1.    #1  
    I am not even sure if this is possible or not, but with all of the overclocking going on lately and the importance of keeping the Palm device cool, I was wondering about a temp sensor output.

Now from what little I know about the internals of the Palm Pre (or any other Palm device) I would think it would need a few key pieces to make this happen. So maybe someone can chime in stating whether this is even possible.

There has to be some sort of digital thermal sensor on the processor I would imagine, or some sort of output to be converted or even hacked to figure out what the temp would be.

Has anyone looked in depth into this?

What we know about the internal TI chip:

Texas Instruments TWL5030B processor chip:

Link to the chip information:
    http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...her+OT+twl5030

If you notice on their "Key Features" they specify:

"Hot Die Detection/Thermal Shutdown protection"
    &
    "Interface signals to manage monitoring, operation controlling, regulator voltage setting changes"

I would think between those two things... there is something bound to allow to read the temp.

Processor Map:

Last edited by Hybrid AWD; 03/24/2010 at 11:58 AM.
    Thermal protection and hot-die shut down would almost certainly require a temperate sensor, although that doesn't mean the sensor will be exposed to the operating system.

I assume that processor is what's in the pixi. Here's the link for the Pre's processor: OMAP™ 3 Processors - OMAP3430

A temperature monitor would be a great tool to have. Maybe with all the digging through the processor that caj has been doing recently he would know more about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roisen View Post
    Thermal protection and hot-die shut down would almost certainly require a temperate sensor, although that doesn't mean the sensor will be exposed to the operating system.

I assume that processor is what's in the pixi. Here's the link for the Pre's processor: OMAPô 3 Processors - OMAP3430

A temperature monitor would be a great tool to have. Maybe with all the digging through the processor that caj has been doing recently he would know more about this.
    pixie procesor different

the Thermal protection and hot-die shut down are not temperature sensors, just components built into cpu (at least traditionally on intel cpus).

The cpu does have a temperature sensor though....i will look around in the OS to see if i can find if it out puts temp and if so where it outputs it.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roisen View Post

I assume that processor is what's in the pixi. Here's the link for the Pre's processor: OMAP™ 3 Processors - OMAP3430

I just linked the map into the original post.

My question would be whether there's already a sensor in place. The reason I ask that is because of the thermal protection already in place. There has to be something that determines it's "too hot" and shuts down. Maybe this is the "bricking" that has happened to some in the past?

Check out this quote from TI about the chip:

"The chip makes exhaustive use of TI's SmartReflex technologies which include a broad range of intelligent and adaptive hardware and software techniques that dynamically control voltage, frequency and power based on device activity, modes of operation and temperature"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD View Post
    I just linked the map into the original post.

My question would be whether there's already a sensor in place. The reason I ask that is because of the thermal protection already in place. There has to be something that determines it's "too hot" and shuts down. Maybe this is the "bricking" that has happened to some in the past?

Check out this quote from TI about the chip:

"The chip makes exhaustive use of TI's SmartReflex technologies which include a broad range of intelligent and adaptive hardware and software techniques that dynamically control voltage, frequency and power based on device activity, modes of operation and temperature"
    all that stuff is built into the silicon but are not made to be temperature sensors that relay info to the mobo.

The temperature sensors are also built into the silicon but im afraid the kernel is not reading them. I just looked every where in all the regular places in the OS and could not find the temperature output. You can tell that Palm heavily modified this kernel compared to the default 2.6.24 kernel.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    The homebrew Battery Monitor app does report a temperature figure. Not sure from where it's obtained, but that may be a useful place to look. {Jonathan}
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    The homebrew Battery Monitor app does report a temperature figure. Not sure from where it's obtained, but that may be a useful place to look. {Jonathan}
    I sent Neville a message as he was the creator of Battery Monitor I believe. Hopefully he can chime in and give some insight on where the temp information is being pulled from.
    I believe the temp info is simply a calculation from voltage and amperage use.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I believe the temp info is simply a calculation from voltage and amperage use.
    You just made me realize something. Most likely the temp sensor that is being referred to in Battery Monitor is the battery temp, not processor temp. Although, one may sort of be related to the other.
    It is the battery temp that he is gathering. I'm looking at his code as we speak

{property:$L("Temperature (C)"), value:this.payload.temperature_C},
    I was actually coming to the forums to start a thread like this. It would be nice to have a icon showing the temp of the device.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    It is the battery temp that he is gathering. I'm looking at his code as we speak

{property:$L("Temperature (C)"), value:this.payload.temperature_C},
    Yeah I don't know why it didn't dawn on me before. So that makes me think SmartReflex is based off battery temp and not processor temp.

It's not a bad thing knowing the battery temp, but it's probably more helpful knowing when the processor is near a dangerous temp level.

Not that TI would tell me, but I'd be curious to ask them if it does indeed use the bettery temp instead of the processor temp. It'd be kind of nice to see if you can relate the battery temp to the processor temp as well.
    this.queryBatteryStatusReq = new Mojo.Service.Request('palm://com.palm.power/com/palm/power/', {
    method: 'batteryStatusQuery'});

I'm thinking the information is gather by this
    yup ^

All the information comes off of the service request for the battery info. From my understanding, the temperature is grabbed specifically from the battery and not the processor. I don't work for Palm though, so I can't say for sure :P.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Jay Canuck has a patch posted for Temperature Monitoring next to current Battery Life indicator.
  16. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Would be nice on the top bar or even in the far left replacing the carrier string. I think Jason made one for the date to replace the carrier string so it shouldn't be impossible.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.