1.    #1  
    Never used Notepad++, what advantage does it have?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    It has a lot of useful features like Syntax highlighting and a tabbed interface..

.:: NOTEPAD++ ::.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Notepad++ >>>>>> Komodo >>>>>> Eclipse >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Notepad.

That is all.
    gvim. it even runs on that windoze thingydoo. it even runs from a flash drive on that windoze thingydoo if forced to use somebody else's computer. the non-gtkified version is part of the busybox shell on your WebOS device. it doesn't put weird-assed characters at the end of every string on your poor little WebOS device. groovy.
    The big advantage for me over notepad is a deeper undo
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Handling CR-LF vs LF.
    Notepad++ has some features that are so useful, every now and then I close down Visual Studio (which I use at work) and open Notepad++ to get some heavy lifting done.
    Things I've done in Notepad++ that I can't do in VS, much less Notepad:
    - Compare two similar (or identical) files side-by-side, complete with highlighted diffs.
    - View two different parts of the same file in side-by-side frames.
    - Record and play back a macro for very repetitive editing.
    - Convert line endings to/from Unix.
    - Get syntax highlighting for tons of types of source code, including shell scripts.

There are too many other features to mention in a forum post, yet the program feels much lighter than any of the other development tools I use. Everyone in my office who ever deals with ASCII files (even non-coders) is completely sold on Notepad++.