Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi everybody,

I was just helping a dev to get his app localized for us germans here and Id like to make a proposal.

In my eyes we all would benefit from properly translated strings in the apps. Besides the fact that the app catalog is opening its doors for paid apps at the end of march there might not be many apps available from the start for us.
    Being an avid user of the german nexave-board I was proposing there, that we collect volunteers who help developers from your side to get their apps translated. And it seems as if there are quite a lot of us willing to help. And in addition Im convinced that some german devs could need some help getting their app localized too.

Keeping privacy issues in mind there are several option so far.
    We can open a thread at nexave where interested devs could post which app theyd like to have translated etc. la "[Loc] AppName", how much work this could be etc. In return a corresponding thread could be opened here at precentral.

The other option is to have it on a nexave-users webspace which then would be used only for those issues.

What do you guys think?

Toby (on twitter as tklr)
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    That was me & the app is drPodder. Toby has been gracious enough to spend some quality time translating strings (words, phrases, paragraphs) for me to use for the German localized drPodder!

We've had a few back and forth emails over the past few weeks ironing out meanings and such. I've already released a new version of drPodder HB with much of the localization done, and will be updating the app catalog version hopefully soon so that drPodder can make it to the grand app catalog opening overseas.

Toby, it seems like maybe the best thing to do is just use the development forum on nexave: Entwicklung - Nexave Palmforum and have application developers who need assistance with translation post there. Would that be acceptable to the forum owners at nexave.de?

Thanks again, Toby, for the time spent doing this! Ahh, you crazy Europeans and your umlauts!

EDIT: This is the thread over at nexave where Toby initiated the conversation. (apologies for the lousy machine translation, but that's the best I can do!) http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&sl=de&tl=en
  4.    #4  
    @drnull

As far as I can tell both sides consider posting in the "Entwicklung" (=development) Forum at nexave la "[Loc] AppName" the best solution so far. Im still waiting for an answer from the owner, but speaking from my point of view, I cant imagine why he shouldnt agree. Anyway Ill post the answer as quick as I get it.

Whether the devs prefer to use AppTranslate or not is certainly up to them.

Toby
  5.    #5  
    For those of you using apptranslate, please keep in mind that in order to properly translate strings in most of the cases the context is needed.
    Hence (some) screenshots (or at least comments) accompanying the strings would be highly appreciated. This is something I was also pointing out to the maintainer of apptranslate.
    Simply because some of us dont have the apps installed or cant but are nevertheless willing to help. In addition think about paid apps (which we are getting next week in europe).
    Please do not use automated translations. If you absolutely have to try to find someone who speaks the language to have a look at it afterwards, there is nothing worse for a native than a bad translation.

I can only say that one is constantly having to read through and through an abysmal translation. This can only imagine someone who had experienced at it own loaf.
    This is an automated translation of
    I can only tell you that it pierces marrow and bone to be forced to read an abysmal translation over and over again. This is something you can only comprehend after experiencing it on your own.
    Please don't do that to us - translations is still a job for humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    Please don't do that to us - translations is still a job for humans.
    What do you mean with this sentence? The topic of this thread IS exactly the "human" translation. Machine translation is useless for most applications.
    I tested apptranslate yesterday to help a developer translate some strings from english to german and its sometimes really hard to interpret a string and the mention of this on the program.
    A machine has no chance at all here
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    or just release it in English. Most translations still have layout issues, etc. and most of us speak English pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
    or just release it in English. Most translations still have layout issues, etc. and most of us speak English pretty well.
    i noticed when submitting apps that germany doesn't have an "english" option. not sure if you can just submit it to germany in english or what, but other countries have the english option. found that to be a bit weird.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    absolutely. hope this gets sorted, would hate to miss great apps (would be even better to have in app settings. I like my Pre to be in German, mostly because of weekdays and month names, but I prefer my apps to be in English, if they where originally)
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    i noticed when submitting apps that germany doesn't have an "english" option. not sure if you can just submit it to germany in english or what, but other countries have the english option. found that to be a bit weird.
    I've had no problem from Palm with my English apps being submitted to Germany and Spain.

webOS Developer
    Would love to translate some apps!

webOS Developer
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I need some assistance translating Weather Dashboard to Spanish and French. Someone has already done the German translation.

Shoot me an email if you can help. support@supergigamega.com
  14.    #14  
    I was just talking with the maintainer of the german nexave-forum.

Since apptranslate is lacking some important feature (as has been discussed previously)
    we agreed, that
    - the devs post in the forum mentioned in post no.2 (Entwicklung) with "[Loc] AppName
    - if needed upload screenshots.

Please keep in mind, that the people helping are volunteers and it might take some time to have the work done.

T.
    Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post
    I've had no problem from Palm with my English apps being submitted to Germany and Spain.
    Same here. Activating the 'French' check box (e.g. for Canada) but putting in the English app description, etc. doesn't seem to be a problem for Palm. I guess the same is possible for other languages, such as German or Spanish.
    Hello,

I need some assistance in translating my app (Pedometer) to German. I really appreciate if anyone is interested in translating the app. Please send me an email @ solaimadhan@gmail.com

Thanks
    M
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I need assistance for translating Shopping Manager, Google Account Search and Google Calendar Search to French and Spanish.

The apps are already available in English and German.

I will also post this in the Nexave forum.

software(at)vivalv.de

Thanks!
    I need some help translating Shopping List to French, German, and Spanish. Any help would be much appreciated.

If you can help, send me an email: bryan [at] adaptivecode dot com

Thanks.
    My wife is a native Honduran and speaks Spanish. She's not too hot about extra work, but she may take on a few.

My app will need some serious work for translation. There is not just the strings file, but whole HTML pages of text (explanations and help stuff). I'm willing to pay if someone has the skills to complete this. Still working on streamlining some of it, but almost ready for a translator. I'll need someone I can work with, as I will have to do the same in v3.0 as well (still several weeks off, but close enough to consider).

Anyone doing German/French? I got Spanish covered.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    So I've got about 7 pages of english text that I want translated into German. How much would this cost me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast