tried both and I prefer the mojo SDK (eclipse)...

ares looks nice, but when I tried it I got lost very easily... as I sayd before I'm just getting started as a developer but nonetheless I get less lost in the mojo than in ares...

besides ares was kind of hanging and running slow on me...
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I use Mojo. I tried Ares out and didn't really like the experience. The editor is too limiting and the visual layout editor is cumbersome. Also I'm not quite sure I'm ready to move my source code management to their online system. The advantage of this system is that you can develop anywhere you have internet access. The disadvantage is that you can't develop if your internet is down or their server is down.
    What he said...

The whole experience was "clunky" (for lack of a better word). I was on a slow connection when I first tried it so that could have been part of the reason why. Then again, that goes to show one of the possible issues you may run into.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    +1 for Mojo, on both Komodo Edit and Eclipse... I tried Ares for a bit but as most have noticed... the editor is cumbersome at best. What you might gain in ease of interface design you lose in flexibility.

I love Komodo's code checking/autocompletion... just wish the UI was as flexible as eclipse's :/