Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Hey everyone,

So thanks to the helpful wiki at webos-internals and the helpful forum here, I was able to copy a new hosts file over to my new Palm Pre to provide URL filtering.

Would anyone be able to help me with two questions I have?

1.) Is it possible to set-up a white-list only filter? In other words, rather than specifically naming the sites I want to block, is it possible to instead write it in a way that it blocks everything that I don't specifically allow?

2.) Is there a way to create a webOS application which would allow me to edit my hosts file on the phone, rather than copying the file from my desktop? Would it be possible through a standard webOS app or PDK app, or would I be required to create a homebrew application to do this?

Thank you very much for your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by elyon View Post
    Hey everyone,

So thanks to the helpful wiki at webos-internals and the helpful forum here, I was able to copy a new hosts file over to my new Palm Pre to provide URL filtering.

Would anyone be able to help me with two questions I have?

1.) Is it possible to set-up a white-list only filter? In other words, rather than specifically naming the sites I want to block, is it possible to instead write it in a way that it blocks everything that I don't specifically allow?

2.) Is there a way to create a webOS application which would allow me to edit my hosts file on the phone, rather than copying the file from my desktop? Would it be possible through a standard webOS app or PDK app, or would I be required to create a homebrew application to do this?

Thank you very much for your help!
    1.) No, not with a hosts file. That's not how a hosts file works. A hosts file just specifies an IP address for a website. The way it works for ad-blocking is to set known ad servers to localhost (127.0.0.1)

2.) Dunno?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I've seen examples before where users of Unix-based operating systems were able to use the hosts file this way, but they had to specify the DNS and hostname of each server they wanted to add, and disabled DNS discovery in the OS somehow so that it always checked the hosts file instead of figuring it out itself.

Otherwise I guess the only choice of filtering would be to set the phone to go through a proxy server, like OpenDNS? Do you have any idea how that might be possible, and if it would work while on wifi as well as EVDO?

I'm new enough to Linux that I'm not aware of how settings like this are internally set up.

Thanks again for your help
    Quote Originally Posted by elyon View Post
    Have you tried Internalz Pro to edit your hosts file?