Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I found this, but can someone dummy down the instructions a bit I have no idea what a command line is..
    Stacy

From the Linux command line enter:

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    killall UpdateDaemon

Hit enter twice between each line to get me back to a root prompt.

If you disabled your update you might want to re-enable it at some point.

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

Then restart your phone and automatic updating should be back.
  2.    #2  
    Everything is working perfectly on my device, I don't want to ruin it.
    go to preware, look for 'terminal' and download and install it (terminal works if you are 1.3.5.1 now)

open up terminal and type each line One By One, and press enter after every line

note it will not give any OK, as long as you see no error messages you did it correctly
  4.    #4  
    thanks, trim81, I will install preware tonight, when I get off work.
  5.    #5  
    Works like a charm, no more annoying update reminders.
    good deal-

I just wish a Kind Developer can make this into an app where we can easily toggle on and off...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    good deal-

I just wish a Kind Developer can make this into an app where we can easily toggle on and off...
    Will the Linux Commandline in the WOSQI work for this as well?
    Does this script only disable the AUTO-updates? Can a person have this script installed and still use the update icon?
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    what it does is it takes the right from the auto update daemon away to even be executed.
    I don't think the update app uses the daemon to check for updates if you launch it manually, and you can easily undo that modification by just granting the execution right again by replacing

chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon

with

chmod +x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    Quote Originally Posted by joshw9805 View Post
    Will the Linux Commandline in the WOSQI work for this as well?
    yes, that will work as well. that is how i entered the commands last night.
    trying this now, cause i can wait until the patches are available on the new software...
    I put this code into a file called /var/home/root/util/toggle-update.sh . You can "chmod -x" the file if you want.

The script checks if you're root before trying to make changes. Whether you're root or not, it will print the current status at the end. When enabling executability (is that a word?), it will also start the daemon so you don't have to reboot the phone.
    In my experience, the daemon must be running for the Updates app to work.
    Note that when the daemon is stopped, the "status" check reports that the daemon is "(stop) waiting" even though it's apparently fully stopped.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

MNT_PT=/
    MNT_FS_TYPE=ext3
    FILE=/usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    BASE=`basename $FILE`

if [ `id -u -n` = 'root' ]; then
      IS_ROOT=1
    else
      IS_ROOT=0
    fi

if [ $IS_ROOT -eq 1 ]; then
      echo 'mounting rw'
      mount -o rw,remount $MNT_PT
      if [ -x $FILE ]; then
        echo 'disable exec'
        chmod -x $FILE
        echo 'stopping service'
        /sbin/stop $BASE
      else
        echo 'enable exec'
        chmod +x $FILE
        echo 'starting service'
        /sbin/start $BASE
      fi
      echo 'mounting ro'
      mount -o ro,remount $MNT_PT
    else
      echo 'Can only make changes as root'
    fi

echo
    echo 'CURRENT STATUS:'
    mount | grep " on ${MNT_PT} type ${MNT_FS_TYPE}"
    ls -l $FILE
    if [ $IS_ROOT -eq 1 ]; then
      # bonus msg if we're root
      /sbin/status $BASE
    fi
    ps -ef | grep $FILE\$
    md5sum is 0a4e0271defe25489851ee08df986457
    (or a99687c77462a89316553383ffb76b4b with a trailing blank line)
    If you google for:
    "web os" 1.4.1.1
    and look for the engadget link...

Looks like it has some useful fixes like for the double character bug when using the hardkeys, and enabling pinch-zooming for PDF and doc viewers.

I'm really annoyed by those issues so I'll probably update soon.
    Is this still current, and will it still disable the update?
    +1, and could this be made into a patch or app perhaps? I just typed it in using Terminus, and I assume it will work. But an app similar to Dev mode would be cool.
    I was able to change/stop the Update Daemon process which I hope keeps away the 1.4.5 update.

EDIT: after changing UpdateDaemon, the "Updates" application just spins with the message "Checking for update ..." which is too bad. Anyone else seeing this? I thought killing the UpdateDaemon would still allow for manual updates of applications like the ones I purchased.
    Last edited by swieder; 07/11/2010 at 12:09 PM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I just confirmed that using "chmod +x UpdateDaemon" gets manual updates working again.

Would be nice if I could just stop the OS updates from installing while still being able to update applications.
    Any suggestions on how to disable WebOS updates, but allow application updates?

My Pre+ is running great with 1.4.2. I would like to keep this setup until 1.5 or 2.0 come along.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Any suggestions on how to disable WebOS updates, but allow application updates?
    If you have disabled the update daemon, there IS a way you can still update applications. Just tap on the App Catalog to start it, and then once it is loaded, tap on the button in the bottom right that looks like a shopping bag. This will load a list of all your currently installed apps, and will prompt you to install updates if any are available.

I have tested and confirmed this on my own phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    If you have disabled the update daemon, there IS a way you can still update applications. Just tap on the App Catalog to start it, and then once it is loaded, tap on the button in the bottom right that looks like a shopping bag. This will load a list of all your currently installed apps, and will prompt you to install updates if any are available.

I have tested and confirmed this on my own phone.
    That worked. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast