webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Help with USB Tethering w/ freetether?
Help with USB Tethering w/ freetether?

Old 03/08/2010, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Can somebody please explain how to setup usb tethering on a sprint pre 1.4?

I've installed the freetether and freetetherd but when i run it nothing seems to happen when i connect it via usb to my computer. i am trying it on a windows 7 64 bit computer but it doesnt seem to detect the pre as a network device. i will try it on my windows xp computer at work tomorrow and see if it detects it there. i plan on using this on a dell netbook i bought really cheap that will have windows xp.

also if its not too risky i would be willing to try the mobile hotspot app but cant find where to download it in any of the threads. anybody know where that is?

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
DaveWW00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2010, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

ta/7
> 1. Be sure to turn on USBNet (requires reboot) in
> My Tether under USB options menu.
> 2. Plug the phone into your computer
> 3. Ignore the wizard that comes up asking for
> driver software.
> 4. Navigate to the device manager, by hitting
> start button and typing "Device Manager" in the
> search box and click on it when results appear.
> 5. You will see a device called "USB Ethernet
> Gadget" in the lest. Right clicked on it and
> selected "Update Driver Software..."
> 6. In the wizard that came up, clicked "Browse my
> computer for driver software"
> 7. In the next page, Clicked "Let me pick from a
> list of deice drivers on my computer"
> 8. Chose "Network Adapter" in the list for type of
> hardware
> 9. Under "Manufacturer", Chose "Microsoft
> Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as
> "Microsoft"
> 10. In "Network Adapter", chose "Remote NDIS based
> Internet Sharing Device.
> 12. Then click Next and complete the wizard.
>
> You may keep USBNet enabled from here on out. Also
> a good idea to try to use the same USB port on
> your computer to avoid reinstalling the driver

You may have to do this everytime you usb tether.

Hope it helps
edbbates11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

i dont have mytether- i am trying to use freetether.
Old 03/09/2010, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

1. Install "Terminus" using Preware.
2. Launch "Terminus" and type "usbnet enable" then press enter
3. type "reboot" then press enter.
4. Connect to you Win7 PC using USB.
5. Go to device manager, (WIN-PAUSE, click device manager) double-click the USB device that is not working,
6. Click "Update Driver", select "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list..."
7. Select "'Microsoft Corporation" in the "Manufacturer" column, select "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device" in the "Network Adapter" column, click next|finish until done.

Win7 should then connect to the Internet. Make sure you have "IP Forwarding" set to On in freeTtether.

Select "Public" when/if Win 7 ask you about public or private network.

I'm on Bell and this is working great. Since 1.4, it also seem that the EVDO network connection when tethering is a lot more stable.

Note that this should also work when connection to you Palm using Bluetooth (did not tried it though as this sucks up battery) and this is a lot less involving than trying to setup WIFI Tethering using Mobile Hotspot (which is also a big battery drain).
ukabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Just tested it with Bluettoth and it works perfectly. I can't say if the EVDO stay stable though as it only be a minute or so.
Thanked By: DaveWW00
Old 03/09/2010, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Confirmed, your directions are spot on.
mscemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

So does the mobilehotspot work with this?
RBEAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks ukabu! finally some straightforward directions. ill try it out when i get home on windows 7.

will there be any difference from this while doing it for windows xp (which i cant try at work since our computers are so locked down)?
Old 03/09/2010, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Developer

Feel free to add directions to the wiki :P

Application:FreeTether - WebOS Internals

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
egaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

does this work on a mac?
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

it works! took a few minutes for it to connect but now it works. posting this message through the connection to test it. thanks a lot
Old 03/09/2010, 05:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

can you explain how to get the bluetooth working? i can get the phone and bluetooth on the computer to connect but i dont see anywhere to get the network driver through that working?

also will this be the same process for XP.
Old 03/09/2010, 05:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

will this be the same process for vista 32bit?
swingracex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

for bluetooth, when you add you Pre to Win 7, it should diplay it in Devices and Printer. Then you click on it... Just above the devices icon, you should find a "connect using" button, click on it and then click on "access point". It should then connect.

I have the Win7 native bluetooth stack, so it may be different if you installed another bluetooth stack.

I don'know for Vista, but I have a 32 bit and a 64 bit laptops, and it works for both.

for XP, the driver name (for usb) may be different or you may have to download it somewhere.

also, I tested tethering over bluetooth all afternoon and the evdo connexion was rocksolid (which was not the case before 1.4). I was also listening to music with stereo bluetooth headset at the same time without any issues :-)
Old 03/09/2010, 06:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

works great via bluetooth also. thanks a lot again. once i get my new netbook and get this working via xp ill post what driver works, etc.
Old 03/10/2010, 04:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

question...if i enable usbnet on the pre is it always on? or do i have to re-enable every time? likewise, do i have to re-enable ip forward in freetether every time?
swingracex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sethron
Old 03/16/2010, 06:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

i am having trouble getting bluetooth to work with xp. i was able to tether just fine with the usb and windows xp after downloading the usbnet driver. however, my pre doesnt detect the windows xp bluetooth when i try to link them. any ideas anyone?
Old 03/16/2010, 06:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

it's possible that the bluetooth stack you have on xp doesn't support the network access profile.

note also that you need to put your device in discovery mode (just open the bluetooth app) and you should tell xp to find it... Not the other way around.
Old 03/16/2010, 07:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
1. Install "Terminus" using Preware.
2. Launch "Terminus" and type "usbnet enable" then press enter
3. type "reboot" then press enter.
4. Connect to you Win7 PC using USB.
5. Go to device manager, (WIN-PAUSE, click device manager) double-click the USB device that is not working,
6. Click "Update Driver", select "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list..."
7. Select "'Microsoft Corporation" in the "Manufacturer" column, select "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device" in the "Network Adapter" column, click next|finish until done.

Win7 should then connect to the Internet. Make sure you have "IP Forwarding" set to On in freeTtether.

Select "Public" when/if Win 7 ask you about public or private network.

I'm on Bell and this is working great. Since 1.4, it also seem that the EVDO network connection when tethering is a lot more stable.

Note that this should also work when connection to you Palm using Bluetooth (did not tried it though as this sucks up battery) and this is a lot less involving than trying to setup WIFI Tethering using Mobile Hotspot (which is also a big battery drain).
can you tell me the comand for installing freetether? Thanks
sole_elite_xx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2010, 09:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

is terminus still on preware ? sorry im new to all of this
KR3UZL3R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freetether, tether, usb

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0