1.    #1  
    Hello! I have created an early version of this application as a proof of concept/base for future development. It works properly only under MAC OS as of now.

currently named:
    WOM (Web OS Manager)

screenshot (sorry it is a bit in Russian, as my Pre data is in Russian)

how to use:
    1. download WOM 0.1 from http://ahsirg.kvplab.com/dp/files/wom.zip
    2. Extract the files to some directory
    3. Make sure NovaCom is installed
    4. Connect the Pre/Pixi with Developer mode enabled
    5. Run WOM.jar

It can as of now view/export sms and edit memos (not create new).
    PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Maybe Backup PalmDatabase.db3 from /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3

I would like to hear thoughts, suggestions, anything

Regards,
    -Ryhor
    Last edited by ahsirg; 03/14/2010 at 09:05 AM.
    Scanned for malware with Kaspersky and found no entries. No offence, but I just had to throw that out there.

I try to start it and it gives a "Error loading database! Please restart the program to try again!"

Any ideas? My Pre is plugged in with Novacom installed.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I downloaded it and got the same error as Abyssul. Then I extracted the files into a directory (my desktop) and it is just hogging resources through javaw.exe, so it is started but not doing anything.

I will continue to wait a few minutes before killing the process in hope that it is simply transferring the database file.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    oh crap. Didn't even dawn on me til I reread the post. Ryhor Barukou from ashrigs. If some of you remember from PalmOS days, he was the Touch Launcher phenomenom. Don't know how long you been here or writting for webOS (My lack of attention to detail) BUT... He did put out some good work, (i loved it) and am glad he is here.

for those scanning for trojans and viruses, go ahead and google "ashrig ryhor palm os" and you'll see his credentials.
    Perfect. This software destroyed my database file just by reading it.

I WILL NOT EVER USE SOFTWARE FROM THIS DEV AGAIN
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post

He did say back it up...
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    He did say back it up...
    I am aware, but you do not fail to open a file up only to overwrite it with nothing. That is bad programming practice, and has never been an accepted practice. In fact, game developers still do this and it causes people to lose everything they spend weeks working on.

Considering it never even opened up the file (nothing opened up and I NEVER modified anything through this software)

People need to learn how to properly manage the writing of file data before trying to program.
    Arthur Thornton

8.    #8  
    I have to appologize for everyone's problems. The app is very very very unstable, and as I found out from further testing only works on MAC as of now. I will try to improve it and get into a condition that suits the people's needs.
    arthurthornton, a personal sorry for destroying your database, could you please be more specific on what do you mean by "Destroyed" as my app only calls "novacom get file://" which couldn't have written anything to the device unless you pressed upload data.

Whew. Sure glad I READ the OP's post. It did say, 'back up' your database.

.... But heck. What are directions for?
  10.    #10  
    JohnnyPre, your database got scr*wed as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    JohnnyPre, your database got scr*wed as well?
    He was being sarcastic. Just reminding arthurthornton that he should be reading (and following) directions before alpha testing software.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    I have to appologize for everyone's problems. The app is very very very unstable, and as I found out from further testing only works on MAC as of now. I will try to improve it and get into a condition that suits the people's needs.
    arthurthornton, a personal sorry for destroying your database, could you please be more specific on what do you mean by "Destroyed" as my app only calls "novacom get file://" which couldn't have written anything to the device unless you pressed upload data.
    I had a backup of my data.

It completely destroyed the file on the Pre. I ran the software and I killed the process that Java spawned (javaw.exe) after 30 minutes of no activity and about 50MB of ram use (started at 15MB). Then I opened up Facebook and was told I had to "restore" my Pre because the data was gone (some message like that).

Then I copied the backup file to the Pre and when I booted up, I had to do a full profile restoration. I mean full. The patches aren't recognized as installed. All apps disappeared. All data gone. The only thing there were the icons that got modified from the theme I installed before the whole thing happened.

Needless to say, I lost all data on my Pre, EVEN THOUGH I HAD A BACKUP.
    Yes, this is VERY unstable software and I will not use this. I will write my own solution to do something similar and I will keep in mind the necessary mechanisms for file I/O over novacom.
    Arthur Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Whew. Sure glad I READ the OP's post. It did say, 'back up' your database.

.... But heck. What are directions for?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    He was being sarcastic. Just reminding arthurthornton that he should be reading (and following) directions before alpha testing software.
    I did make a backup and if you complete idiots would read my latest reply (before this one that is), you will see that it all got wiped, EVEN WITH ME RESTORING IT.
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 03/15/2010 at 02:23 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

I did make a backup and if you complete idiots would read my latest reply (before this one that is), you will see that it all got wiped, EVEN WITH ME RESTORING IT.

Don't make assumptions. You will always end up failing at life (or did you already do that??)
    Wow. I'll take the complete ***** thing no problem. As long as you don't call me a 'mind reader'.

Maybe I did fail at life. At least my Pre didn't fail.

Ahole.
    Interesting development, and interesting ******s.

I look forward to progress with WOM, I LOVED your Treo work
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    What part of back up your db file was unclear. You fail.
    So this guy's app is so malicious that it reached all the way into a backup location on your computer and corrupted that file too?

Doesn't wash dude. You didn't back up and you're ****ed at yourself and you want to blame a developer that WARNED you. You failed, don't take it out on us jack.

Apology accepted in advance.

If I said something and you thought 'Thanks,' you can show it by Thanking me... Thanks!
    Someone needed more hugs as a child. Get over yourself.
  19.    #19  
    I would like to thank everybody, who has tested the application, and the people, who tried to help. And also apologize again for unwanted results. The development will continue, just it'll be private until further notice.

Regards,
    Ryhor
    Thanks for putting your time and effort into something that I'm sure a lot of people will find useful. It would be great during the private "beta" period if you could periodically post updates on your progress.