1.    #1  
    I just tweeted about this, but I feel like it needs to be said, and not many people will see it if it's just on my Twitter feed.

Developers who use the USB drive partition for file storage, can you please put it as a subfolder in /media/internal/.app-storage/ ?

The reasons for this are two-fold. One, it gets really annoying when there's a ton of new folders every time you plug in the Pre. Honestly, there's already so many folders that are on the USB drive partition by default. We've got, .app-storage, .palm, .sysservice, .temp, .wallpapers, DCIM, documents, downloads, ringtones, wallpapers.

I realize that some of these are hidden, but on principle I wish some of them were combined into one or two. I'd have preferred if Palm's developers just kept it to .app-storage, and .palm, with all the other hidden stuff in the .palm folder, but that's going a little off topic.

The point is, that the folder structure quickly becomes a mess if every application makes its own folder. For example, I've got folders for DrPodder, Slacker, MyTether, plus files for Preware / the webOS-Internals patching system. Things quickly get out of hand if each app that uses the storage creates its own folder.

Two, if you use any pictures, videos, or documents, including plain-text files with no extension, this will keep them from getting picked up by the Pre's file browsers, because they're contained in a hidden folder. I don't know about you, but when I want to open a document, I don't want to scan through 50 files that Slacker created, for example.

Now, I realize that the main reason for the .app-storage folder is technically for databases for apps that don't use cookies, but I see no reason that it can't pull double-duty.

If there's anything technical I'm missing out on, I'd love to hear it.
    It's a reasonable request to keep things organized. I'm not exactly sure _where_ they should be organized, but this is as good a place as any for temp files in my book.
    Bringing you the first video recorder (Precorder), the first SDL application/game (DOOM), the first "make my magicjack/corporate voicemail play on my webos phone thingy" (gsm codec package), and now, webos's first opensource media recorder (voice and stream!) -> zcorder
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I just tweeted about this, but I feel like it needs to be said, and not many people will see it if it's just on my Twitter feed.

Developers who use the USB drive partition for file storage, can you please put it as a subfolder in /media/internal/.app-storage/ ?
    I understand your motivation for this, but I'm a little hesitant to go writing things in Palm's folders. What if at some point in the future Palm decides to lock down file access and implement an actual security model? I bet .app-storage would be one of the first they'd lock up (since it's theoretically possible for any app to do ... interesting things with that folder).

Additionally, maybe the user does want some files visible? If your application's data is under .app-storage, then none of your files can be visible.

I understand the frustration of seeing many folders in /media/internal. But I don't think throwing them into .app-storage is the right solution. Maybe we need another agreed-upon folder like appData or something?
  4.    #4  
    Definitely good points, that'd work too if people agreed on something. I just figured since it's already there, use that folder.

Anything would be better than how it is now with every app using its own folder though.
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    I understand the frustration of seeing many folders in /media/internal. But I don't think throwing them into .app-storage is the right solution. Maybe we need another agreed-upon folder like appData or something?
    Maybe some like "Program Files" ... Just kidding

I know this spot might get deleted if the app is removed.. I have not tried this, but can we write to Mojo.appPath ?