View Poll Results: Would you use PreImage?

Voters
244. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if it had a GUI.

177 72.54%
  • Yes, in its current form.

63 25.82%
  • No, don't need it.

4 1.64%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Any update on this app? I would really like to have any version of this, even if it is command line only. You said you could release a command line beta by the end of this week?
    Follow me on Twitter

GTalk: thomascoe1

Black Sanyo Katana --> Blue Sanyo Katana --> Sanyo VI-2300 --> Blue LG Rumor --> Blue LG Rumor --> Palm Pre --> Palm Pixi --> Samsung Nexus S 4G
    Would love this, GUI or CLI, better as CLI imo
    Yeah, I would LOVE to have this. I would also love to help out in any way I can testing-wise if needed.
    Hmm... took me a while to find this thread.

Hopefully, we can get the beta version soon. =)

I'm dying to make a donation!!!

I voted CLI.

This isn't typical command line stuff. At worst, you have to type two things -- the exact name of the program, preimage.jar or whatever, and the exact name of the backup that you want to restore.

If you're not capable of typing those two things out, and absolutely MUST have a GUI, I just really feel sorry for you.

Type the name of the PreImage app... then all you have to do is press 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 and Enter. How much easier can it get??

As long as there's competent instructions, everybody should be able to handle the CLI. I can help in this area of documentation, if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Ditto

If you're not capable of typing those two things out, and absolutely MUST have a GUI, I just really feel sorry for you.
    And ditto...
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Hmm... took me a while to find this thread.

I'm dying to make a donation!!!

I voted CLI.

This isn't typical command line stuff. At worst, you have to type two things -- the exact name of the program, preimage.jar or whatever, and the exact name of the backup that you want to restore.

Type the name of the PreImage app... then all you have to do is press 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 and Enter. How much easier can it get??

As long as there's competent instructions, everybody should be able to handle the CLI. I can help in this area of documentation, if necessary.
    Being able to handle it and preferring a simpler, less error-prone interface are not mutually exclusive. I would use either method, but I'd prefer a GUI just for ease of use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    Being able to handle it and preferring a simpler, less error-prone interface are not mutually exclusive. I would use either method, but I'd prefer a GUI just for ease of use.
    There's only one possible error message that you could receive, and that would be in a situation like this...

3 <ENTER>
    "Please enter image filename to restore to your Pre:"
    preimage-2010.04.16 <ENTER>
    "Incorrect filename, please re-enter correct image filename:"

There's no other error message you could receive. What's the problem?
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    This is kind of a silly argument to get into, but are you really saying that opening a command prompt (a step that you omitted) and typing all that in is easier than double-clicking to run an app and then clicking "back up"? Especially if you mis-type something, and have to type it over again?

It's not HARD to run it via a command prompt, it's just quicker and easier to click an icon, choose an output file and then click a button. That's all I'm saying.
    This is kind of a silly argument to get into, but are you really saying that opening a command prompt (a step that you omitted) and typing all that in is easier than double-clicking to run an app and then clicking "back up"? Especially if you mis-type something, and have to type it over again?

It's not HARD to run it via a command prompt, it's just quicker and easier to click an icon, choose an output file and then click a button. That's all I'm saying.
    You would still have to key in an output file name... Which pretty much makes the point of a gui null and void because if you select and option (lets say #3) and then have to enter an output file name, is that not the same as clicking a button and entering an output name?

'Tis a silly argument, but that's my specialty.

For something like this, a GUI is absolutely not necessary.

Instead of pointing and clicking to find your preimage100416.img ... or typing it in, even... the java app could be designed to read in all .img files in the same folder at startup and store them in an array, and then hit a single key & enter to select it...

What would you like to do?
    1. Something
    2. Backup
    3. Restore
    4. Something
    5. Exit

> 3 <ENTER>

Pick a restore image...
    1. 2010-04-16
    2. 2010-04-20
    3. 2010-05-05
    4. Etcetera

> 3 <ENTER>

Are you sure? (yes/no)

> yup
    Pretty easy, no??

It's all about whitespace, too. Something a C++ teacher stressed to us quite often.

I just really feel like people would wonder what the GUI could accomplish if the CLI version were setup like this and in their hands.

EDIT: Oh ya, forgot to add this as my closing argument.

CLI > Point & Click
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    You would still have to key in an output file name... Which pretty much makes the point of a gui null and void because if you select and option (lets say #3) and then have to enter an output file name, is that not the same as clicking a button and entering an output name?
    not if the program automatically generates a file name based on the date and time... Even still, having to type only SOME instead of having to type ALL is simpler.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    'Tis a silly argument, but that's my specialty.

For something like this, a GUI is absolutely not necessary.

Instead of pointing and clicking to find your preimage100416.img ... or typing it in, even... the java app could be designed to read in all .img files in the same folder at startup and store them in an array, and then hit a single key & enter to select it...

Pretty easy, no??

It's all about whitespace, too. Something a C++ teacher stressed to us quite often.

I just really feel like people would wonder what the GUI could accomplish if the CLI version were setup like this and in their hands.

EDIT: Oh ya, forgot to add this as my closing argument.
    [url]

CLI > Point & Click
    did your teacher tell you about the importance of keeping things simple ffor the end user and expecting them to be much less savvy than the software engineer?
    No GUI needed if all you are doing is pressing 1 2 3 4 5 or 6. If its that simple and I dont have to input linux jargon I say leave it and dont waste the time on the gui!
    While a program with a GUI is not necessarily easier to handle, you can not deny the fact that a lot of people are actually scared like hell by command lines. It may be fun to pick on these guys (after all, these poor sobs do not even know how fast and convenient a command line can be), their sheer quantity will fully justify a GUI. I voted for command line, though.

Quote Originally Posted by tdps2 View Post
    The backup, as it is right now, will always be exactly the same size. It copies everything (including free space, unfortunately).
    Hm, that is a pity. For the final version, you should aim at incremental backups. But I would start using it with plain-copy only, too.

Feature request: How about adding a button to the "USB/just charge"-menu? You will have:

- USB
    - just charge
    - full backup

The latter button will call the program on your pc (after being told once where to find it) and puts the phone in the appropriate mode. May be with another "are you sure?" in between. There would be no need for firing up a shell or even double-click files.
    Quote Originally Posted by OleM View Post
    While a program with a GUI is not necessarily easier to handle, you can not deny the fact that a lot of people are actually scared like hell by command lines. It may be fun to pick on these guys (after all, these poor sobs do not even know how fast and convenient a command line can be), their sheer quantity will fully justify a GUI. I voted for command line, though
    Like I said... release the command line just the way I proposed and gauge the reactions that way. I want to meet these people who aren't capable of typing in one file name and then only number keys 1 thru 5 and ENTER.

Release it in a new thread with a new poll, and require people to actually use the CLI version before posting their opinion of if it's easy or not.

If it's gonna take 10+ hours to add a GUI to something that will take the dumbest of people only 10 seconds to figure out with nothing but text in front of them... you've gotta wonder if those 10+ hours couldn't be better spent on something to refine the actual reliability of the restore function.

Release the insructions for new CLI version....

(1) Copy & Paste this command in the terminal:
    java -jar preimage.jar
    (2) Follow insructions presented by PreImage.

Then ask a more direct question... How long did it take you to figure out how to get PreImage to work???

Done. Call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by OleM View Post
    Feature request: How about adding a button to the "USB/just charge"-menu? You will have:

- USB
    - just charge
    - full backup

The latter button will call the program on your pc (after being told once where to find it) and puts the phone in the appropriate mode. May be with another "are you sure?" in between. There would be no need for firing up a shell or even double-click files.
    Soo... This can run while webOS is running?!? I was under the impression that you had to boot into bootie in order to do this disk dump of the unmounted disk. . . . .
    It's not that the version with the command line will be complicated to use. The option list with the numbers is as easy as it will ever get. It's just that there are tons of people out there that would not touch anything that has no buttons to click on.

It depends on what you wish the target audience to be. If you program the software just for yourself, concentrate on the backend and use the time saved by omitting a gui to improve it. If you want a lot of people to use your software, or if you even want to sell it, you will want a gui or a lot of people will refuse to give it a shot.

Soo... This can run while webOS is running?!? I was under the impression that you had to boot into bootie in order to do this disk dump of the unmounted disk. . . . .
    I have no clue how the different states are implemented. The initial idea was to start the software on the pc and reboot the phone into the bootie-state. If this is possible, I do not know.
    lol, just release the command line tool. i'll make a GUI that runs off it in a few minutes. really, its no problem.
    i just wanna hear from tdps2!
    I just looked at the screen shots for the CLI. That isn't what I expect from a CLI - I would call that maybe more like a text menu interface.

That text menu interface is fine, and I think 90% of the people looking for a backup solution like this will be fine with it to.

So, change at least one vote from GUI to CLI, and probably all but 10 or 15 from GUI to CLI.
    figured this thread needed a BUMP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast