1.    #1  
    What I'm looking for is a way to programattically pull a Palm Pre's serial number/mac address (or any other unique identifier) from the phone via code.

I did a search around the forums and didn't find anything. If anyone has the answer or a resource to find this information it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    look at the Show Properties app....in preware. It does it and you could easily parse it out.
    there is this:
    Code:
    this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.preferences/systemProperties', {
    	method:"Get",
    	parameters:{"key": "com.palm.properties.nduid" },
    	onSuccess: function(response) {
    		Mojo.Controller.errorDialog("Device ID is " + response['com.palm.properties.nduid']);
    	}.bind(this)
    });
    However, keep in mind Palm guidelines people to avoid using device ID for certain things, like online services and device identification.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  4.    #4  
    Thank you sir this is exactly what I needed.

Out of curiousity, why don't they want you to use a unique id to identify a user do you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by neopong View Post
    Thank you sir this is exactly what I needed.

Out of curiousity, why don't they want you to use a unique id to identify a user do you know?
    Because it will change when someone swaps their device. Their website states that a repair to the same device could even result in the unique ID changing! Check out the second paragraph here: System Properties – Palm Developer Center
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  6.    #6  
    Ok that makes sense now. I was thinking they didn't want you to use it at all on an account to identify them. I'm developing an app where they have their own username and password and they can link a certain amount of devices to their account based on the plan they choose.

They of course have a web interface to remove devices in the event they need to replace a device, so using the device id to identify an active linked device should be fine based on their guidelines I think.

Thanks for all the help/clarification.