1.    #1  
    So, I've been working on increasing the swap space on the pre to try to minimise the 'too many cards' error...I have managed to allocate 512Mb of swap files in the /media/internal/ space, however this is less than ideal, is their anyone who would know about, and want to work on, adding a swap partition from this location?as this would give us a large boost in the amount of multitasking!!

Sadly, swap files are so inefficient, the performance difference is minimal, however, with 1.4 the swap partition is in continual use, and only 128M big, if we can push open apps into a larger swap space by increasing the swap speed, we will be freeing up alot of RAM?!?!

Please note, as I have stated in a previous thread, newbie to linux...so go easy...
    You might take a look at this thread. I looks like Palm is using ram for swap.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...cleaner-2.html
    it is a very very very very very very very very VERY bad idea to allocate any area on the solid state drive for swap space.

1.) buy thumb drive
    2.) install linux on it
    3.) use heavily for a few weeks
    4.) wonder why it doesn't work anymore

You can't consistantly write to the same areas of memory over and over again on solid state without some sort of wear leveling. I'm sure this is a possibility, but you'd have to restructure the current file system, and even then, I'm not so sure it's reasonable.
    Bringing you the first video recorder (Precorder), the first SDL application/game (DOOM), the first "make my magicjack/corporate voicemail play on my webos phone thingy" (gsm codec package), and now, webos's first opensource media recorder (voice and stream!) -> zcorder
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    You might take a look at this thread. I looks like Palm is using ram for swap.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...cleaner-2.html
    cheers for the head up on that thread, i'l have a good look through it, but if the ram is being used as swap, could you not force swapping to allocated swap space?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post
    it is a very very very very very very very very VERY bad idea to allocate any area on the solid state drive for swap space.

1.) buy thumb drive
    2.) install linux on it
    3.) use heavily for a few weeks
    4.) wonder why it doesn't work anymore

You can't consistantly write to the same areas of memory over and over again on solid state without some sort of wear leveling. I'm sure this is a possibility, but you'd have to restructure the current file system, and even then, I'm not so sure it's reasonable.
    yeh, i thought about the increase in cycles, but i wasn't 100% on its full effect, I was told that as the memory cycles are so high, it wouldn't really matter as the wear wont be noticeable for at least 12-24 months;

Edit: Also, if all you do is increase the current swap partition...which is being heavily utilised by 1.4...is this going to be any more detrimental to the available cycles, as the 'wear' issue on SSD's is going to occur anyway...if the swap partition is on the same physical drive as /media/internal/
    Last edited by phil.hsr; 03/18/2010 at 04:00 PM.