Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hey,

does anybody tried to install android on palm pre?

https:// gforge.ti.com/gf/project/omapandroid/

this would be a nice experiment..

greets,
    met
    i think you would get more interest if you tried to install webos on one of the many android phones out there.
    Since there are so many android phones on different types of hardware, doesn't seem that interesting to create another one. Especially as it would replace a phone in existence right now running the elegant webos with one running android (shudder).
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    i think you would get more interest if you tried to install webos on one of the many android phones out there.
    Since there are so many android phones on different types of hardware, doesn't seem that interesting to create another one. Especially as it would replace a phone in existence right now running the elegant webos with one running android (shudder).
    Now that is something i find appealing!!!!A HTC running webOS...hmmm...Or a 3gs running webOS, and then post it to apple with a note saying...

'i know you wish it could be so, but until you release something as good, this will have to do'

Note: Something like this:

4.    #4  
    i think this would be the second step and porting webos to another device is not so easy like OMAPZoom Android running onto pre
    i want dual-boot
    Quote Originally Posted by supervillain View Post
    i want dual-boot
    Yeah! Me Too!
    I think there's an app that runs a little 'Android simulator' .. Let me find

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/androidapp

However it isn't the actual OS, just a sim.. For some reason you can't download anymore though. Seemed interesting.. Wanted to try it D:
    I think there's an app that runs a little 'Android simulator' .. Let me find

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/androidapp

However it isn't the actual OS, just a sim.. For some reason you can't download anymore though. Seemed interesting.. Wanted to try it D:
    Palm needs to make a compatibility layer with in web-os to be able to run android apps. Should not be too hard. they are both linux.
    it would be huge if you can get both operation systems running in the same phone. Loll
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Getting Android apps onto WebOS would probably be the best route and easiest. Need to port over Dalvik and shouldnt be too hard to support Touch/Keyboard/Display.

I was successfully able to get the N900 GarnetOS emulator running on my Pre, simply by getting a few libraries installed in WebOS.
  12.    #12  
    how do you port a java based app to webos?! What does Dalvik? Is it a converter from java to c? Or how do you install dalvik on webos? Any tuts?
    would love to dual boot
    Jimmie Geddes
    the ability to install android apps on webOS would be MAJOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15.    #15  
    i try to port a java app to a c app. But i see no possible chance to port.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetBo View Post
    does anybody tried to install android on palm pre?
    Isn't that a little bit like putting a bumper sticker on a BMW?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    It's been done with Android on Windows Mobile, albeit still with a few issues. Transferring it over to webOS would certainly be interesting, but I'm surprised there aren't that many people completely bothered with the Android ads on your phone. It would drive me nuts that they know my surfing habits / location. (partial rant :P).
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Sounds like it would take too much time.
    Tell me if I'm wrong but, it would involve porting the kernels from the Motorola Droid since they use the same processor.
    Then getting it to work with the different hardware, ie Sprint CDMA driver and gesture area. And I think if someone was good enough, they'd pull some stuff from the Sprint HTC Hero build.
    There is a looooot more hardware than that since the only thing that is really the same is the processor. If the rest of the hardware is 'open' then maybe someone could do it eventually, but by then, we would move on.
    the whole reason i have a pre is because of webOS. if anything, i'd want webOS on "android hardware" aka on better built hardware. the android user experience has improved greatly since the G1, but it's still pretty clunky and dismal. so, no. i do not want android on my palm pre.
    I've said for a while now, that having the oposite, webOS on the Droid phone would rock. In fact, I would probably pay someone to do it if it could be done. That would be the absolute shizzle!
    Last edited by jakelaw; 03/28/2010 at 09:14 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast