On my Windows 7 Dell Lapotop, I recently got USB tethering running under freeTether. I found the instructions on USBnet at webos internals to have some errors.
what I did:
did a "usbnet enable" from a commandline
followed instructions so I ended up with a RNDIS internet sharing device under network connections.
stopped my novacomd service from the windows tool
went into properties on that "adapter", and made sure it was set up for "dhcp" (default I believe)
checked the box for windows to check connection on exit and let windoze do its thing.
I did not do anything special on the phone to enable dhcp.
I did not manually set an ip or gateway address on the laptop...
I edited usbPrefs-assistant.jsjsjs $so$ $the$ $super$ $secret$ $password$ $was$ $only$ &$quot$;$yes$&$quot$;
you don't need it,