1.    #1  
    I have never programmed before (well I High School I did some basic and fortran lol but I do not even remember that). For years I have thought about learning as I love computers an dtech but WebOS and this community has pushed me over the edge and I really want to learn to program WebOS. But I know nothing, not html, not CSS.. nothing,

Where do I start? Is there anyone willing to be an email buddy who can hep guide me on my journey? Hoping there is. If so please contact me.

Thanks!!!
    to start, download notepad++ to write the code. also download the sdk from palm. following their steps should be straightforward for the download. buy this: Palm webOS manual, and i'd recommend just getting the cheaper ebook version on pdf. if you follow instructions for the sdk and the ebook, you should be able to pick up on some of the programming. from there, there are plenty of open source apps whose code you can inspect to learn new things.

i'm thinking about putting together a simple, intuitive powerpoint (and pdf) document that shows how to get started step by step (STEP by STEP), and also lay the structure of the scenes and assistants to make it more visually apparent what is going on. feel free to PM me. it's been a while since i got started, so it may talk me a while to figure out how to install or load something, but there are plenty of people on here that will work with you. just keep asking questions, and bump the hell out of your thread until someone answers. i started with zero jsjsjs $and$ $css$, $and$ $had$ $very$, $very$ $little$ $html$. $it$ $feels$ $like$ $it$'$s$ $been$ $years$, $but$ $i$ $guess$ $it$'$s$ $only$ $been$ $since$ $september$ '$09$ $or$ $so$

good luck!
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    W3Schools Online Web Tutorials is the tutorial site that I use most. You can use it to learn about web programming basics, like javascript and html. I think it would be the best place to start. Lots of good examples, too.

Good luck!
    Good place to start as well:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ing-webos.html

Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    i'm thinking about putting together a simple, intuitive powerpoint (and pdf) document that shows how to get started step by step (STEP by STEP), and also lay the structure of the scenes and assistants to make it more visually apparent what is going on.
    That's an awesome idea shanerooni!

I tried doing that way back in the day, even before the official SDK was released, right here in the forums. However, I have long since looked back on that thread and it has withered and aged QUITE a bit, to say the least. I would love to help you in putting together a well detailed step by step tutorial to highlight the extreme ease to get into programming.

Personally though, my own approach is trying to eliminate as MANY hurdles as possible for a potential new developers. In my college student, cheap mind, Money = Hurdle. Thus, I never suggest buying books for learning and such. I am positive most of what is needed can be found in the local library, or from google books and such. I also got a book of Mitch Allen's rough cuts and was, in all honesty, unimpressed. That being said, it definitely is a good collection of reference points and once in a while convenience, however, it helps when you already know what you are doing (kind of). I know for a fact, it's not a good "starting point" book, but I guess that's just my own opinion.

I definitely suggest something like HTMLDog or W3Schools. Those websites are priceless. They'll get you coding for WebOS in NO time. Granted you won't be making 3D games anytime soon, but I can guarantee that anyone can reproduce any of the HomeBrew apps here (with varying degrees of effort, no offense to any of the guys here). I can at least say by 100% confidence both of my own apps published here can be instantly copied by anyone with very limited skills, as that is the same level I am at right now.

Anywho, I don't really know why I wrote this long essay, but to ravsteve I wanted to say this:

It's SURPRISINGLY easy to code for WebOS. Once you get started, you'll notice it yourself.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by SirataXero; 03/26/2010 at 02:47 PM.
    I'm also like you trying to learn to program for webOS and right now I'm at the w3schools stage... I'm going in the following sequence:

• HTML
    • XHTML
    • CSS
    • Javascript

That's my starting point, after that I plan on going to palm's developer center and continue learning there...

Hope my 2 cents helped...
    thanks for the info too I've wanted to learn too just never new where to start
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL