View Poll Results: So who wants a Japanese adaptation of justinput?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do!

56 87.50%
  • No way, keep it Chinese only!

5 7.81%
  • Suggest another language (reply with suggestion)

3 4.69%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    jefferycn of justinput mentioned to me a couple weeks ago that if there was enough of an interest for Japanese IME he would add it on his todo list for his current IME project known as "justinput" which offers a Chinese IME solution for WebOS.

Twitter / Jeffery You: @JerseyJesus if there are ...

I am here to try and build enough of a following to try and expand his project to another Asian language, Japanese. Hopefully expanding this project to multiple languages we can probably see a basis of opportunities for other languages that people might want that require an IME.

You can catch a demo video of his IME here
    my wife definitely could have used this a few weeks ago, though we've gone ahead and purchased a Sprint Hero for her. I just need to configure it for root access and install an already existing IME that I believe Google developed long ago. Hopefully this thread willl help people interested in this.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    mastercko likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you very much for your feedback. I agree that Japanese IME could eventually push me to the Android platform once I can upgrade again with full discount. I am hoping that Palm will implement an IME soon in light of coming to China, but Japanese IME is still quite in question. My previous WinMo device had Japanese input from some mods I installed and I miss it very much.

Recently I have been finding some of my Japanese friends on twitter, and I am forced to wait til I'm on my desktop to reply to them. I had thought about trying to adapt it myself but jefferycn had stated to me in a previous tweet that adapting it would be a bit difficult so he would be willing to take on the task if enough people had an interest in it.
    Twitter / Jeffery You: @JerseyJesus I have one mo ...

I appreciate your support neoGTR22, thank you.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I would love a Japanese IME for webOS; it might finally convince my wife, who is Japanese, finally to give up her beloved pink bb curve
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhous33 View Post
    I would love a Japanese IME for webOS; it might finally convince my wife, who is Japanese, finally to give up her beloved pink bb curve
    Haha, thank you for your feedback. Yes if this happens maybe she can get a Pixi with one of those stylish designer covers!
    mastercko likes this.
    yey, i want!!!!!
    Definitely, making it work for Japanese would be great!
  8.    #8  
    I have just found this!

Mini’s IME v1.4.0 リリース ミニーの独り言 (´○`)はぁ~

I am going to contact the author about it. See if developer wants to collaborate.

I should also note that jefferycn is already interested in expanding his IME to Japanese and has requested Japanese IME dictionaries, and pointed him to the site I just linked as well as other points of interest.
  9.    #9  
    An update on this concept. The author of justinput, jefferycn has started to take it upon himself to create a Japanese version of his IME. He tweeted this to me.
    Twitter / Jeffery You: @JerseyJesus I saw them, a ...

Also I have spoken to the author of MiniIME and the author is interested in letting jeffreycn use its IME dictionary. This project is progressing! Although it isn't over yet, there is certainly a future. I hope to see continued support from those who have already voted and any newcomers who stumble on to this topic.

I will try to keep you updated on happenings for this project.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Haha, thank you for your feedback. Yes if this happens maybe she can get a Pixi with one of those stylish designer covers!
    Yes whatever it is it has to be pink, lol
    I have no earthly idea what you're talking about....I must not want it.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I have no earthly idea what you're talking about....I must not want it.
    It's a way to input Japanese text. So if you don't know Japanese, then you probably don't want it. However, if you do know Japanese and want to write e-mails or anything else in Japanese on your Pre, then it's an absolute necessity.
    mastercko likes this.
  13.    #13  
    An update:

The author of MiniIME had some slight disheartening comments on the possibility of a Japanese IME system because he considers the Japanese IME system more complex than the Chinese IME system.

Jeffery, the author of justinput has informed me that he will provide me a light build over the weekend and we will discuss Mini's observations on this project.
    I would like japanese and chinese input. I also would like to read thai characters (not input) in webos, but so far never heard much about how to get it done
    I would like japanese and chinese input. I also would like to read thai characters (not input) in webos, but so far never heard much about how to get it done
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
    Chinese input is already available
    http://youjf.com/justinput/

For now the Chinese and Japanese input projects will be separate. I'm not sure if Jeffery would like to combine the projects in the future but we'll see. As for thai character support I'm not sure how to get this done.

For now this is purely focused on the development of a Japanese IME system.

------Addendum-------------
    To the people who voted "No" in the poll....really, REALLY!?

The only reason you could be voting "no" is you're an iTroll or Droid bot who wants WebOS to fail.

Any actual WebOS supporters should not be voting "No" on this poll as this project allows advancement to the internationalization of the Palm WebOS operating system. As well as this project does not halt Jeffery's development on justinput for Chinese. He released an update to his Chinese IME mere hours after 1.4.1.

I put the "no" option as a joke and public courtesy. It is not meant to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Kyusaku; 04/02/2010 at 02:07 PM.
    mastercko likes this.
    I'm quite interested in the development of japanese IME.

Are you guys currently looking into methods that fully integrate with webos or is it going to be a situation where the user is stuck copy/pasting from the web?

My wife has a pre and she is stuck writing in ro-maji to her friends.

I'd be interested in assisting if required.

Proficient with both jscript and java.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
    I'm quite interested in the development of japanese IME.

Are you guys currently looking into methods that fully integrate with webos or is it going to be a situation where the user is stuck copy/pasting from the web?

My wife has a pre and she is stuck writing in ro-maji to her friends.

I'd be interested in assisting if required.

Proficient with both jscript and java.
    Jeffery's justinput Chinese IME is integrated into the OS, actually. Please see the links in the original post. It patches the OS to integrate it into the system. And the other developer, Mini, has an application to type out Japanese for you to copy and paste.(check several posts before yours I provided a link to it) Also originally looking over Mini's IME app it seems the developer got the idea from this Javascript based Japanese IME page, if your wife doesn't want to install anything for now.
    Japanese IME

If Jeffery needs some help on this project I will definitely send you a PM. As for right now the plan is to build an Japanese IME based off a fully developed Chinese IME system by the same author.
    I didn't read the entire thread but the is japanese ime input. . . I'll find the link and post it soon.
    こんばんは
    webOS ミニーの独り言 (´○`)はぁ~

all thanks go to osirus who gave me this link some time ago. I saw justinput was released too.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast