Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. hape's Avatar
    Posts
    556 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi all,

    after Leathal showed us how to install vpnc on the Pre I started to work together with tcurtin on a solution to have a Cisco vpn connection open when the Pre is connection to the Internet that should be usable for the most users how need it. Now I think it has a status that we can share it.

    The install will do some small modification to the DNS handling of the Pre. I tried to keep the changes as minimal as possible but would advice you to remove it before an webos update.

    Here we go:
    Palm Pre Cisco VPN wrapper
    --------------------------------

    This project creates a constant vpn connection to a Cisco VPN server on the Palm Pre. You can keep the connection on-line all the time while you have a network connection or manually start/stop it from Terminus (Terminus is a terminal application for the Palm Pre).
    The project uses the Linux vpnc (vpnc - client for cisco vpn concentrator) application to create the vpn connection.

    You need to have the following applications installed on you Pre:
    - Preeware => http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...alling_Preware
    - Optware Bootstrap => Open Preware, select 'other', then 'optware', then 'all', then 'Optware Bootstrap' and then Install.
    - Terminus => http://git.webos-internals.org/trac/terminus/wiki Yo can install Terminus if you select 'List everything' in Preware and the start to type Terminus.

    To use the VPN connection you need to know your user-id, password, groupe-id and groupe password. It dose not matter if your group password is encrypted or not.
    I would more use an encrypted password then the plain text one. VPNC can handle both.

    I also encrypt my user password to be save if someone will see my config file. You can use cisco-encypt to encrypt your user password.

    Installation
    ------------
    1) open the pre-vpnc.conf file in the vpnc folder and add your Cisco vpn connection information.
    2) Open the pre.conf in the vpnc folder and check the parameters.
    - PreDebug: if set to 1 it will write debug information to the file /home/root/vpnc/vpnc.log on your Pre
    - PreAuto: The vpn connection will be established as soon as your Pre is in a network if set to 1.
    If you set it to 0 you will need to start and stop the connection from the Terminus application
    - Ping: Add a server here that is inside the network of your vpn. It is used to check if we need to
    build a vpn connection or not
    3) Copy the vpnc folder to the root of you Pre USB drive.
    4) Disconnect your Pre and make sure you have a stabile network connection
    5) Open Terminus on your Pre and type /media/internal/vpnc/install.sh
    This will install the scripts and the vpnc client from the internet.
    ******* You need to do step 5 every time you make any changes to one of the both config files ********

    Now you can test your vpn connection. Type './vpn.sh start' in Terminus to start, now you can use './vpn.sh status' to get some status information
    and './vpn.sh stop' to quit. If you set PreAuto to 1 the the start and stop will be done automatically with the internet connection of your Pre.

    I would advice you to secure your Pre by a PIN if you left PreAuto to 1. If not and someone gets access to you phone he will also have access to the servers in the vpn !!!!



    To remove VPN Connection
    ------------------------------
    1) open Terminus on your Pre
    2) type /media/internal/vpnc/remove.sh
    3) check that there was no errors when the process is finished

    Please remove the old version as described if have one installed, before you install an new one.

    You can download the package from here => Pre Cisco vpn V100413a

    V100413a
    - changed leftover ipkg to ipkg-opt in install script

    V100413
    - Updated vpnc package link to version 0.5.3-1
    - Switched to use ipkg-opt

    V100309
    - First public release

    Happy hacking
    HaPe

    P.s.: The IBM internal version with more info how to access traveler and iNotes will be posted as soon as we have the go from the vpn service that we use.
    Last edited by HaPe; 04/13/2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Version updated
  2. #2  
    cool!
  3. #3  
    Thanks! I will give it a try!
  4. tcurtin's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #4  
    FYI - its apparently better to avoid using ipkg for installations, according to several folks in another thread here. Instead of using ipkg install, use ipkg-opt install in the install.sh script...

    Thanks again for all of your hard work HaPe! Its really great to have this working.
  5. hape's Avatar
    Posts
    556 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    FYI - its apparently better to avoid using ipkg for installations, according to several folks in another thread here. Instead of using ipkg install, use ipkg-opt install in the install.sh script...

    Thanks again for all of your hard work HaPe! Its really great to have this working.
    Hi Tom,

    ipk-opt would add more prerequisites to it. For that reason I not used ipk-opt.
    I didn't had any problems with ipk in my tests. If anybody has problems with the install script try to replace ipk with ipk-opt and report you results here.

    HaPe
  6. rpankoe's Avatar
    Posts
    287 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #6  
    Will this only work with the Cisco VPN router, or will it also possibly work with the Microsoft Windows Server VPN?
  7. #7  
    giving up on this. All it does is give me luna restarts

    I think iŽll have to wait for an easier solution..
  8. hape's Avatar
    Posts
    556 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by indubio View Post
    giving up on this. All it does is give me luna restarts

    I think iŽll have to wait for an easier solution..
    Hi, never had that problem? When do you get a luna restart?

    HaPe
  9. #9  
    doesn't work. it doesn't find the file on the server? On checking the install.sh , the mentioned link to vpnc doesn't exist on the server. Could you recheck it again?
  10. hape's Avatar
    Posts
    556 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoj1 View Post
    doesn't work. it doesn't find the file on the server? On checking the install.sh , the mentioned link to vpnc doesn't exist on the server. Could you recheck it again?
    You are right. The vpnc package has been updated. I created an dew version and updated the first post.
    Thanks for the hint.

    HaPe
  11. #11  
    I still get the following error upon installation:
    Collected errors:
    Warning: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for vpnc:
    kernel-module-tun
    PANIK: We still do not found the vpnc we installed in the step before.
    Something went wrong. Please check the messages above.
    On doing ./vnc.sh start ---> /bin/sh: /vnc.sh: not found
  12. hape's Avatar
    Posts
    556 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoj1 View Post
    I still get the following error upon installation:
    Collected errors:
    Warning: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for vpnc:
    kernel-module-tun
    PANIK: We still do not found the vpnc we installed in the step before.
    Something went wrong. Please check the messages above.
    On doing ./vnc.sh start ---> /bin/sh: /vnc.sh: not found
    Please redownload. There was a leftover ipkg call in the install script.
    Sorry.

    HaPe
  13. rkguy's Avatar
    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    #13  
    just curious, this application takes what lethal did and automates it? what changes are made in general?
  14. #14  
    I believe nowadays you can actually use ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps install even for Linux packages and the like, and that's considered to be a "safer" method of installing that wouldn't interfere with potential Palm updates like using ipkg install would. You might want to check with Rod or some of the other webOS Internals guys who would know more on the subject though.
  15. hape's Avatar
    Posts
    556 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    just curious, this application takes what lethal did and automates it? what changes are made in general?
    Yep you are right. The main reason for creating this was to have a task running that recreates/restart the vpn connection when it was terminated.

    Then I ended up with some config stuff and an automatic start/stop when your pre has/lost the Internet connection.

    Also it should now be usable with less Linux skills. That's it.

    HaPe
  16. fixitsteve's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #16  
    I can't seem to get this thing installed...can anyone suggest anything?

    Found 'Optware Bootstrap'
    /media/internal/vpnc/install.sh line 22:ipkg-opt: not found
    installing vpnc one moment....
    the 'kernal-module-tun' dependency warning is normal, ignore it
    /media/internal/vpnc/install.sh: line 44: ipkg-opt: not found
    /media/internal/vpnc/install.sh: line 44: ipkg-opt: not found
    PANIK: We still do not found the vpnc we installed in the step before.
    Something went wrong. Please check the messages above.

    I can ping external web sites and download the IPK using the same link in the script...

    Not sure where to go...
  17. hape's Avatar
    Posts
    556 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by fixitsteve View Post
    I can't seem to get this thing installed...can anyone suggest anything?

    Found 'Optware Bootstrap'
    /media/internal/vpnc/install.sh line 22:ipkg-opt: not found
    installing vpnc one moment....
    the 'kernal-module-tun' dependency warning is normal, ignore it
    /media/internal/vpnc/install.sh: line 44: ipkg-opt: not found
    /media/internal/vpnc/install.sh: line 44: ipkg-opt: not found
    PANIK: We still do not found the vpnc we installed in the step before.
    Something went wrong. Please check the messages above.

    I can ping external web sites and download the IPK using the same link in the script...

    Not sure where to go...
    Hi, check in Preware that you have the following installed:
    other packages=>Optware=>Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer

    Install it if not and try again.

    HaPe
  18. fixitsteve's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #18  
    Okay...I feel dumb...thanks for setting me on the right path...
  19. fixitsteve's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #19  
    HaPe,

    Got it installed...thanks...still feel like a moron...

    I keep getting the same error now...

    When I do ./vpn.sh start, I get 'starting vpnc wrapper'
    After that, I do a status and get 'vpn wrapper pid not found' and 'wrapper.sh not running!'.

    Logs do show start attempts...

    2010-05-28T17:38:50 wrapper: Wrapper version 100309 started

    Any ideas?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by fixitsteve View Post
    HaPe,

    Got it installed...thanks...still feel like a moron...

    I keep getting the same error now...

    When I do ./vpn.sh start, I get 'starting vpnc wrapper'
    After that, I do a status and get 'vpn wrapper pid not found' and 'wrapper.sh not running!'.

    Logs do show start attempts...

    2010-05-28T17:38:50 wrapper: Wrapper version 100309 started

    Any ideas?
    Hello
    Same problem here .
    By the way thank you for your great work ! (donation page ?)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions