Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    According to Enda McGrath of Palm:

    enda.mcgrath wrote:
    Ok so here is the issue and resolution. In order to protect the system from unknown apps running in the background, taking up memory etc the system will shut down any headless app after a short period of time. However if the app has a UI child window the headless part will not be closed.

    So you should display a dashboard that just informs the user a background process is happening, this also give a good user experience instead of their device running slow for no apparent reason.

    Regards

    Enda
    Forums webOS • View topic - (1.4) GPS getCurrentPosition timing out and app dies

    In other words, your background app has to pop up a UI every some-odd seconds (she doesn't say what the actual time is). Has anyone confirmed this with a test?
  2. #2  
    youview is having this problem
  3. #3  
    this has been the case since day one, the limit is 10s not 60s and this only effects a script running in the background, so if you have to poll for info you use alarms to wake the app and get the info you need, this background polling has to be finished on 10s so or its shutdown.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    this has been the case since day one, the limit is 10s not 60s and this only effects a script running in the background, so if you have to poll for info you use alarms to wake the app and get the info you need, this background polling has to be finished on 10s so or its shutdown.
    When you say day one, you must mean day one of 1.4 because it was working in 1.3.5.

    10 seconds? That's idiotic. It seems like this is the same Palm response to battery life issues:

    "You have problems with the battery on your smart phone? Easy fix: turn off everything that makes it a smart phone and it'll last as long as any smart phone out there!"
  5. #5  
    I'm the creator of the thread that 6tr6tr linked to. Prior to 1.4, activityStart allowed your app to run in the background for the amount of time specified in the activityStart call, or until you call activityEnd. It appears Palm changed this in 1.4 but did not communicate this change. As a result, any app that periodically ran in the background via an alarm and relied on activityStart to keep the app alive (because of the 10-second limit) will no longer be able to complete its background tasks.

    Enda's "solution" is to display some type of visual UI element on the phone during the background processing; however users will not appreciate having something pop up on the phone everytime your app does something in the background. So this is not a viable solution.

    I've worked around the issue in GeoStrings by reducing the amount of time necessary for my background processing to complete. However some apps may not be able to work around it and any workarounds are not going to be ideal. I hope Palm eventually realizes the severity of this issue and starts to act on it. Right now though they're indicating in that thread that there will be no short-term fix for this issue.

    For anyone who has an app that is affected by this change, please post in the thread linked above and let Palm know about it. If more people provide feedback, they may change their position and start considering this a high priority issue.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  6. SiLlY's Avatar
    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    #6  
    My guess is, it was an attempt to increase battery life. I'd say fail/fail. Battery life has decreased for unkown reasons and now some apps are broken due to this change. I don't understand why this would be disabled. Seems like a step backwards to me but than again.. I have no clue what their ultimate goal is. Did this break any official palm apps? If so.. this would make even less sense.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    My guess is, it was an attempt to increase battery life. I'd say fail/fail. Battery life has decreased for unkown reasons and now some apps are broken due to this change. I don't understand why this would be disabled. Seems like a step backwards to me but than again.. I have no clue what their ultimate goal is. Did this break any official palm apps? If so.. this would make even less sense.
    Regardless of whether I agree with the change or not, they should have communicated this change to the developers in the 1.4 release notes (both for the beta builds and the final release build). This has not been done.

    I started the thread in the Palm Dev forums on 3/1 but did not get a response (after multiple thread bumps) until 3/10. I also had another issue with 1.4 that I found during beta testing that I posted in their forums on 1/24. After multiple thread bumps, I didn't get a response until a month later. Yes a month. And I saw several other examples of this in the beta forums, as well as now in the regular dev forums. The recent lack of communication between Palm and the developers in regards to 1.4 issues is disappointing.

    But back to the issue... It really was a poor decision on their part. It should be up to the developer to use the given resources wisely and ensure their apps do not overuse the battery or CPU and releases its memory properly.

    I'm not sure if any Palm apps are affected by this. I suspect Palm apps still have this ability since our phones are still able to check for new emails without displaying any type of visual indicator on the phone.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Regardless of whether I agree with the change or not, they should have communicated this change to the developers in the 1.4 release notes (both for the beta builds and the final release build). This has not been done.

    I started the thread in the Palm Dev forums on 3/1 but did not get a response (after multiple thread bumps) until 3/10. I also had another issue with 1.4 that I found during beta testing that I posted in their forums on 1/24. After multiple thread bumps, I didn't get a response until a month later. Yes a month. And I saw several other examples of this in the beta forums, as well as now in the regular dev forums. The recent lack of communication between Palm and the developers in regards to 1.4 issues is disappointing.

    But back to the issue... It really was a poor decision on their part. It should be up to the developer to use the given resources wisely and ensure their apps do not overuse the battery or CPU and releases its memory properly.

    I'm not sure if any Palm apps are affected by this. I suspect Palm apps still have this ability since our phones are still able to check for new emails without displaying any type of visual indicator on the phone.
    I agree and really this is the same crap Palm's been telling people since battery issues started being noticed: "Just disable everything that makes your phone a smartphone and it'll run as well and long as any other smartphone!" Ugh.
  9. SiLlY's Avatar
    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Regardless of whether I agree with the change or not, they should have communicated this change to the developers in the 1.4 release notes (both for the beta builds and the final release build). This has not been done.

    I started the thread in the Palm Dev forums on 3/1 but did not get a response (after multiple thread bumps) until 3/10. I also had another issue with 1.4 that I found during beta testing that I posted in their forums on 1/24. After multiple thread bumps, I didn't get a response until a month later. Yes a month. And I saw several other examples of this in the beta forums, as well as now in the regular dev forums. The recent lack of communication between Palm and the developers in regards to 1.4 issues is disappointing.

    But back to the issue... It really was a poor decision on their part. It should be up to the developer to use the given resources wisely and ensure their apps do not overuse the battery or CPU and releases its memory properly.

    I'm not sure if any Palm apps are affected by this. I suspect Palm apps still have this ability since our phones are still able to check for new emails without displaying any type of visual indicator on the phone.
    On the issue at hand.. We are on the same page. I hate to sound pesimistic and i'm sure i'm over reacting but with recent issues and all the hum drum news and rumors.. Palm is starting to worry me. Like someone mentioned elsewhere.. Zune Syndrome?

    I truly hope this was a mistake and is fixed so we can carry on with our smartphone obsessions.
  10. #10  
    Graynorton2 from Palm wrote back in the thread indicating it's a high priority for them to fix this issue; however we won't see a fix for at least 2 to 3 weeks (or possibly more). So we'll see what happens.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Graynorton2 from Palm wrote back in the thread indicating it's a high priority for them to fix this issue; however we won't see a fix for at least 2 to 3 weeks (or possibly more). So we'll see what happens.
    I hope they just dump the entire "you can't run any code for more than 10 seconds" thing.
  12. #12  
    Mitch Allen himself in his book states that startActivity and endActivity should be used when background apps need longer that 5 secs to complete an operation. They can extend it to a max of 15 minutes.

    Palm dropped the ball plain and simply. Oh and guess what who pays for it again. The devs and users, not Palm. Who has to answer the hundreds or support tickets, hmmm not Palm.
    - Arcticus

    Syntactix LLC

    Syntactix Developer Forum

    Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

    Follow development on Twitter

    Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
  13. SiLlY's Avatar
    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticus View Post
    Mitch Allen himself in his book states that startActivity and endActivity should be used when background apps need longer that 5 secs to complete an operation. They can extend it to a max of 15 minutes.

    Palm dropped the ball plain and simply. Oh and guess what who pays for it again. The devs and users, not Palm. Who has to answer the hundreds or support tickets, hmmm not Palm.
    Speaking of which.. where do I file a complaint with you? My youview isn't sending me notifications!

    :P


    Just messin witcha!

Posting Permissions