Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yes, I know there is a lot of talk about where Docs 2 Go is...but all the talk seems to be on our side...haven't heard anything definitive from Dataviz.

So, I was thinking, perhaps nothing is happening over at Dataviz...maybe the time is right for one of the excellent developers out there to create at least a basic doc editor and/or spreadsheet app that can save files that can be used with Microsoft Office. I think you could get some months of sales out of it...since it doesn't look like Dataviz is getting things done.

What do you think?
    I think it would be great...But I'm not a developer...and writing a suite like that from scratch would be a lot of work, especially for a one-person operation.

BUT, with the arrival of a Qt plugin, and a demo of a spreadsheet on Preware, it may not be all that hard. I sent an email to @griffininet a couple of days ago asking what it would take to port a spreadsheet to webos, and he felt that the demo he put up could be made functional in a week or so by a senior lever programmer who was experienced in Qt. Of course he's busy like the rest of us, and he wouldn't be able to do it.

And then there would be other issues:

• The Qt programs that are available seem to be GNU GPL, or some other open-source license that might make selling anything developed from them difficult.
    • It probably won't save files in .xls or .doc so one would need to make sure that it is in a format that excel/word can read and write to without loss of format or formulas.
    • The Qt port is unofficial, so getting it on the app catalog will probably take a while.
    • I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of.

I have toyed around with the idea of setting up a fund to pay a developer to do the work. They wouldn't be selling it, they would just be making it functional for everyone, and we would pay him/her for their time and expenses.

So how about these questions:

Is anyone desparate enough for these programs to invest money up front to pay a developer to do the work? (I'm not sure I am yet, so don't hold me to it.)

Is there a developer with the expertise and desire to do it? And how much money would be enough to have you do it, and have it done in 30 or 45 days?

If it were available, and it could be a paid app, how many people would be willing to buy it, and how much would they be willing to pay for it? Given the nature of the program and the market being what it is, that number will have to be far less than what dataviz would charge for DtG.
  3.    #3  
    I recently bought Docs2Go for the DROID (my company's emergency phone) aboot $17 I think. I think I would pay $15 for this.

thanks for the helpful response BTW.

"aboot"? That's not my accent...that's my Pre+ keyboard issue popping up again...gotta try the rapid press solutioon, see!
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 03/17/2010 at 07:25 AM.
    Well, it seems that this thread is as dead as dataviz' efforts to make DtG available for webos. Even perusing the other threads, it is apparent that there just are not that many of us who really need document editing capability. Most of the app requests out there are for entertainment and social networking with a few enhanced PIM/phone requests mixed in.

In the back of my mind, I just want to hope that Dataviz will be able to easily port the iphone version of DtG over to webos in short oder. "Early 2010" could mean many things, so I will give it until July 1. If DtG is not here by then, then it will be obvious that I need to look elsewhere.

it's too bad. There are so many things about webos that make it awesome, but this is something I just can't do without.
    I would be very interested in a workable spreadsheet in webos. I have used Docs 2 Go from a Sony Clie, Palm treo, Palm Centro. It is very handy and useful in my business to quote on the road. I am feeling very letdown by DataViz. And will have to do something with in the next 4 - 6 months. GlassPaul
    Followup on my earlier post. I tried the classic by Motion.. The Doc 2 Go does not work correctly all the time. Would not recognize the excel file to open them. Display is too small for the finger to keep poking and hit the buttons or slide correctly.
    Tried the Google Docs Mobile spreadsheet. Works find on the desktop computer, very poor on the mobile palm pre setup. Send help, we need the cure. Glass Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by glasspaul View Post
    Followup on my earlier post. I tried the classic by Motion.. The Doc 2 Go does not work correctly all the time. Would not recognize the excel file to open them. Display is too small for the finger to keep poking and hit the buttons or slide correctly.
    Tried the Google Docs Mobile spreadsheet. Works find on the desktop computer, very poor on the mobile palm pre setup. Send help, we need the cure. Glass Paul
    If you haven't already done so, check out this thread for instructions on installing and using DtG on classic. Also, Motion Apps is very active on PreCentral, so you might PM them or post in one of the existing threads.

I already have DtG on my old WM phone, so I don't see the point in spending the money on Classic. I just carry around two phones and hate every minute of it.
  8.    #8  
    I'm rather surprised this thread didn't generate more interest. There is a lot of complaining on the Precentral article pages about how many want something like DTG. Well, maybe those of us who need productivity apps are a little busier on productivity 'things' we need to do...and don't have as much time to search and post on the forums...in fact...WHAT AM I DOING! I HAVE A PERMIT APPLICATION I HAVE TO FINISH AND TIME'S A WASTIN'!

I'll check back during my coffee break...I think I'll have french roast...medium grind...with a whisper of cinnamon.
    Would porting Open Office be an option?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    That has been discussed in the past. Apparently it would be a rather large task as OO.o has never been intended to run on a mobile platform, and the sheer size of the program would make the whole process very cumbersome.

I am game for anything though. I really don't care where the program comes from, as long as it works. Even if it is clunky, I'll use it.

The only reason I'm pushing for Qt is because the Qt speadsheet demo on preware is the first thing that has shown up that looks like a spreadsheet, and the developer told me it would be possible to port it into a working app in short order.
    fwiw, I've been using Google Docs on the Pre to update my spreadsheets online. It's not as pleasant as an on-device app would be, but it usually gets the job done. I say usually because since 1.4, changes sometimes don't save. The QT Spreadsheet editor was really struggling to function on my Pre when I quickly tried it. I'm not sure what's up with that, but I'm glad that spreadsheets are on somebody's mind. I do hope it can be webos-ized (less like win95).
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Not that I would know how to do it, but I would think that people would be better off pursuing a port of the much lighter weight Abiword and Gnumeric word processing and spreadsheet apps, which still have most of the necessary functions but are much smaller and less resource-intensive.

Abiword has a 8MB installer (for Windows at least), Gnumeric is 19MB.

For comparison, the Windows installer of OpenOffice is 135MB.

You also have the issue that OpenOffice requires a Java runtime, which webOS only has available for services.
    Quote Originally Posted by discolightning View Post
    fwiw, I've been using Google Docs on the Pre to update my spreadsheets online. It's not as pleasant as an on-device app would be, but it usually gets the job done. I say usually because since 1.4, changes sometimes don't save. The QT Spreadsheet editor was really struggling to function on my Pre when I quickly tried it. I'm not sure what's up with that, but I'm glad that spreadsheets are on somebody's mind. I do hope it can be webos-ized (less like win95).
    Unfortunately, I and many others are unable to use google docs for security and privacy reasons. Add to that the limitation of having to have an internet connection all the time would make it impractical to use.

if you are doing anything on google docs that might be personal, private, or intellectual property, you should carefully read the tos and make sure that you know what might happen to your stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    Unfortunately, I and many others are unable to use google docs for security and privacy reasons. Add to that the limitation of having to have an internet connection all the time would make it impractical to use.

if you are doing anything on google docs that might be personal, private, or intellectual property, you should carefully read the tos and make sure that you know what might happen to your stuff.
    i'm just using gdocs to manage my diabetes. it works nicely since my doctors can check in at anytime with the online spreadsheets. i wouldn't use it to track finances or sensitive data if there are privacy concerns. having an app for spreadsheet editing would make my life a little easier, though.

does the QT spreadsheet demo seem laggy to you? i'm going to try it again, but it was pretty difficult to use last time i attempted it.
    yeah, the qt demo is awful if you are actually expecting a spreadsheet program. Besides the obvious lag and scrolling issues, you can't even save your file for one thing. And only having 5 functions is not going to make it either.

But it is the first we've seen. Darron did not intend for it to be a functioning demo. Bssically he just took an existing demo and put it up on preware with no modifications. What we need is for someone to take an existing program that is fully functioning and rework the interface to work on a phone.

Qt seems to be the shortest route to that goal given that someone has already set up the architecture for the importing of apps.

But, like I said before, I don't care where the program comes from, don't even care if it's clunky, I only care that it is functional.
    ok, just an example of what might be an option: Download Opie Sheet 1.0.2 for Linux - Opie Sheet (formerly Sheet/Qt) is a spreadsheet software - Softpedia

Opie Sheet was developed for the sharp zaurus, has it's roots in Qt, runs on linux, and has a 92k installer.
    A quick fix might be to use Documents to Go on the Classic emulator, but it requires investment in both Documents and Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by osmanmia View Post
    A quick fix might be to use Documents to Go on the Classic emulator, but it requires investment in both Documents and Classic.
    Thanks, but no. We've already covered that. I already have DtG on my old MotoQ so I have been carrying both phones with me all the time. I don't see the point in investing in both programs when I already have it on my old phone. I would have no other use for classic on my pre.

And isn't that the problem: the Pre needs to have it's own native apps. There are over 2000 apps available for Webos right now if you count homebrew. There are a lot of good programs, a lot that provide cool functionality to the phone, but this area is still missing.

And why not? I guarantee that I will buy the first speadsheet program that shows up in the app catalog. I'm sure I won't be the only one. Whoever does it will definitely make some money.

Having these programs available will benefit the WebOS community as a whole, and that's why I would even consider ponying up some funds in advance to help make it happen. We just need a programmer that's interested, and enough interest from enough users to make it happen. Right now, it doesn't look like we have either.

Oh well.
    I would buy the first webos spreadsheet program. Waiting. Glasspaul
    IMHO it won't take a long time for mobile office suites to be ported to webOS. After the QT framework being ported, I'm sure someone will start the effort to build koffice for our system. Wouldn't that be great? Koffice can be run on the NITs already. Much smaller than OO and optimized for mobile systems.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast