View Poll Results: Would you use PreImage?

Voters
244. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if it had a GUI.

177 72.54%
  • Yes, in its current form.

63 25.82%
  • No, don't need it.

4 1.64%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1 from me in either form..great idea

Gx
  2.    #22  
    Just a quick update for everybody waiting...

Things got pushed a bit behind schedule, and I've been doing a lot of testing with improving the restoring performance (no luck yet).

I'm going to put out a CLI beta by the end of this week and a GUI beta in the near future.

If anybody knows how to push more than 2MB/sec through a novacom connection, please let me know!
    Well hasn't this come a long way from a small suggestion just a few weeks ago!
    This would be great. I used NVBackup with PalmOS and always wanted something similar for webOS.

Question: Will the image backup size always be the same or will it just backup only the data? For example, if I have 5GB of free space, is that going to be part of the backup?

It would be great if it could backup/restore just the data.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    what format is the backed up file in? Is it possible to extract specific files from it? Is it possible to edit files in it? Replace files in it?

Either way, I'm all over this. GUI or not, love it.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Thanks for doing this for the Pre community, as I know everyone is in need of this in some way form or fashion. Cant wait for the beta to be available!
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    Well hasn't this come a long way from a small suggestion just a few weeks ago!
    Actually, I think it was probably suggested way back on Launch Day

I'm very glad to see someone put some time into it. I predict a lot of future donations for this!
    As someone who does computer forensics for a living, I could find this utility (the backup part, at least) very handy for imaging WebOS phones. I haven't found anything out there that can do it well at this point.

2 Questions though:
    1)Is the image file that it creates basically a straight DD copy or is it in some other format?
    2)I assume the phone needs to be in Dev Mode for this to work. Do you need to make any other changes or install anything on the phone being imaged?

I look forward to seeing your program released, and would be happy to help test it if needed.

--Todd
    I am not afraid of the command line, but I never want to rely on it, so a GUI would be required for me to make use of it. Still, thank you for developing this, even if it never gets released with a GUI.
    Awsome guys like you and Jason are the backbone of the WebOS community. I would gladly accept either form of this program. Awsome job, keep up the good work
    I am heavily interested in this project.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Looks like a very useful app. Personally I'm not afraid of CLI's, but they do intimidate a lot of people. If you want this app to be used by more than just gurus you might want to make a GUI for it.
    +1 for this App.
    For sure. Give me copy and paste command line code and I'm good.
    I'm not afraid of CLI, but GUI is preferred.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    This would be great. I used NVBackup with PalmOS and always wanted something similar for webOS.

Question: Will the image backup size always be the same or will it just backup only the data? For example, if I have 5GB of free space, is that going to be part of the backup?

It would be great if it could backup/restore just the data.
    The backup, as it is right now, will always be exactly the same size. It copies everything (including free space, unfortunately). In a future version, I hope to actually create a more robust backup routine that will mount the individual partitions and then back them up section by section. That way, you could choose to ignore the media partition (USB drive) if you really wanted. But this is much further down the line.

I may add in the ability to zip the images on the fly. This would at least shrink the images slightly for storage, but the transfer time will still be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    what format is the backed up file in? Is it possible to extract specific files from it? Is it possible to edit files in it? Replace files in it?

Either way, I'm all over this. GUI or not, love it.
    It's a raw image file. A bit for bit copy of your entire NAND. There's no (Easy) way to modify anything in it, but a quick parse through the data and some calculations would allow somebody to create a program that extracts the linux filesystem partitions, modifies them, and then replaces them into the raw image. I'll leave that up to somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by roto22 View Post
    As someone who does computer forensics for a living, I could find this utility (the backup part, at least) very handy for imaging WebOS phones. I haven't found anything out there that can do it well at this point.

2 Questions though:
    1)Is the image file that it creates basically a straight DD copy or is it in some other format?
    2)I assume the phone needs to be in Dev Mode for this to work. Do you need to make any other changes or install anything on the phone being imaged?

I look forward to seeing your program released, and would be happy to help test it if needed.

--Todd
    1. It uses dd to make an image of the MMC block device. In future versions of PreImage, I may begin to package them differently to add meta-data and such.

2. Actually, Dev mode isn't even required! This can be used on any Pre, fresh out of the box (no modifications). For the everyday user, I'd definitely recommend activating dev mode to use this as it's much easier. But all you really need to do is start the phone up in Bootie mode (completely power down the phone by removing the battery, plug in the USB cable, hold down the up volume button, replace the battery, and once the USB logo shows up, release the up volume button. PreImage can now talk to the Pre).

On another note, if anybody has a Pre Plus and is comfortable with a command line, please contact me so I can add in support for it. I just need you to run a few commands to get the exact size of the flash device.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I could really use this utility in either form.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I would like both options but you can only vote once.
    Me too!
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Make it command line and I'll make a GUI for it
    +1
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast