1.    #1  
    So with the cloud storage solutions we have - Zumodrive and Dropbox, for example - are the files stored just in the cloud and accessed by the computers or are they linked to each computer and actually stored on the computer itself?

For example, if I have 2 gigs of files in a Dropbox folder (or Zumodrive), and have Dropbox set up on 4 different computers, are those 2 gigs of files stored in the cloud AND locally on each individual computer (4 computers x 2 gigs = 8 gigs of storage actually used up across computers), or is it just STORED in the cloud and then accessed by each computer? (Therefore 2 gigs used in the cloud but 0 gigs used up locally on each computer?)

Just curious how it works...

TIA.

Sean
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Good question, and the only reason I know about Dropbox and use is I use it this way. Drop box actually puts copies of the files on your local hard drive. You can evidence this by unplugging from the cloud. Your files are still available. Never used Zumodrive (actually never even heard of it).

Cheers
    tdogg
  3.    #3  
    The only reason I mention Zumodrive is because they just released a Zumodrive app for webOS (check the App Catalog). Will actually stream music from your Zumodrive to your Pre!
    With Zumodrive you can either sync folders in which case they are stored locally aswell or you can upload them to the cloud in which case you could then delete them from your pc if you wanted to.
    can you still access these files even if the computer with the program is closed?
    I just downloaded ZumoDrive, it works great for everything but music. That part is incredibly buggy. I haven't yet tried Dropbox yet so I can't really comment.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    dropbox FTW, but no app for webOS. signed up for zumodrive but the 2gb is only 1gb at sign-up, doubled after doing silly tutorials on the site. i'm doing just fine with dropbox.
    ---
    ---

launch-day pre: the original gangsta.

twitter / posterous
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by stueybuk View Post
    With Zumodrive you can either sync folders in which case they are stored locally aswell or you can upload them to the cloud in which case you could then delete them from your pc if you wanted to.
    Arcane,

This is why I'd rather use Zumo drive instead of Dropbox. That plus the webOS app. I don't like the idea of duplicating storage across several computers. I'd rather have it in the cloud and just access it from my computers (and phone).
    I'm the other way. I'd rather set up a shared folder on Dropbox that is automatically synchronized with the Palm Pre. I'd like to manage MP3 (and videos) from a podcatcher and have those files sent to the 'cloud' then synced to the Pre so they'll be ready to listen or watch when I'm not in 3G coverage areas (or on a flight!!!) Not having to thing about this from the phone would be great ... and having it do the sync when I'm connected to wifi all the better. (I'd have no problem managing this from my computer)

Haven't check Zumodrive and app yet ... does it work this way?
    I think dropbox and zumodrive both save to the cloud. If they saved locally those files would be on your Pre when you go to the document app. I am actually using both of them to see which better suits my needs.
    Any update between both cloud storage services?