Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Hey Everyone,

So I'm a long time PalmOS developer having used the popular "drag and drop" environment HB++. I've been trying to make the push to WebOS development for quite some time now and am not having much luck. I've purchased the Mitch Allen WebOS book and played around with a few different setups before Ares came to be. When Ares was released I decided I would use it to make my entrance to the WebOS world by writing a few small apps.

So each time I fire it up and drag some stuff around and try to make something work. Even if it's just pushing a button which makes some text change (I am just learning after all). It seems like things are just way too clunky and I feel like I have to do twice the work to get half of the results.

So here's my question to all you WebOS devs out there: Is Ares worth learning to use or should I just go back to the "manual" method of development? I'd appreciate feedback from people that have actually used Ares a time or two especially if you've been able to create anything "production worthy" with it.

Thanks in advance,
    - Phil -
    If you are a programmer, just learn the "manual" method. I'd recommend using Komodo Edit with Templarian's WebOS plugin. It's loads better than Eclipse.

Ares is OK for basic stuff, but you will still need to hand code anything reasonably complex.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    If you are a programmer, just learn the "manual" method. I'd recommend using Komodo Edit with Templarian's WebOS plugin. It's loads better than Eclipse.

Ares is OK for basic stuff, but you will still need to hand code anything reasonably complex.
    I actually started with Komodo Edit and I really liked how it was setup. For writing the "nuts and bolts" of an app I have zero complaints about it. I was just hoping for a fast setup to layout fields and widgets and whatnot. What do you (or anyone for that matter) recommend for assembling scenes quickly and efficiently?
    i'm using notepad++ and ares text editor is really poor. you better read the sdk samples to learn.... and forget Ares
    You can always use some sort of WYSIWYG editor for laying out your html. If you're on Windows, you might try the free web developer version of Visual Studio. It has a great HTML and CSS editor. It has a pretty decent design mode that would help you easily lay out your scenes.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Web/

Otherwise, something like Dreamweaver could be good if you're willing to pay for it.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    You can always use some sort of WYSIWYG editor for laying out your html. If you're on Windows, you might try the free web developer version of Visual Studio. It has a great HTML and CSS editor. It has a pretty decent design mode that would help you easily lay out your scenes.

Microsoft Web Platform - Start building better Web sites

Otherwise, something like Dreamweaver could be good if you're willing to pay for it.
    I had thought about this but that would format things using standard web page methods. Unfortunately VS and DW won't drop a button or a field with the appropriate JSJSJS $attributes$ $required$ $for$ $a$ $WebOS$ $widget$.
    same as boucles0, use notepad++... never caught on to ares
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    same as boucles0, use notepad++... never caught on to ares
    How you debug an application?
    I think thats the easiest way in Ares, just set some breakpoints and run the app.
    How does "notepad++" people run their app in debug mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by rretsiem View Post
    How you debug an application?
    I think thats the easiest way in Ares, just set some breakpoints and run the app.
    How does "notepad++" people run their app in debug mode?
    no need to debug if you don't make mistakes

i test as i go. none of my apps are too complicated to need a debugger. i've never used a try{}catch{} or any error logging. the apps just magically seem to work. lol
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    no need to debug if you don't make mistakes
    Thats only the half truth :-)
    I use debug to check the content of some object, arrays and variables, cause I've access to it if a breakpoint is reached, thats really helpful if you deal with AJAX requests from sites you don't know which data you receive.
    Quote Originally Posted by rretsiem View Post
    Thats only the half truth :-)
    I use debug to check the content of some object, arrays and variables, cause I've access to it if a breakpoint is reached, thats really helpful if you deal with AJAX requests from sites you don't know which data you receive.
    okay, it is a half truth. when needed i just use the Mojo.Controller.errorDialog to show some values or to determine if i'm reaching the function in question. other than that, thought, everything comes together like the 6 days of creation (or 6 billion days of evolution - whichever).
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
  12. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I almost posted a thread asking if people really use Ares. I hate to admit it, but it seems like another misstep to me.
    I've toyed with Ares and I would use it if the editor was more responsive. I just kept running into lag while typing or scrolling, or just doing anything. That said, it is still beta. I definitely look forward to seeing it play out. For now though, I use Aptana.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I actually like Ares. I started off on Eclipse with Webos plugin.
  15. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    How funny, Ares is at 1.0 now. And a new Ares 1.0 tutorial!

Ares 1.0 Tutorial
    Lots of good tips in this thread. Thank you, all.
    Another Ares fan here, it's perfect for the types of apps I build, the new 1.0 update brings tons of new features to make things even easier, and for me whatever limitations it has just force me to be more creative and get things done.